Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zirgalan View Post
    Hmm,

Updating dots due to a trinket haste proc is wrong? why is that?

I do it on int trinket proc and on haste proc
    It's not worth refreshing very early on any proc; burning GCDs to get slightly larger dot ticks is a waste of GCDs - you're never going to gain much damage because our dots don't tick for enough.

With all my int procs lined up they net about 4k/tick on sw:p, so around 36k over a full duration. That's not even worth one mind flay.

If your buff is about to fall off it might be worth shuffling the refresh forwards a couple of ticks, but that's about it.

Wow. Just wow.

Ok, for those who are clearly confused, imagine the following extreme scenarios:

A) You have 0% tooltip haste (which is actually 100% haste). DOT ticks once every 3 seconds for 3 damage. DOT lasts for infinite amount of time (read never needs to be refreshed). Your dps with this DOT is 1 dps

B) You have 200% tooltip haste (read: 300%). DOT now ticks once every 1 second for 3 damage. DOT lasts for infinite amount of time. Your dps is now 3 dps

C) Now, your dot has a finite length, say 10 seconds. It ticks every 3 seconds for 3 damage per tick. Your dps is 1.

D) Now, your dot lasts for 20 seconds. It ticks every 3 seconds for 3 damage per tick. Your dps is still 1.

The increase in dps from gaining more ticks, like going from scenario C to scenario D is NOT the extra tick itself. It makes no difference to the DOT dps. None. The extra overall dps you see comes from refreshing the DOT slightly less often. This means you save a GCD, which would then be used on a Mind Flay tick most likely. And no, you don't save a GCD with every refresh of the DOT. You save a little bit over time, infact i think it's after around 6 refreshes that you save a GCD which is roughly 100 seconds but somebody else can give the exact numbers. That's an extra Mind Flay tick every minute and 40 seconds, not huge.

DOTs will ALWAYS benefit from haste (as seen in Scenario A and B). Even beyond breakpoints. DOTs benefit from haste because they tick more often. Not for longer, but more often, notice that important distinction between more often and longer! i.e. the DOT frequency increases with haste.

The only exception to the above is DOTs that cannot be refreshed at will and hence will not have a 100% uptime, ever. Examples of these DOTs are Devouring Plague and Combustion. With these DOTs the opposite is true, extra ticks increase the overall damage of the dot that you would not otherwise have and increasing the frequency of these DOTs actually does not increase their damage. it only makes them slightly more "bursty" dps. For Spriests, the real increase in dps at the 8085 breakpoint actually comes slightly before when DP gains an extra tick. HOWEVER these DOTs are often very short tick duration (frequency) i.e. 1 second at 0% haste, so there are many breakpoints for these DOTs that don't require huge jumps in haste rating and the likely hood is that increasing your haste by any half decent amount will give you more ticks.

As for refreshing DOTs, the mechanics are the same as Cata in that buffs to you are applied at the time the DOT lands on the target and will not update dynamically. Debuffs on the target will update the DOT dynamically on a per tick basis.
    Kudos to you kind sir. This the by far best explaination of how DoTs are affected by Haste I have ever seen. Should be a part of every SP F.A.Q / guide on the entire internet!
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Kudos to you kind sir. This the by far best explaination of how DoTs are affected by Haste I have ever seen. Should be a part of every SP F.A.Q / guide on the entire internet!
    Kudos goes to H2P and all the theory boffins there. I'm only summarizing their findings. It just irks me slightly that their hard work and explanations get distorted and confused. There are a lot of players who still believe that haste only improves DOTs dps at a breakpoint, then after that haste is useless, hence they call it a "cap", which of course is totally wrong.

Spread the knowledge!

What I meant was that I have never seen anybody explain it as good as that (including anything on H2P). The info itself has been known for 3 years now.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Yeah, that's totally correct. Not sure about the numbers which i guess would change from char to char but that sounds about right. Most of the increase in DPS comes from DP extra tick and not adding ticks to the other 2 of our DOTs, whichever you happen to be adding ticks to depending on 4 set or not.
    The math is done with a bis list. If you read my post on h2p that wooden linked earlier, it goes into detail of how you would calculate it and all the possible variables that would throw it off.

Also thank you for creditin us and spreading good information. Sadly bad and misinformation spreads like wildfire for some reason. Which is why any time I see a post calling the 8085 breakpoint or plateau a hard or soft cap is so very frustrating because it isn't one at all. It's possible that once we get a more accurate simC that we "might" be able to call it a soft cap for now, again we have no deffinite answer on it. But for now people, please don't call it any type of a cap. Thats just bad and misinformation.
    Last edited by Drye; 2012-12-20 at 07:26 PM.

Stream: twitch.tv/DryeLuLZ
    Twitter: @Dryeqt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drye View Post
    If you read my post on h2p that wooden linked earlier...
    It's Farmer Curry all over again ;____;

No, just no. Please don't respond if you are going to give false information. People who dont know better might actually believe you.
    I'm not saying you should gem totally full haste now, but I just made a test where I changed out x3 Lightning Wild Jade to x3 Perfect Purified Roguestone
    = -480 haste, +240 intellect.

(be aware of I reforged as well, still being at haste breakpoint)

I made a test on simulation craft, now with a weird specc but that's aside the point; with the new gems, simcraft said I'd do 50138 on a dummy, with the old gems it said I'd do 50675 dps. So that's a 537 dps increase with using haste instead of intellect.
    The specc and settings I used was MB/ToF/Cascade, singletarget, 300 sec low world lag, player skill Good, only haste/stamina buffs

by removing the haste I lost a lot of crit as well, so the intellect does not really break the offstats. With higher gear(as in pretty much full HC, haste trinket from elegon and such) you'll reach haste breakpoint/hitcap and yada yada w/o gemming haste and also get enough crit/mastery. But until then, In my opinion your offstats are worth more than intellect.
    Last edited by Balyn; 2012-12-21 at 12:43 AM.
    I'm a kittycat

Haste is dynamic for our dots. Just go try it yourself go cast VT/SWP on a dummy then cast PI you'll see the tick speed go from 2.40 to 2.0 with 8184 haste and if you use forte you will even see the intervals between the ticks update, so please stop this discussion cause the final verdict is; Haste is dynamic, there is no reason for you to recast dots for any haste proc, cause you're just wasting globals by doing so

10+ Year Old Account
    Chief you don't understand why that's not good backing for your statements and should be part of a larger discussion on theorycrafting which is not the subject of this thread. Start a post on HERE if you'd like to discuss further.

Quote Originally Posted by Frmercury View Post
    Chief you don't understand why that's not good backing for your statements and should be part of a larger discussion on theorycrafting which is not the subject of this thread. Start a post on HERE if you'd like to discuss further.
    I don't get why everyone get's so deffensive straight away when someone is saying offstats gives more than intellect with lower gear..
    I made a test, same spec, same setup but with intellect instead of haste and I lost dps by doing it. That's it.

But hey, what do I know. I've only played priest for about 5 months all together.

Edit; No offence now, but by looking at your logs, you're doing about the same dps as I was doing with 483 ilvl, gemmed with haste/hit-haste gems.
    Last edited by Balyn; 2012-12-21 at 09:29 AM.
    I'm a kittycat

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    I don't get why everyone get's so deffensive straight away when someone is saying offstats gives more than intellect with lower gear..
    I made a test, same spec, same setup but with intellect instead of haste and I lost dps by doing it. That's it.
    So you're saying that at low gear levels haste is worth more than half of what int is point for point? That's not exactly big news given the shadow sticky says exactly that.

Also you don't need full HC gear to hit 8085 haste without gemming for haste; I'm well short of that and can hit 8085 haste without any problems. If you pick gear with haste as a normal stat (rather than reforging to haste) you'll hit that much haste with normal raid gear.

Deleted
    I think tooltips are the only thing uptdated dynamically regarding haste, but they don't take spell change into consideration, being trying out on dummies. So tooltips are quite misleading, they update dynamically for haste(not spell thought, spell is always the same on tooltip). Thought the dot in itself will still tick depending on your haste at the landing of the spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Falsified View Post
    I think tooltips are the only thing uptdated dynamically regarding haste, but they don't take spell change into consideration, being trying out on dummies. So tooltips are quite misleading, they update dynamically for haste(not spell thought, spell is always the same on tooltip). Thought the dot in itself will still tick depending on your haste at the landing of the spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macco View Post
    and if you use forte you will even see the intervals between the ticks update
    Okay? Just let it go our dots are not warlock dots

Deleted
    God all dots work the same way. Just check out with recount, try putting your dots, you will see 10 ticks, try putting your dots with PI(assuming it makes you gain one tic) you will see 11 ticks, now put your dots, then use pi, you will see 10 tics. Of course this was done with SWP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferin View Post
    Also you don't need full HC gear to hit 8085 haste without gemming for haste; I'm well short of that and can hit 8085 haste without any problems. If you pick gear with haste as a normal stat (rather than reforging to haste) you'll hit that much haste with normal raid gear.
    My point was that It's more worth going for int-haste, int-spirit gems and such when you got enough gear to reach hitcap, haste breakpoint and still have enough to balance out Crit and mastery. Without a haste trinket, like the one from Elegon you're gonna have trouble reaching 8085 haste.

Myself, without the pure haste gems I'll loose 2240 haste + the hit-haste gems, 640 haste. Let's say I'd put in int-spirt in blue sockets, int-haste in red/yellow and 160int in prismatics, I'd gain 1120 intellect. If now I'm correct that one intellect gives me 1.155 spell power, that's 1293.6 spell power, which I REALLY doubt will make up for crit/mastery loss.

< and my case; Reforging to haste because not being able to reach haste breakpoint 8085.
    But yeah, now if you get the perfect loot table and every haste/spirit - haste/crit/ piece goes to you, Fine. I agree. You can reach haste breakpoint at 8085 without gemming haste. But now if you're unlucky with loots as I am, I have to do the best out of what I have, which is what I've done, and that's in this case going for haste/ hit-haste gems instead of intellect.

(Also, my point is if you're going with haste/hit-haste gems you'll be more open to reforge to crit/mastery)
    Last edited by Balyn; 2012-12-21 at 05:01 PM.
    I'm a kittycat

I don't get why everyone get's so deffensive straight away when someone is saying offstats gives more than intellect with lower gear...
    Because you are 100% incorrect. Int actually has its highest value at low ilvls and secondary stats are at their weakest at low ilvls. Which is why I asked, if you don't know what you are talking about and try to spread misinformation, to just not post because people will think you are correct. When in fact you are 100% wrong.

Stream: twitch.tv/DryeLuLZ
    Twitter: @Dryeqt

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Macco View Post
    Okay? Just let it go our dots are not warlock dots
    Perhaps Forte is wrong?

Because you are 100% incorrect. Int actually has its highest value at low ilvls and secondary stats are at their weakest at low ilvls. Which is why I asked, if you don't know what you are talking about and try to spread misinformation, to just not post because people will think you are correct. When in fact you are 100% wrong.
    How low gear are you actually talking about? Because with MY gear I loose more dps than I'd gain by changing out haste to intellect, due the fact I'll loose A LOT of crit/mastery as well to reach 8085 haste.
    But now if you don't want to reach 8085 haste because of going with intellect instead, sure. That may be an dps increase. Still, I don't see why you wouldn't want to go for it.

and I've not said in ANY way this is correct of what I'm saying. I said "In my opinion this is the way to go", and it WORKS for me.
    Last edited by Balyn; 2012-12-21 at 05:14 PM.
    I'm a kittycat

Deleted

Let's say I'd put in int-spirt in blue sockets, int-haste in red/yellow
    If you believe that haste is a better stat to gem for, why not go for full haste in yellow slots? Not saying it's correct or not, just curious why people never use full int or full haste if the gem bonus allows. You still get double secondary stats.

If now I'm correct that one intellect gives me 1.155 spell power, that's 1293.6 spell power, which I REALLY doubt will make up for crit/mastery loss.
    Yeah, it does. Because intellect gives you a bit of crit too and spell power is quite useful since it's the main contributor to your spell damage.

and my case; Reforging to haste because not being able to reach haste breakpoint 8085.
    How much do you believe the breakpoint is worth? How much have you sacrificed to reach it?

I don't ask these questions because I think you are wrong, I ask them because I suspect you haven't considered these questions yourself. Unless you have, then i apologize.
    Last edited by mmocc2eb32b347; 2012-12-21 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    If you believe that haste is a better stat to gem for, why not go for full haste in yellow slots? Not saying it's correct or not, just curious why people never use full int or full haste if the gem bonus allows. You still get double secondary stats.
    I AM going for pure haste in yellow sockets. This was pure an example as the quote you made.

Yeah, it does. Because intellect gives you a bit of crit too and spell power is quite useful since it's the main contributor to your spell damage.
    A: Yes, it does give me crit but just as an example now; Let's say you gain 1000 spell power and also looses 1000 crit. If now spell power gives me more dps It can't be by much.

How much do you believe the breakpoint is worth? How much have you sacrificed to reach it?

I don't ask these questions because I think you are wrong, I ask them because I suspect you haven't considered these questions yourself. Unless you have, then i apologize.
    A: Myself, I've mostly sacrified mastery, but instead choosed to balance out mastery and crit but still being at haste break point, which is working just fine for me.

**READ**
    Still read though, I have never and will never say I'm right in what I'm saying. I only shared what I think works the best for me and MY playstyle. So before anyone else say "OMFG YOU'RE SO FUCKING WRONG D0000D WTF!!!!"; This is a forum, I shared what I think works, wrong or correct it works for me. I haven't and will never say it works for anyone else. But it gives people more room to experiment.
    Last edited by Balyn; 2012-12-21 at 05:38 PM.
    I'm a kittycat