Page 1 of 2
LastLast

P2 Tsulong Healing as Disc?

As the Title states I was wondering what people were doing during the day phase to do competitive hps?

I haven't actually played this fight as disc, but...

Obviously grace must at least up.
    Also, abuse Archangel and Power Infusion to rake up healing bonuses and - hey, you can even use an intellect pot. I always go for the mana pot as Holy, but disc should have it as a genuine option... Beyond that, it's just all about healing normally, which isn't going to impress anyone, but still should work out. Disc can do quite good single target HPS. What you are going to lose out on is that Guardian Spirit. It really makes a difference since it affects ALL healers, not just your own...
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

I've now healed this fight three times as disc, and I'm getting a little more polished each week with how I do it. I'll share my thoughts, and would be interested in hearing from other disc priests as well.

The first thing I do is make sure I'm in front of Tsulong so I can get hit by the breath. There is a good amount of time between switching to Day Phase and when the first breath is cast, so don't waste your time running right away. Only run when you have an instant cast to use, or while channeling Penance with the glyph.

I then start spamming Gheal almost nonstop until the first breath is cast. When there is about 1sec left on the cast time, I start casting Flash Heal. While the breath buff is active, I spam flash heal, then with about .5sec left of the buff I cast renew and go back to Gheal spam. (I'm not sure if renew takes a snapshot of the healing buff, I should look in to that actually.)

It looks like renew does take a snapshot of the healing buff. You can see here that renew is ticking for 78-83k (except the first two casts, where it looks like I was slightly too slow), which is exactly 500% higher than an unbuffed tick of renew. http://worldoflogs.com/reports/2jv56...3D+%22Renew%22

I shield the tank for rapture procs, and I try to hit the big add with Holy Fire and Penance. The adds die so fast that it can be hard to cast them, so I mostly just use Penance on Tsulong.

Using those tactics, I heal Tsulong for about 20mil total, and end the fight with 100-110k HPS.
    Last edited by Urumii; 2012-12-19 at 06:01 AM.

Your hots are affected by the breath buff even if they are already up.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Deleted
    also, save Inner Focus for the breaths, i know it sound obvious its nice to reiterate it.

if timed well i can get 3x greater heals off in the breath, with 1 of those being a guaranteed crit its kinda nice.

i was thinking about going back to PVP 4 piece for the fight, any comments? an extra 50% heal on every breath sound sweet

Spec Holy, it's better.

Both Holy and Disc perform "badly" on this fight. Go Holy to make the two strongest classes: Monk and Paladins, even stronger. You're only there for Guardian Spirit in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by HamSandwichFace View Post
    Spec Holy, it's better.

Both Holy and Disc perform "badly" on this fight. Go Holy to make the two strongest classes: Monk and Paladins, even stronger. You're only there for Guardian Spirit in reality.
    What do you think this is? ICC/Dreamwalker? In actuality, we can perform quite well Echo of Light/Chakra: Serenity is great on this fight... but Shaman are amazing given "Deep Healing", their mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by derevka View Post
    What do you think this is? ICC/Dreamwalker? In actuality, we can perform quite well Echo of Light/Chakra: Serenity is great on this fight... but Shaman are amazing given "Deep Healing", their mastery.
    I'm speaking Heroic primarily.

I'm speaking Heroic primarily.
    Holy is still amazing outside of GS. We are the strongest healers by a long shot for night phase. You can dish out some serious healing with Serenity FH FH GH spam and keeping Renew up (and of course, EoL).

Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    Holy is still amazing outside of GS. We are the strongest healers by a long shot for night phase. You can dish out some serious healing with Serenity FH FH GH spam and keeping Renew up.
    The Night phase is mostly about healing through some serious raid damage. All classes can do that. Mistweavers with eminence + uplifts, Paladins with HR + raid CDs, Holy Priests (yes you are really good here, our Holy Priest can hit 120-130k hps) are great too, so are all classes with AoE heals. Resto Druids less so, poor Druids! Mostly though that fight is about the Day phase and on heroic there is no competition: Mistweavers own it and Paladins (inside their CDs: Execution Sentence, Guardian etc) just completely make Priests worthwhile *purely* (as I said above) for Guardian Spirit.

Spec Holy, it's better.

man I had no idea I was bad on this fight, I mean if 130-150k is bad then imagine what I'd do with a monk

OT: before breath, grace(3), AA, renew on boss, Int pot + Inner focus pre cast Gheal while hes casting breath to hit as soon as it can after you get the buff, cascade, flash healx2, penance(first tick will be buffed as long as its right at the end of the last flash heal)

outside breath stack evangelism and use mindbender on the big adds, sometimes you wont have AA for one of the breaths if the timing doesn't work out its fine just holy fire a little add to refresh it and get it on the next one PI in between breaths since it doesn't get you any extra casts in on the breath really and you can make better use of it with low cost shields for rapture on the tank outside breaths

edit: Inner focus is why disc is better for this, you will put out more healing from a 100% crit super buffed Gheal than anything holy can do since they cant count on a crit.

In total Guardian spirit will probably be more but its a question of how well will your other healers use it, if you're like me and have 2 pallys just under you a monk only at about 100k and a priest doing 50k+ less and two druids doing next to nothing to the boss then why cripple yourself
    Last edited by Vicarious; 2012-12-19 at 05:25 PM.

A good monk, on heroic, can pull 400-500k hps. A good paladin will do around 250-300k healing and the rest struggle to beat 200k, generally.

A good monk, on heroic, can pull 400-500k hps. A good paladin will do around 250-300k healing and the rest struggle to beat 200k, generally.
    I don't think the OP was talking about heroic, considering there's an extra 1500% healing buff in heroic its not even comparable (also you can choose to stack the buff for one person for the purpose of ranking if you can get by doing that and not maximizing all the healers CDs skewing logs even further because its so significant when you abuse fight mechanics for a single person's log)

the only people doing 250k on normal are the highest mistweaver and shaman ranks
    Last edited by Vicarious; 2012-12-19 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    I don't think the OP was talking about heroic
    I am looking more for what rotation people are using that seems to be most effective to rank on this fight and pull the highest hps. It seems like the ideal thing is to have archangel ready to go with grace already stacked. Then in seems like most people agree start out pre casting greater heal but after that still seems like people are stating what to do next differently. If its possible to land 2 flash heals and a pennance then that would be my guess for the most optimal rotation which someone suggested. As apparently getting 3 Gh's off even while precasting one might be difficult.

Also is renew even worth casting during this phase?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sintea View Post
    I am looking more for what rotation people are using that seems to be most effective to rank on this fight and pull the highest hps. It seems like the ideal thing is to have archangel ready to go with grace already stacked. Then in seems like most people agree start out pre casting greater heal but after that still seems like people are stating what to do next differently. If its possible to land 2 flash heals and a pennance then that would be my guess for the most optimal rotation which someone suggested. As apparently getting 3 Gh's off even while precasting one might be difficult.

Also is renew even worth casting during this phase?
    Renew is worth casting if there is not time to get 2 Penance ticks after the last Flash Heal you can get off before the buff ends. Basically buffed Renew > 1 buffed Penance tick.

Deleted
    For normal, it doesn't matter a whole lot, though of course I understand the desire to improve and maximise your own performance, but honestly, going holy is the best way to do so. Your contribution to the raid is greater and as has already been stated, holy priest, though decent, is best handled as a buff bot for shaman/monk/paladin. Don't discount druids either though, well played they can put out 300k+ (talking heroic here) but also bring the awesomeness that is Nature's Vigil (adds can just disappear due to the vast heals sizes being put out-duplicated to damage on nearby targets)

If you're really set on staying Disc, plenty of the advice already given is solid. Including going holy! :P

I do min 110k hps on this fight as disc. Hps isn't what really matters tho ofc, my effective hps is probably 10-20k lower.

I just make sure I have renew ticking + penance + inner focus up for sun breath.

Holy is still amazing outside of GS. We are the strongest healers by a long shot for night phase. You can dish out some serious healing with Serenity FH FH GH spam and keeping Renew up (and of course, EoL).
    You will never beat a disc priest at raid healing as holy, unless of course your discs are mentally handicapped.

Quote Originally Posted by kouby View Post
    You will never beat a disc priest at raid healing as holy, unless of course your discs are mentally handicapped.
    Not when PoH hardly does anything because everyone is scattered into africa. Never is a strong word.

Not when PoH hardly does anything because everyone is scattered into africa. Never is a strong word.
    PoH is one of the most 'spread-forgiving' aoe heals out there.