Happy Holidays - There *are* kind people!

Just wanted to share a little story...

I generally never answer my phone unless I know what phone number it is. Recently changed my #, and I assume the previous "owner" had a lot of bills to pay, because I keep getting called asking for her. Last night, however, this one number kept calling...and calling...and calling. Finally turned my phone to silent to ignore all the calls!

A while later, I noticed my phone light up due to a text message I had missed 30min earlier. It was the same number that had kept calling me, but the message mentioned something about my layaway purchase at a local Wal-Mart and even had my name in it...so I *knew* something was up!

I call the number as instructed and get put on hold for a little while. A lady answers and I tell her that I am calling about the message about my layaway. She confirms my name and proceeds to tell me about the "anonymous good Samaritan" that had come into the store, told the layaway person to pick 10 random people, and that he would pay off their layaway purchases.

Now, I didn't have much on layaway (about $150 worth of gifts for my nephews and niece), but jeez was I happy to hear the news! Saves me a bit of pocket cash, at least. But as happy as I am? I can't imagine what the other 9 people think, *and* the lady on the phone was pretty excited as well!

I wish I were in the kind of position where I could do this for others. Sadly, I can only give back kindness in gestures, advice, or just a kind word.

Anyone else have a "Happy Holidays" story?

Not to rain on your parade, you sure this wasn't a scammer in disguise?

Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    Not to rain on your parade, you sure this wasn't a scammer in disguise?
    Quite sure. I've already picked up my items.

Deleted
    i dont understand, whats a layaway? some sort of wish list?

Deleted
    Did she ask for any personal details? Call the store and confirm its true.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    I think they can put things aside and pay it off bit by bit, if they can't afford it all at once. So for people who might be short on cash during christmas they might still be able to buy their kids gifts etc.

Lovely story mate.

Question though, is it tax deducatable to do that in the US?

I gave a christmas gift to an organization that distribute xmas presents to poor people myself worth 450 SEK($70) which is deducatable, so pay more in taxes or give away christmas gifts to poor folks? Easy choice for me during the xmas season.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Basically you get the product but pay later. I have never done it as I prefer to pay up front but that's just me.

OP That's awesome. Never done anything like that but I have heard of people paying for the person behind him in the Tim Horton's line. It's like the movie of Pay It Forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    Basically you get the product but pay later. I have never done it as I prefer to pay up front but that's just me.

OP That's awesome. Never done anything like that but I have heard of people paying for the person behind him in the Tim Horton's line. It's like the movie of Pay It Forward.
    You don't get the product until it's paid for. Layaway just puts it on hold and lets you pay a bit at a time. I suppose you can think of it as a bank account solely for your purchases, once you have enough in your "bank account" you go "pay for your items" and bring them home.