Iron Hawk vs Spirit Bond

hi guys, can someone please summarize on which fights is SB superior to AotIH? speaking of normal modes mostly, prolly MV HC as well

thanks

Shouldn't be too hard to work out. Fights where you take damage, obviously, but not enough for the damage reduction to overcome the healing from SB.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Iron Hawk 99% of the time. If for some reason I'm taking spike damage every once in awhile I might use SB or Exhil

If you are taking constant damage, Spirit Bond might do better than Iron Hawk, there was some numbers on it a while back saying that Spirit Bond is better than Iron Hawk on Ultraxion.

If damage is every so often or rarely at all, Iron Hawk is the way to go.

I saw somewhere that SB can be superior on Blade Lord but not sure tho

@Jeremy very nice dps parse on Elegon last week and other bosses as well, you were so ahead of another hunter with similar gear..gj

Deleted
    I calculated it once for Garalon since it's one of the situations where you have constant damage. In normal 10man Spirit Bond only started getting better hps once I would get 445k hp.
    When we start doing wote hc or garalon hc I'll do it again but I'm pretty sure ironhawk would still be on top.

But next tier Spirit Bond might allready be the victor in fights with non-stop damage once we get our hp up.

Only fight I change Ironhawk is Blade Lord. 10man without optimal healing means you have to take care of yourself in P2.
    So many 10m balancing problems in mop

Iron Hawk for pretty much all raiding. Couple it with Glyph of Animal Bond and you'll be a healer's best friend.

I only use Spirit Bond for solo play, as it makes your pet practically immortal for most things.

There's a few places where SB might mathematically be better, but in terms of what a healer wants, it's for people to not die when they take the big hit. After that they have efficient heals or hots anyway. If you're taking less than a certain amount of damage, the healer sees you as background noise anyway, and you'll likely be healed by incidental procs and AoE before the healers have even thought about it.

We seem to have mostly moved away from the Wrath raid damage model where everyone took a tick every few seconds to give the 4 raid healers something to do between throwing the odd hot on a tank.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Konik View Post
    hi guys, can someone please summarize on which fights is SB superior to AotIH? speaking of normal modes mostly, prolly MV HC as well

thanks
    you need your HP to be below 100% enough of the time so you actually receive the SB heals as healing and not over healing. Will HC is the only one that comes to mind

I've started to use Exhilaration for fights where you take burst damage or on fights where healers might have a hard time healing you quick enough and it has helped out tremendously.

Fights that it has helped so far... Garalon Heroic, when I have to kite. It also helps on Heroic Blade Lord on the last phase where you have to run... start running pop deterence, spirit mend, exhilaration, cookie if needed. Readiness after popping DPS cds and you can pretty much do all that all over again running to the other side, minus the cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerato View Post
    I use Iron Hawk 99% of the time. If for some reason I'm taking spike damage every once in awhile I might use SB or Exhil
    Spike damage is when Iron Hawk is the best. The only time I've switched to Spirit Bond is on our first few blade lord attempts when our healers were flailing about during the last 20% tornado phase, and it was awesome for that. However, in the first phase I was squishy as hell and was taking more damage than anyone else from unseen strikes, so if you die there its all for nothing.

Spirit Bond on Heroic Will is the only scenario that springs to mind for me. Most of the raid damage these days comes in large predictable bursts, where mitigation will more likely save you than a weak HoT.

Spirit Bond is great for bosses where you take constant damage, even more so if there are periods where you may not get any heals due to mechanics/stuns/etc. I swap between the two for progression depending on the fight. Fights like Heroic Vizier where you take constant damage from either pulses, rings, and/or being converted are where SB shines quite a bit. Flat damage fights where you damage comes in predicted points and there isn't too much extra damage is where Iron Hawk is good. All in all it's your choice, on farm I just stick with Spirit Bond due to /farmmode. When it comes to progression I make decision based on mechanics the spec i'll be playing. I also always use a spirit beast for heroic fights where I am BM due to the heal ability they have. I have a mouseover/self use (if no one is moused over or targeted) macro that I use that is cash.

Heroic Garalon and Heroic Blade Lord (phase 2) are perfect scenarios for Spirit Bond.
    Last edited by ihatepeople; 2012-12-19 at 07:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I am finding Exhilaration to be far, far more useful as I focus a little more on heroics. That plus Spirit Mend + Readiness for another Exhilaration as needed makes for some reliable heals when the big hits come.

It's also pretty great in Brawler's Guild, where the amount of healing you receive (Spirit Bond) is basically useless compared to the need for a quick large heal, and damage reduction from IronHawk means your already dead when some of those guys hit for like 100k per swing.

To each their own though, Spirit Bond is fine if you don't mind having your healers watch your bar - I don't consider my living to be their responsibility, so I take it in hand when I know I am going to need it and let them focus on the tanks and themselves... and other bad players
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Honestly, I am finding Exhilaration to be far, far more useful as I focus a little more on heroics. That plus Spirit Mend + Readiness for another Exhilaration as needed makes for some reliable heals when the big hits come.

It's also pretty great in Brawler's Guild, where the amount of healing you receive (Spirit Bond) is basically useless compared to the need for a quick large heal, and damage reduction from IronHawk means your already dead when some of those guys hit for like 100k per swing.

To each their own though, Spirit Bond is fine if you don't mind having your healers watch your bar - I don't consider my living to be their responsibility, so I take it in hand when I know I am going to need it and let them focus on the tanks and themselves... and other bad players
    Healers already constantly "watch your bar", it's kind of what the job entails. And not all of the fights have "big hits" per say, some fights have a shitton of raid damage spread throughout the fight.