Thread: I got owned.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I got owned.

Okay so today, our LAST day in our dorm, me and my friend got busted by university police for having 1/2 oz of marijuana. Yes, this is a lot of weed, we just bought it from someone we know here to spread out over break. But anyway, they smelled it and basically we were forced to cooperate because it was so obvious the way in which it happened which I don't feel like going into detail too.

However, it was hidden, and we complied with the officers the whole time, they asked us if we had more and we instantly showed them where it was hidden out of fear of being searched/worse ramifications.

So, as you can imagine, we were very saddened, not angry, but more like "wow fuck us right". They assured us that the university would not kick us out for this first offense, and there was no talk of a possible distribution charge, it wasn't even mentioned which I thought it would be with such a large amount (and no, if you read the story, we don't distribute.)

However, we will probably be facing fines and penalty from the university, and the cops told us we would receive a court summons in 4-6 weeks. I have already told my parents because i'm not stupid. I plan on quitting smoking until it becomes legalized because at this point it really isn't worth the risk that it brings. Rather, ill just drown my sorrows because according to the US government that's better, but that's another topic that I don't want this thread to turn into.

Basically, I plan on taking an "addiction" program from the state so I can get the certificate before my court date, and I am hoping that this will make the judge see that I realized the mistake I made and am trying to change myself for the better and put this behind me before I even go to court. I am just worried that there is a chance this won't get expunged from my record. I will do whatever community service the judge will almost undoubtedly assign for punishment.

A few of my friends have suggested I hire a lawyer to be extra safe, but others have told me I will be fine if I take the class and a shit state appointment lawyer will easily get the charge expunged.

I also live in a US state where weed isn't legal in any way (including medicinal)

In the end, I want to know if you guys think. Will my charge easily be expunged if I do the program with a state appointed lawyer? Possible punishments? Do I need a lawyer? etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

Edit: Also, more than half of the weed was already grinded up, so it probably all in all was less than 10 grams, however, I am not 100% sure.
    Last edited by Packers; 2012-12-19 at 08:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers View Post
    Okay so today, our LAST day in our dorm, me and my friend got busted by university police for having 1/2 oz of marijuana. Yes, this is a lot of weed, we just bought it from someone we know here to spread out over break. But anyway, they smelled it and basically we were forced to cooperate because it was so obvious the way in which it happened which I don't feel like going into detail too.

However, it was hidden, and we complied with the officers the whole time, they asked us if we had more and we instantly showed them where it was hidden out of fear of being searched/worse ramifications.

So, as you can imagine, we were very saddened, not angry, but more like "wow fuck us right". They assured us that the university would not kick us out for this first offense, and there was no talk of a possible distribution charge, it wasn't even mentioned which I thought it would be with such a large amount (and no, if you read the story, we don't distribute.)

However, we will probably be facing fines and penalty from the university, and the cops told us we would receive a court summons in 4-6 weeks. I have already told my parents because i'm not stupid. I plan on quitting smoking until it becomes legalized because at this point it really isn't worth the risk that it brings. Rather, ill just drown my sorrows because according to the US government that's better, but that's another topic that I don't want this thread to turn into.

Basically, I plan on taking an "addiction" program from the state so I can get the certificate before my court date, and I am hoping that this will make the judge see that I realized the mistake I made and am trying to change myself for the better and put this behind me before I even go to court. I am just worried that there is a chance this won't get expunged from my record. I will do whatever community service the judge will almost undoubtedly assign for punishment.

A few of my friends have suggested I hire a lawyer to be extra safe, but others have told me I will be fine if I take the class and a shit state appointment lawyer will easily get the charge expunged.

I also live in a US state where weed isn't legal in any way (including medicinal)

In the end, I want to know if you guys think. Will my charge easily be expunged if I do the program with a state appointed lawyer? Possible punishments? Do I need a lawyer? etc.

This will never be removed from your record.
    Enjoy bearing the consequences of your stupidities and be glad this is all you got punishment wise.

Quote Originally Posted by lollze View Post
    Enjoy bearing the consequences of your stupidities and be glad this is all you got punishment wise.
    Why even post something like this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lawyer would be the person to ask, not the internet.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I think a lawyer would be the person to ask, not the internet.
    Why, here there's a good chance to meet somebody that may have had a similar experience.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

No idea, but I'm sure the cops have had their fair share of smoking days, and probably even the judge. I don't think they'll be too harsh, then again I'm definitely not a lawyer.

Okay did that make you feel better? The guy is obviously sorry for what he did, and was asking for advice. No need to kick him while he's down.

@OP I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure as long as you didn't have a scale//baggies they won't hit you with distribution. Also, while I'm sure it varies from state to state, they usually don't go for blood if you're carrying under 1 oz. The rehab will help ease the punishment, but don't expect to get out scot-free.

For carrying weed in Kentucky (just an example state) you can expect:
    A class B misdemeanor charge and a MAX of 45 days in jail. (Keep in mind this is up to EIGHT oz. of pot)

Google up your situation I was able to find that in 10 seconds. If your state is harsher than Kentucky I would recommend getting a lawyer. Good luck.
    Last edited by Flappy; 2012-12-19 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    No idea, but I'm sure the cops have had their fair share of smoking days, and probably even the judge. I don't think they'll be too harsh, then again I'm definitely not a lawyer.
    What makes you think the cops and the judge have had to have done drugs in there past? Not every teen / kid has tried drugs nor ever will.

That is a severe amount of weed, you are extremely lucky they did not bring you in on that because you would have really been f*cked. It is very unlikely to ever get expunged off your record at your age, I have many friends (I grew up in the ghetto) who had drug charges on them and only a few got it removed before 18 and I don't know any after that age even with lawyers. It's a case to case thing though, but a court appointed lawyer won't try hard at all, despite what you have heard. This is all my local experiences though.

You should talk to a lawyer that specializes in this area locally, they will be far more help toward you and know your local courts better then anyone on the internet.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    America: Where shooting someone in the face in "self-defence" gets you in less trouble than smoking some weed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flappy View Post
    Okay did that make you feel better? The guy is obviously sorry for what he did, and was asking for advice. No need to kick him while he's down.

@OP I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure as long as you didn't have a scale//baggies they won't hit you with distribution. Also, while I'm sure it varies from state to state, they usually don't go for blood if you're carrying under 1 oz. The rehab will help ease the punishment, but don't expect to get out scot-free.

A class B misdemeanor charge and a MAX of 45 days in jail. (Keep in mind this is up to EIGHT oz. of pot)

Google up your situation I was able to find that in 10 seconds. If your state is harsher than Kentucky I would recommend getting a lawyer. Good luck.
    Distribution is based on the amount you have, not what other stuff you have.

Deleted

I want to know if you guys think. Will my charge easily be expunged if I do the program with a state appointed lawyer? Possible punishments?

He wanted to know. i told him.
    He isnt sorry for what he did, he is sorry that he got caught and is now trying to do everything to weasel his way out of any long lasting consequences.
    Now gtfo bleeding heart.

Based on the statistics, if you are white you have nothing to worry about.

Deleted
    Why even post something like this?
    You asked if that mark will be removed, remember

"Winston: We grow copious amounts of ganja, yeah?
    Willie: Yeah.
    Winston: And you're carrying a wasted girl and a bag of fertilizer. You don't look like your average horti-fucking-culturist! That's what I mean, Willie."

Be careful next time.

And don't forget to come here in 4-6 weeks and tell us about your experience

10+ Year Old Account
    He wanted to know. i told him.
    He isnt sorry for what he did, he is sorry that he got caught and is now trying to do everything to weasel his way out of any long lasting consequences.
    Now gtfo bleeding heart.
    If you don't want to discuss something, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Distribution is based on the amount you have, not what other stuff you have.
    Circumstantial evidence and reasonable inferences drawn from that evidence can be used as evidence of intent. Narcotics experts, usually law-enforcement officers, may give their opinion about the possessors intent as testimony. Circumstances tending to prove intent to sell include the quantity of narcotic, equipment found with it, and place it was found. People v. de la Torre, 73 Cal. Rptr. 704 (App. 2 Dist. 1968).

It's both. When you have a small amount like the OP, they will look at other things closer (IE Tools and location). You could have .20 oz but if you had a scale and baggies you can get hit with distribution.

Circumstantial evidence and reasonable inferences drawn from that evidence can be used as evidence of intent. Narcotics experts, usually law-enforcement officers, may give their opinion about the possessors intent as testimony. Circumstances tending to prove intent to sell include the quantity of narcotic, equipment found with it, and place it was found. People v. de la Torre, 73 Cal. Rptr. 704 (App. 2 Dist. 1968).

It's both. When you have a small amount like the OP, they will look at other things closer (IE Tools and location). You could have .20 oz but if you had a scale and baggies you can get hit with distribution.
    Fair enough. Most experiences people I know have had with it, it is was based soley on the amount they had, not that they did or did not have other paraphenalia.

Deleted
    He isnt sorry for what he did,
    And why should he? So what, he bought weed. As long as he doesn't distribute it, he hurts no one other than himself. And if I read it right, 'Rather, ill just drown my sorrows' means he has some other stuff going on, too. Weed is no solution, but it sure as hell eases the pain Let me say it this way: there are countries and states that legalize medicinal and/or regular weed for a reason, as they don't see major dangers in it. And there is a reason why you won't get too much of a hassle for owning a few grams of it in most western countries.

I'm talking about his morals, not actual U.S. laws, which I have no idea of. So yeah, I'm no help at all, but I don't care.. :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maddeliciousone View Post
    And why should he? So what, he bought weed. As long as he doesn't distribute it, he hurts no one other than himself. And if I read it right, 'Rather, ill just drown my sorrows' means he has some other stuff going on, too. Weed is no solution, but it sure as hell eases the pain Let me say it this way: there are countries and states that legalize medicinal and/or regular weed for a reason, as they don't see major dangers in it. And there is a reason why you won't get too much of a hassle for owning a few grams of it in most western countries.

I'm talking about his morals, not actual U.S. laws, which I have no idea of. So yeah, I'm no help at all, but I don't care.. :>
    It doesn't matter if you agree with the laws or not, you broke them, and there are consequences for that.

He might be able to get some kind of stipulation that the charge be wiped from his record if he's a good little boy from here on out, but I doubt it. Again, talking to a lawyer and not the internet is what needs to be done here.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    It doesn't matter if you agree with the laws or not, you broke them, and there are consequences for that.

He might be able to get some kind of stipulation that the charge be wiped from his record if he's a good little boy from here on out, but I doubt it. Again, talking to a lawyer and not the internet is what needs to be done here.
    How many unjust laws have been stricken down in the past? Arguing about the validity of laws is perfectly fine. Reminding people of something that other people will impose consequences on you for doing something they don't want you to do is useless.