10+ Year Old Account

Long time, no soundcard...bring me out of the dark ages!

So I haven't had a soundcard in my computer for...hell, 10 years or so. However long it's been since Vista released and fudged soundblaster's drivers. I've just been using the mobo's sound and have no complaints.

But I've been curious...what do you guys use for sound lately? I tried perusing Newegg's site, and I saw a million different things I wasn't expecting...basically everything BUT just a soundcard! Amps, USB plug-ins, all sorts of strange shit.

I don't consider myself to be an audiophile, but I do appreciate quality sound. I'd like to pull myself out of the dark ages and get a dedicated soundcard again (or whatever it is you young bucks are using now). I'm not looking to drop megabucks on it lol. It'll mostly be for headset use, though I do have a 5.1 speaker system, if either of those make a difference.

I'm mostly just curious what types of setups you guys use for audio, specifically for gaming and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I believe most people would probably be using on board sound. It's gotten to the point where unless you are an audiophile, on board is probably 'good enough'.

I personally use the optical out on my on board to a receiver for my 5.1. And, since i'm using a digital connection, the on board sound isn't what's processing the sound, it's my receiver. So a sound card is useless in that situation anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    I believe most people would probably be using on board sound. It's gotten to the point where unless you are an audiophile, on board is probably 'good enough'.

I personally use the optical out on my on board to a receiver for my 5.1. And, since i'm using a digital connection, the on board sound isn't what's processing the sound, it's my receiver. So a sound card is useless in that situation anyways.
    Good to know. Not sure I have an optical out (Asrock Z77 Extreme4?, can't see the back of the case atm lol) but I know my speakers are too old to worry about that sort of thing lol. Also good to hear that onboard has come along so well, back in the day it used to be terrible. I figured I was just getting used to hearing shitty audio lol.
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Asus Xonar DG (PCI) or DGX (for PCI Express). Analog 5.1 output and headphone amp. High quality and it works.

If you want to blow some significant cash on it, then go for Asus Xonar Essence ST/STX. Sadly there are no other options between DG and Essence ST if you want headphone amp.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Also good to hear that onboard has come along so well, back in the day it used to be terrible. I figured I was just getting used to hearing shitty audio lol.
    Onboard audio of the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is about on par with high end PCI cards from five years ago. What it can't do is drive big headphones, that'll still require dedicated card with headphone amp.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-12-20 at 10:12 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Asus Xonar DG (PCI) or DGX (for PCI Express). Analog 5.1 output and headphone amp. High quality and it works.

If you want to blow some significant cash on it, then go for Asus Xonar Essence ST/STX. Sadly there are no other options between DG and Essence ST if you want headphone amp.

Onboard audio of the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is about on par with high end PCI cards from five years ago. What it can't do is drive big headphones, that'll still require dedicated card with headphone amp.
    Ah, thanks for the head's up. I'll check the Xonar out.

So something like this?

ASUS Xonar DGX 5.1

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, I have a Asus Xonar D1. It's 7.1 though, so if you don't need that, just get any of the Xonar 5.1s.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    So something like this?

ASUS Xonar DGX 5.1
    Note that DG and DGX are same cards except one plugs into old PCI slot and other into newer PCI Express, but there is significant price difference between the two.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    For headset just use your onboard, no need to spend money there.

For 5.1 u might consider a soundcard, but if you have 5.1 onboard > i dont see any reason to.

Imo (i had a soundcard in last PC) it doesnt make any difference that i can hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    For headset just use your onboard, no need to spend money there.
    With big headphones you do need a card with headphone amp, onboard audio does not have the power to drive those.
    Trolling should be.

For many years I always used my onboard sound card. I recently got some decent headsets sennheiser 360 =p now from the reviews I read you need a dedicated sound card to get the true quality for those or any other high quailty headsets/headphones.. So I bought a Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX which has a headphone amp the install was painless the difference was night and day. So if your using a really good headsets/headphones def get a sound card. I heard many good things about the Asus Xonar as well. I just went with the new creative because it was recently released i believe and got them one sale..