Poll: Your Favorite fantasy world

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Detailed history and lore, you say?

Oh, just you wait
    Hehe, I've only heard good things about those books, and I don't doubt that it has a very rich history. But on the scale of Tolkien? The man even wrote what happened when plants and animals passed away! But from what I've heard, while Tolkien's books is more about adventure and war, Martin's series of books is more about the politics behind it all, so storywise I probably should keep from trying to compare them. ^^ I really should begin reading those books though, since it's christmas and I'll have lots of free time! :3
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Hehe, I've only heard good things about those books, and I don't doubt that it has a very rich history. But on the scale of Tolkien? The man even wrote what happened when plants and animals passed away! But from what I've heard, while Tolkien's books is more about adventure and war, Martin's series of books is more about the politics behind it all, so storywise I probably should keep from trying to compare them. ^^ I really should begin reading those books though, since it's christmas and I'll have lots of free time! :3
    Tolkien has nothing lore-wise on Jordan, Martin, or the master, Erikson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    seconded. was quite sad when he passed before finishing it. no, his kid or whatever doesn't count.
    Initially I was sad and somewhat pissed when he passed away before finishing (because my brother always joked that he would die before finishing) because I thought we would never see the ending. But when Brandon Sanderson took up the series, it has been a major boon, he is a far better writer than Robert Jordan, and let's face facts, after book 6 of the WOT, the series just goes down hill and fast, by book 11 it's a more boring read than Jane Eyre. I haven't read it in many years, but If I recall correctly the in book time that passes in book 11 is less than 1 full day. Less than a day of time passes through the space of a what 800 page novel? WTF.

As for best world to me, I really couldn't say, nothing really jumps out to me as the clear winner, but I am definitely most intrigued currently with Brandon Sanderson's world Roshar from the stormlight archives. Only one book is written, but I am already hooked and the world is very unique and intriguing.

a comment on GRRM, what the hell is he doing lately? books 1-3 great, gritty, fresh. Don't read this spoiler unless you have finished the series. ASOIAF SPOILER ALERT. Book 4 and 5, boring snorefest with mass introduction of new characters while disposing of most of the original characters, really poor writing decision in my view, it's one thing to kill off a few main characters for realism effect, shock value etc. But he has honestly gotten out of hand and it has gone from a nice unique spin on classical fantasy writing to just poor writing. It's literally like not even reading the same series anymore, why bother building up every character if you are just going to kill off literally all of them and introduce new characters which you are now struggling to help the reader develop a relationship with, which of course is just not happening. I basically don't care about any characters left alive in the series except Aria, whom he barely ever writes about. Tyrion has gone from the intelligent, witty, sly imp to a whiny 1 sentence bitch "where do whores go?" "where do whores go?" "where do whores go?" Shut the Fuck up, nobody cares where whores go. So basically the whole series has gone from gritty awesomeness to boring trash in the space of two books.
    Last edited by Beat5beat; 2012-12-21 at 11:53 AM.

*ahem*

Sanderson's world in Way of Kings is 'Roshar' and is also
    The 17th shard in the universe that contains every work Sanderson has done so far (except the Jordan stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    *ahem*

Sanderson's world in Way of Kings is 'Roshar' and is also
    The 17th shard in the universe that contains every work Sanderson has done so far (except the Jordan stuff)
    Yes, the Cosmere. However, I singled out Roshar because I feel it is his best world so far. Although the mistborn trilogy is pretty good and also very unique, it's not at the level of fantasy that Way of Kings is (In my opinion), I think that Sanderson is still heavily progressing as a writer, which excites me, because he is already quite good. The other bonus with Sanderson is he is bloody fast at writing, a clearly dedicated hard worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    Yes, the Cosmere. However, I singled out Roshar because I feel it is his best world so far. Although the mistborn trilogy is pretty good and also very unique, it's not at the level of fantasy that Way of Kings is (In my opinion), I think that Sanderson is still heavily progressing as a writer, which excites me, because he is already quite good. The other bonus with Sanderson is he is bloody fast at writing, a clearly dedicated hard worker.
    I agree. I was just saying it was Roshar and not Roshan

Only guy that writes epic fantasy as fast as Sanderson was Erikson, but his new contract lets him take more time between books. 1000 page books annually? Goddamn.

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Hehe, I've only heard good things about those books, and I don't doubt that it has a very rich history. But on the scale of Tolkien?
    I'm not saying LoTR doesn't have a rich history... but honestly, ASoIaF is amazing on this regard. But it's also rather different on a fundamental level though, less magicky. It comes across quite well as history (even though its fantastical) moreso than Tolkien, which reads very much like the High Fantasy genre he created.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying LoTR doesn't have a rich history... but honestly, ASoIaF is amazing on this regard. But it's also rather different on a fundamental level though, less magicky. It comes across quite well as history (even though its fantastical) moreso than Tolkien, which reads very much like the High Fantasy genre he created.
    i personally love the forgotten realms/shannara lore world. really wish there would have been an other option here. i never really cared for tolkien's works. mostly because our teachers forced us to read it. which made it feel more like an assignment than actually reading a book for fun.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2012-12-21 at 11:49 AM.

I agree. I was just saying it was Roshar and not Roshan

Only guy that writes epic fantasy as fast as Sanderson was Erikson, but his new contract lets him take more time between books. 1000 page books annually? Goddamn.
    Ah, hehe, I did not even realize I had typed Roshan instead of Roshar, that's why your correction went right over my head. Must have dota on the brain. Will fix now.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i personally love the forgotten realms/shannara lore world. really wish there would have been an other option here. i never really cared for tolkien's works. mostly because our teachers forced us to read it. which made it feel more like an assignment than actually reading a book for fun.
    Oh lucky you, I wish I had gotten to read that for English
    Instead we got that incredibly boring but pretty much equally long Emma....

Arda is by far my favorite.

I was thinking, where the hell is Tyria?!

My vote goes to Arda (Middle Earth), then Tyria!

I haven't read it in many years, but If I recall correctly the in book time that passes in book 11 is less than 1 full day.
    Whilst that is completely true, by that point in the series so much happens in that one day across so many characters that theres still plenty of action imo.

I felt the same way first time I read it, especially as at the end of the previous book he has supposedly cleansed the Male half of the power, you're kinda expecting big things but the book basically says "Rand is tired and recovering, this is what the other two have been up to".

When it comes to it though, by that stage in the books he's created something so epic that to rush things would cheapen it (again, imo)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

by book 11 it's a more boring read than Jane Eyre
    Hey hey, Jane Eyre is a great book!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh lucky you, I wish I had gotten to read that for English
    Instead we got that incredibly boring but pretty much equally long Emma....
    having it broke up into daily short sessions made it boring. plus having to write a short essay on it every day made it incredibly boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Starship Troopers (despite my adoration for the movie) is still a much better book than movie.
    But the reason the movie was so good was that it was so bad.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds very interesting indeed, moreso than how my friends explained it.

There's much more to Arda than LotR, but I guess you wrote LotR since that's the main narrative story?
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Kind of like some of the old roleplaying games, Mutant(mutant chronicles/warzone) and Drakar och Demoner(dragons and demons).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakar_och_Demoner
    The first campaign setting of Drakar och Demoner was called Ereb Altor (Ereb being the name of the continent where most - if not all - official adventures take place, Altor being the name of the planet on which Ereb is located). It was created bit by bit by different writers through adventures and source books creating a somewhat haphazard world; medieval feudal states exist side-by-side with comparably advanced Renaissance-styled nations.
    There is tons of lore for this game, used to be a magazine as well called Sinkadus if I remember correctly, I got a ton of it stored away. Really well written stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warzone_%28game%29
    Warzone is a tabletop miniature wargame based on the Mutant Chronicles universe and role-playing game. It features squad-based combat at a skirmish level, although vehicles and large models were introduced in later supplements to the main rule book.

Warzone takes place in a fictional cyberpunk future in which a space faring humanity has explored beyond Pluto and has uncovered artifacts which unleashed an evil force known as the Dark Soul. This is a force which corrupts both man and machine, and has sent its own minions, consisting of legions of undead and aliens in an attempt to conquer humanity. In light of the corruption, human technological and social progress has largely halted. Most people are citizens of one of the major megacorporations, who have colonized the inner planets of the solar system, and who fight against each other when not fighting the evil forces of the Dark Soul. The Earth has become known as Dark Eden following global apocalypse, and is home only to tribal survivors. This background is intricately tied to that of the Mutant Chronicles role-playing game.

Warzone is often compared and contrasted to Warhammer 40,000, which targets the same market audience, and has similar gameplay, although Warzone never reached Warhammer 40k's volume of market penetration[citation needed]. Warzone aims for a more realistic feel, being set more closely in the future, with recognizable weaponry, megacorporations that represent modern-day nations, and a focus upon the power of units of soldiers, while Warhammer 40k has aimed for more of a fantasy feel, with a greater variety of weapons and aliens and a focus upon the power of individual heroes.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-12-21 at 02:01 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here. Was this thread directed at fantasy novel readers or something? I legitimately do not recognize those worlds.
    Other than Nirn and Azeroth, those are novel-based worlds, yes. But I think the OP just didn't think to include more.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you've never played any Lord of the Rings game, read the books, or watched the movies you've heard of Arda. If under the name of the part of Arda where most things happen, Middle Earth.