Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PvP Damage - What the hell.

So yea, i'm trying Rift again with a couple of friends. We did some warzones yesterday at lvl 18. We are a champion warrior, assassin rogue and a cleric healer. We all got killed by ranged damage in a couple of GCD again and again. We got crit for about 400 ranged damage over and over, that's close to 1/3 of our damage. It was so incredible frustrating. As soon as we engaged we died in a couple of GCD.

I then switched to my rogue and we both skilled saboteur. 5x Blast charge -> Detonate did about did about 50% HP in damage. It was so dumb. We topped damage meters easily with 2x-3x the damage of the third one.

Does the damage in PvP stay this high? If yes, does Trion see this as a problem? If not, when does it get better? It's such a bad three shot part atm, I hate it.

Cheers!

Sounds like the warrior should switch to tempest, too.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Low level PVP is typically imbalanced in mmo's , but I can confirm its not like this at higher levels, fights can be very long drawn and will often see it where first blood isn't till a good 5mins into a match due to equal healer configs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yowser View Post
    Low level PVP is typically imbalanced in mmo's , but I can confirm its not like this at higher levels, fights can be very long drawn and quite often see it where first blood is'nt till a good 5mins into a match.
    Unless you run inquisitor cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Teabaker View Post

Does the damage in PvP stay this high? If yes, does Trion see this as a problem? If not, when does it get better? It's such a bad three shot part atm, I hate it.

Cheers!
    It does not. Not sure at what level it gets better since I haven't done 1-50 in ages, but I would assume it happens over time.
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

Deleted
    At level 50+ you get Bolstered PVP stats added if you don't have any PVP gear equipped, inside both warfronts and conquest, which gives you like a standard 60% damage reduction, which pretty much balances things out =)

So only at lvl 50+ the PvP in the game gets somesort of fun? Wow. I don't except balance but this three shot is completely dumb. I don't want to grind to max level, I just want to enjoy slowly a MMO and only play a couple of hours a week -_- Does it get better at lvl 30+? Or really only at 50+? I enjoy PvE but I also want to play some PvP
    Last edited by Teabaker; 2012-12-23 at 04:01 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is not really a PvP centered game, thus opposite factions that can be in guilds and group together. I think a lot of people here are burned out on that type of game and the developers respond to that. If you are looking for competitive, balanced PvP, there aren't a lot of MMOs you can really play at the moment. WoW is the most unbalanced it has every been and GW2 is kinda meh.

MMOs are impossible to balance for pvp.

It doesn't take very long to reach 50 and PvP queues are usually quite long before then due to the fact that most people are busy on their mains going from 50-60 or gearing up at 60 now.

I'm not talking about balance (Well yea, melee seems to be kinda bad compared with ranged), i'm more talking about the TTK. It seems way to low, frustrating low. With ranged character (saboteur rogue and mage) i'm bursting people in a couple of seconds :S I already quit WoW because of the low TTK and I have absolutely no interest in playing another MMO with this kind of damage.

As other people have stated, you can't expect gamebreaking amounts of balance in the lower levels brackets due to people only spending a fraction of their gaming time in them. And this isn't just for Rift, I can recall being 2 shot by hunters / warriors in the 20-24 brackets in WoW. These brackets are also filled with people ranging from newbies to pros. I don't think your experience in the lower level pvp brackets should be generalised to the game as a whole at level cap. Just my 2cents.

Sure, if you tell me that people wont be critted constantly for 40% of their HP from range at higher levels i'm fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    tell your warrior to try full voidknight tank and enjoy being slapped for no damage/absorbing like 3 guys for 1 minute straight
    things are not very well balanced but damage in pvp is JUST fine . Healing on the other hand isn't
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arian21 View Post
    tell your warrior to try full voidknight tank and enjoy being slapped for no damage/absorbing like 3 guys for 1 minute straight
    things are not very well balanced but damage in pvp is JUST fine . Healing on the other hand isn't

Especially when you have gladiator healing skills =)

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    This is not really a PvP centered game, thus opposite factions that can be in guilds and group together. I think a lot of people here are burned out on that type of game and the developers respond to that. If you are looking for competitive, balanced PvP, there aren't a lot of MMOs you can really play at the moment. WoW is the most unbalanced it has every been and GW2 is kinda meh.
    Yet you have Rift pvp'rs bitching left and right about Rift not having a Arena system. MMO pvp is the single worst thing ever introduced to the genre. It has created an endless headache for every single dev that has ever tried to cater to that playerbase.

Pvp damage is fucked at lowbie levels because trials players play for free and never pass 20, so they can gear out twinks. Then take lvl 60's probably mentoring down to lbl 15 or 19 to go into war fronts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Yet you have Rift pvp'rs bitching left and right about Rift not having a Arena system. MMO pvp is the single worst thing ever introduced to the genre. It has created an endless headache for every single dev that has ever tried to cater to that playerbase.
    Agree. I don't really like it. It had its time in the sun with me in TBC. I haven't really wanted to do it since. I definitely don't want to do it in this game, but if there are achievements to be had I will begrudgingly find myself there eventually.

I was actually pretty infuriated because I was in a zone where a random Defiant NPC was standing at a Guardian quest hub and we had a planar invasion. I was defending that wardstone and of course somehow hit the NPC I couldn't even see. Then I was exploded in seconds. The terrible part is that it naturally flagged me for PvP. Of course some higher level jackass just happened to be around in that 5 minutes and tried to gank me. Good thing I can heal myself and let NPCs kill him.

Then he wanted to cry like a baby when I told him to quit being an asshole. Just the typically behavior and attitudes that come along with PvP being present in a game I don't want to deal with. I want to quest in peace and have no PvP mechanics even present on a PvE server.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    MMOs are impossible to balance for pvp.
    This.
    After years of wishing for balance I have come to the conclusion that picking the right spec is a "skill".
    Gear should be removed from pvp and developers should work on making classes interesting and fun to play rather then making things "balanced".

I will elaborate on this for those who are interested.

Trion has the best possible class system for this as building your character in this game does take some level of "skill" in the form of knowledge. It could be argued that if you aren't finding a viable build within the 9 talent trees and their combinations that that is a personal problem. However, I acknowledge that there are cases where one particular spec can be out of control and that should be addressed should that happen.
    Rather then micro managing the slight differences between classes, which usually results in homogenization, developers should always be looking to develop new ways for people to play. Tanks too strong? Make some anti tank souls. Healers too strong? Make some anti healing souls. Melee too strong? Make some high dodge/parry souls. W/e. Fix the meta by building the game outward. The end result would be more player choice and control over their characters and play styles. Choice = fun.

Also, gear should never determine a fight between players. So it shouldn't effect stats in pvp.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Typical PvE behavior is crying about getting no loot because someone else had more points or got a bigger usage out of it... I can post biased shit too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teabaker View Post
    Typical PvE behavior is crying about getting no loot because someone else had more points or got a bigger usage out of it... I can post biased shit too.
    You can also post nonsense, which you just demonstrated quite handily. Care to elaborate what you are responding to? For me your statement is a total disconnect with the overall thread. I somewhat value your opinion, though it seems to presented as rudely as possible.

Maybe give us your thoughts in a productive way so we can respond accordingly?