Thread: Another one

Another one

Seriously wondering how people like this can rise to positions of power.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-8414674.html

Surely he saw the backlash that Akin received? What could he have been thinking :S

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Seriously wondering how people like this can rise to positions of power.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-8414674.html

Surely he saw the backlash that Akin received? What could he have been thinking :S
    Amazing such people can reach the level of judge. You would think that they would be weeded out in the institutions of knowledge that is university.

Oh, that poor victim, to run into this kind of misogyny in a hateful and ignorant coward masquerading as a judge. He remains a judge even now, four years after he has clearly revealed himself to misogynist. He is trivialising rape and perpetuating rape myths from the bench, in order to cut an entire decade off the sentence of violent convicted rapists. And this is someone who worked as a prosecutor in a sex crimes unit. People wonder why most rape victims don't go to the police.

Judge Johnson was making the comments in the case of a man who threatened to mutilate the face and genitals of his ex-girlfriend with a heated screwdriver. The man also beat her with a metal baton and made violent threats before committing rape and forcing oral copulation.

Deleted
    It's very sickening to know that he reached such high office in a semi enlightened age, i would hope he would be suspended without pay and possibly fired. What he did demeans all sex offences, against both male and female.

He also discourages women who have been raped or forced into sexual acts to not report it for fear of being labeled by old sad men like the judge himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Amazing such people can reach the level of judge. You would think that they would be weeded out in the institutions of knowledge that is university.
    I guess he hasn't been part of a trial like this before. Either rapes where the woman fought back or none at all. Its still pretty stupid since sex is basically rape if she says she doesnt want it even without words, and she was physically threatened in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    I guess he hasn't been part of a trial like this before.
    He was a prosecutor in the sex crimes unit. There is no excuse for his misogynistic views other than his own subscription to rape myths.

When we have people in high offices that are evolution deniers, it puts pretty much everything on the table. If you can be sufficiently willfully ignorant to buy into creationism, you can buy pretty much anything that you want to believe. These people aren't even just anti-science, they're anti-reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    When we have people in high offices that are evolution deniers, it puts pretty much everything on the table. If you can be sufficiently willfully ignorant to buy into creationism, you can buy pretty much anything that you want to believe. These people aren't even just anti-science, they're anti-reality.

I don't think it's even that, I just think it's people who for some reason think girls *deserve* it via revealing clothes and all that. Etc etc. Akins and those that are like him are....fools at best.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    I don't think it's even that, I just think it's people who for some reason think girls *deserve* it via revealing clothes and all that. Etc etc. Akins and those that are like him are....fools at best.
    It's because they don't sympathise with the specific rape victim, or they want to oppress a rape victim (no abortions for you!), or they side with the rapist more (10 years just for beating and raping someone? Gotta cut that). But they don't want to actually trivialise rape. So instead they justify demeaning the individual victims by saying they aren't "really" raped. After all if the victim wasn't "really" raped, then it is totally fine for judge and congressman to trample all over their dignity and rights, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Akin and others like him have a little something in common, and it's not just a matter of having a low IQ, although I wish it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    How are people this fucking stupid?

Sperm will fertilize an egg no matter how it's injected, whether through force or consent. Sperm doesn't give a fuck. Women can't just "shut down" their uterus.

What sort of retarded idiocy is being taught in this country? It's basic high school sex ed.

"If a woman doesn't fight back . . ." Oh right, because she can't be intimidated into submission right? What a fucking idiot this judge is.
    Putin khuliyo

Yeah it's reminiscent of the whole 'If the woman is wet then it's not rape' card that some people were trying to pull, heinously attempting to make the victim complicit :S

According to police reports Judge Johnson said: 'I’m not a gynecologist, but I can tell you something, if someone doesn’t want to have sexual intercourse, the body shuts down. The body will not permit that to happen unless a lot of damage in inflicted, and we heard nothing about that in this case.
    The bolded part is where he should have decided to STFU.

Kinda sounds like an anecdote though. Maybe he's had people "shut down" on him in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post

Kinda sounds like an anecdote though. Maybe he's had people "shut down" on him in the past.
    Indeed. If he's not a gynecologist, why does he think he has any authority in gynecology?
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post

He should be stripped of his rank and authority the second he made that sentence. W. O. W.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I think it's sad that people who think this way get into positions of power, it's not like we rape-test every person who runs for office. We don't know every little thing that might make a person bigoted necessarily going into the voting booth. This is especially true for positions like Judge, where even if people want to research the positions of the candidates, there's often little to no public information available about them.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Most trial court level judges are elected in the USA, including this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Most trial court level judges are elected in the USA, including this one.
    Yeah. The system encourage judges to judge out from the popular demand when it's close to election.
    I do sincerely hope that won't make him reelected.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

I never knew people can be this dumb, owell.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    While I think it's sad that people who think this way get into positions of power, it's not like we rape-test every person who runs for office. We don't know every little thing that might make a person bigoted necessarily going into the voting booth.
    It's not exactly a little thing for a judge who worked as a prosecutor for sex crimes, to think that a rape victim wasn't really raped if she didn't fight her assailant off. This is a grievous failure of the system that someone with such an incredibly bigoted lack of understanding of his own are of expertise is even nominated for the bench.