Thread: Troll Models

Troll Models

5.2 brings new models for Farraki, Amani and Drakkari trolls. Since from among those three the Farraki currently share the same model as the Gurubashi (to which at least racially the Darkspear belong), it seems likely that this model (sans color palette) might be a sneak peak at the new troll player model.

I have to say that I like them very much. Both the desert troll and the forest troll look wonderful. The ice troll is okay, but not in the same category of quality as the other two, I think.

Yep, those models look great.

Can't wait until blizz finally reveal some of the new models.

As I said in the other thread, these models have custom armors and skins, but still share the skeleton with the current troll model (even the new Amani trolls). So this works as an artistic sneak peak, just like the new Vol'jin model.

You can clearly see what an updated troll looks like, its skin colours, tusks, and pointy ears. And the playable models won't look much different, because the skeleton can't be that different either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I think it all depends if they update female model as well. If they do i don't see why 5.2 wouldn't bring updated troll models for players.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I think it all depends if they update female model as well. If they do i don't see why 5.2 wouldn't bring updated troll models for players.
    Because they don't even have new skeletons? Those guys look cooler when they don't move, because as soon as they lift an arm, the textures stretch and the armor clips through the rest of the model :P

Also, they can't wear player armors.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2012-12-22 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Because they don't even have new skeletons? Those guys look cooler when they don't move, because as soon as they lift an arm, the textures stretch and the armor clips through the rest of the model :P

Also, they can't wear player armors.
    How do you know that? As their stated intention is to upgrade the old models without making them look completely alien to the characters players have grown accustomed to, maybe the new skeletons have the exact same shape as the old ones - just with ten times the amount of bones? Also, if they in fact are just new skins over the old skeleton, why would they not be able to wear player armor?

To be clear, I do not at all believe that they are done with the player models, as Arrashi hopes. Nor do I believe these new troll skins represent anything beyond a sneak peak at the finished product. But the things you state matter-of-factly do not seem as obvious to me as to you.

Based on what we know, the new player models are going to be as advanced as the Pandaren, which is part of why the project is taking so long. We also know they are making it optional for people who wish to keep the old model, and we know they are going to be completely recognizable though updated when you put them next to your original model, which means same hair styles and face options will be updated. Since this will be a choice, and they need to be recognizable, more than likely the skeleton will look exactly the same in basic shape so they can use the same armor models, which means pose and posture will be the same, but they will have much more articulation for movement and posing and their faces will be a lot more expressive and they will look more stylized.

They may tweak some stuff like orc posture, it's possible. But they're going to be more advanced than any of these models you see for 5.2.
    And of course they're doing both males and females for all the original races.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW