10+ Year Old Account
    Овсянки - beautiful, relatively quiet film, one I've been thinking of watching for a while now and finally got around to seeing it. A sad poem... no, song... that is able to spin beauty and wonder out of the ordinary every day routine. That said, it is a beautiful poem that loses its value after the first read, and even though I enjoyed it I don't feel particularly compelled to see it again. 8/10

Sometimes Life Is Hard – Right Providence? - strange, strange western.. but one with plenty of laughs where the inherent stupidity of the film did nothing more than bring out how utterly ridiculous and hilarious its premise was. 7/10, highest I've given a Western next to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Cloverfield - 7/10. God I love this film. I don't know why.... there are so many things wrong with it that I'd rather not even begin to start. I guess it is sort of a guilty pleasure in film for me, though, as I can never keep myself from watching it for too long.

Pan's Labyrinth - 10/10. What can I say... no matter how many times I watch it, it stays right up there at the top as the second of the six films I've given a 10/10. An absolutely perfect film within its scope, and one that I will never get tired of. The day her death does not move me, the eyeless man does not scare me, and the simple, haunting lullaby does not fill me with wonder, will be a truly sad day for me.

The Amazing Spiderman - 6/10. Decent film, better than its counterparts by a long shot, and I'm interested in seeing where it is going. Though its premise is a bit annoying looking at it from a scientific perspective.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - 2/10. Sighh... if they had taken the premise and made a comedy, it would have been so good. As it was, the core concept was too hilarious to get into the attempted dark tone. Though, seeing it after the absolute masterpiece that was Lincoln may have been a bad idea.

Expendables 2 - your average gun ho action flick. Nothing really that interesting... but I have a general distaste for how people glorify Chuck Norris so that put it back some for me. 5/10, didn't care for it, didn't care against it.

Prometheus - 2/10. It was a headache until she left a monster alone in the surgery room (that apparently doesn't use anesthetic) without telling anyone "hey, there's a monster in there and it was inside me!" Then it became a migraine. Hopefully they learn how to fix a freaking plothole in its sequel.

The Avengers - 10/10 still. What can I say? It is the perfect superhero movie.

The Raven - 6/10. Could have been great, but it was the kind of premise that should have been put into a series. It was rushed by a few hours at the minimum to establish the buildup that it truly needed to top it all off. That said, I do love the works of Edger Allen Po so...

Twilight 3 - 1/10. I was forced into it. And I made it very clear to those who did the forcing just how displeased I was. If you don't understand the low rating, than you probably don't know me in the slightest bit.

Battleship - 7/10. Fun alien movie, got a few laughs and a few grimaces, but not overly compelling. I'm happy I watched it, but also happy I didn't pay to see it in theaters.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-12-17 at 10:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    The Hobbit.

I've thought about this overnight, and mused on where I wanted to put it... and decided I would regret it if I did not give this movie my 6th 10/10 ever.

Side note, I'm not blocking things due to spoilers. One of the absolute biggest strengths of the film is that it stuck in so well with the actual story, so if you haven't read a book that's been out for 65 or so years, that's on you. Also, I'm going to be attacking Rotten Tomatoes.

First of all, it sticks extremely well not only with the book, but what the book hints at but Tolkein could never put in because his editors wanted more about Hobbits. Originally Tolkein wanted to put in more... more on the White Council, the fight with the necromancer, addressing a number of points intended to make it a more serious tone. Looking back, I find it disgusting that editors rejected such attempts by the author due to the desire to line their own pockets, and I'm absolutely disgusted that reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes not only fall in line with the suppression of Tolkein's writing and intent, but seem to not even have read the book themselves. The film took much of the scenery expressed in the Hobbit, as well as the words and events and chronological order..... the only severe fault that I could find was the omission of Beorn, and I actually gave a happy squee in the middle of the theater when the very first line of the book was brought in.

For visual effects, scenery, casting, quality of the shots... its Peter Jackson. And by the looks of it, he put even more time and attention into this than he did Lord of the Rings, probably because the LOTR must naturally move quicker because of the pacing of the book. Peter Jackson had the time to sit down and establish the scenery, and he did. It was, simply put, legendary.

And finally, the tone, the one compared to the book. I have seen a number of people criticizing it for a lack of jolliness, for "Sucking the energy away." It is true that The Hobbit is the brightest of Tolkein's books, especially when compared to the epitome of his career. One looking back at a shallow glance would see that the tone of this movie does not sit well with the books. Of course, these people would also have to selectively ignore things like, Tolkein was overall displeased with this tone of the book, and after writing Lord of the Rings and furthering the progress of his other writings found that when he wrote The Hobbit, the manner in which he wrote did not properly convey the dire state of the dwarves' plight or the importance of the quest. Looking back and reading not only The Hobbit, but supplementary notes on it and Tolkein's reflections on his books, I have no doubt that he would be pleased with it. It is a film filled with comedy and adventure, all overlaying a darker note, a serious note. There is a sense of ominous gloom beneath the scenes, one that can be felt strongly between the slapstick humor and the fights. This tone is vital; it is a characterizing feature of Tolkein's works after he began taking his writing career more seriously. It is what made me give this film a 10 at the end of the day, because when I went through this (and I intend to do a second trip so I may further examine its features) I felt like this is what Tolkein wanted.

I will say something about other movie critics, coming from this film. After looking at the comments on that site, I have lost all respect for them, and I doubt I will ever use that site for reference again.
    Wasn't Beorn in it just before Mirkwood ? didn't he live on the frontier of the forest ?

He's in the second film, as his transformation will be shown on camera and cost mucho dineros.

Deleted
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 8/10. Nice feel-good movie.

Pan's Labyrinth - 10/10. What can I say... no matter how many times I watch it, it stays right up there at the top as the second of the six films I've given a 10/10. An absolutely perfect film within its scope, and one that I will never get tired of. The day her death does not move me, the eyeless man does not scare me, and the simple, haunting lullaby does not fill me with wonder, will be a truly sad day for me.
    God, that movie is wonderful. I completely agree, easily a 10/10 movie. One time, I was watching it again on TV, and my father walked into the room and asked, almost condescendingly: "You're watching a movie...in subtitles?", as if a movie can only be good in English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Wasn't Beorn in it just before Mirkwood ? didn't he live on the frontier of the forest ?

He's in the second film, as his transformation will be shown on camera and cost mucho dineros.
    Yes, I tend to not look at things like actors so I never saw him, and the route they took to reach him changed. So my statement was made in error.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    You should watch them again. They're my favorite movies of all time. If you don't like them, you're likely not going to like The Hobbit, although some says it's better than LOTR, some says it's worse.
    I don't believe it comes close to the Lord of the Rings, yet I still really enjoyed it because I did not compare it to the Lord of the Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post

You are correct, meeting Beorn is pretty much the next thing that happens in the book.

Anyways, just saw the Hobbit, will definitely give that a 10/10, no questions about it...and I saw neither Imax nor 3D and the effects and all were still top notch. It's been a long time since I was wow'ed by a movie...9 years in fact, and my expectations were very high and it met them. Great scenery, effects, acting, everything. It's a little more lighthearted than LoTR (but such is the nature of the book counterpart as well) but if you loved the LoTR movies, you're going to like this one too..if you didn't, then probably not. Above all that, the movie does a better job of portraying the storyline and the characters and ties how it's relevant to the ring and Frodo's journey better than the book does, IMO. There are things mentioned in the movie that simply aren't in the book such as the background of the dwarves that make you care about them and their journey...and Blibo's part in it, quite well.

Hunger Games 8/10 actually quite an amusing movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Hobbit: 10/10. My movie of the year.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Terminator 1 - 6.5/10
    Terminator 2 - 7.5/10
    Land of the Dead - 6/10
    The Grudge - 4.5/10
    The Grudge 2 - 6/10
    Star Trek - 8.5/10

Seven Psychopaths 10/10

Excellent cast, excellent script. Perfect subtle comedy throughout. Couldn't find a fault with it.

People talking about Christopher Walkens role but Sam Rockwell played his part really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Terminator 1 - 6.5/10
    Terminator 2 - 7.5/10
    Land of the Dead - 6/10
    The Grudge - 4.5/10
    The Grudge 2 - 6/10
    Star Trek - 8.5/10
    You gave T1 and T2 that low of a score? Are you feeling okay? Good Lord man those two movies are amazing!

Last movie I saw was The Hobbit. 10/10. Considering it was the first movie of the trilogy, I call it a warm up movie as it doesn't really start to heat up until movie 2 and 3. But it was still fantastic. I love fantasy style movies and it delivered.

10+ Year Old Account

The Amazing Spiderman - 6/10. Decent film, better than its counterparts by a long shot, and I'm interested in seeing where it is going. Though its premise is a bit annoying looking at it from a scientific perspective.

Prometheus - 2/10. It was a headache until she left a monster alone in the surgery room (that apparently doesn't use anesthetic) without telling anyone "hey, there's a monster in there and it was inside me!" Then it became a migraine. Hopefully they learn how to fix a freaking plothole in its sequel.

The Avengers - 10/10 still. What can I say? It is the perfect superhero movie.
    I think I trust your taste in movies more and more every time you give a review. These scores indicate to me that you can differentiate between good, bad, and average movies. Your tastes are discerning and you don't think every hyped and popular movie is "the best thing ever". I trust lower/average scores more than I trust higher scores to be honest.

I agree that The Amazing Spiderman was average but adequately entertaining, Prometheus was a mess that only succeeded at riding on the coattails of something with far more imagination, and that Avengers was definitely one of the best superhero movies ever made. It wasn't my favorite and I wouldn't give it a 10, but it was definitely a great movie.

Dredd 9/10 few small holes in it.

Was done really well not over the top worked great.

Deleted
    The Expendables 2, easily a 10/10

Deleted
    Land of the Lost.

I must say... I was expecting the movie to be crappy, which it was, but I think the funny parts make it up lol.

Overall, the story line is rather horrid but really, the video is hilarious as hell and I think it's worth it, just for that.

If it wasn't funny I would give a 2 out of 10, though I am going with a 4.5 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    God, that movie is wonderful. I completely agree, easily a 10/10 movie. One time, I was watching it again on TV, and my father walked into the room and asked, almost condescendingly: "You're watching a movie...in subtitles?", as if a movie can only be good in English.
    Whenever I met people who won't watch a film because it is subtitled or even because it is in Black and White I can only facepalm.

The Dark Knight Rises: 6/10

Bitter, bitter disappointment after Dark Knight.

I went out and saw....Jack Reacher today. Was okay 5.5/10.

It was good but I expected it to be more corny action with bad jokes. And I was right, but there was more cop/sleuth/law involved than I thought there would be and I was really shocked at that. I'm not sure I liked that, maybe it was good, but I wasn't expecting it. Anyway, it was also rather long, 2.5 hours. That's not bad but I felt it could have been concised some more because I didn't feel like that much actually happened.

Last movie I saw was on TV where they had Stardust (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/) on, never seen it and I thought it was going to be the usual adventure/fairytale shit plot and so on like other movies of that theme but I was pleasently suprised!

The music first of all is amazing, it brings light to scenes where it's needed and darkness to others. Brilliant 10/10
    Acting is solid but in some cases it gets a bit "acting school" like in the reactions (or lack of) in the actors. Robert DeNiro is flawless as always (in every bit we get to see him). 8/10
    Plot has alot of twists and turns that is so unusual for this genre of movies, I always try to figure out what direction a movie is going and it's when the movie (or series) suprise me I enjoy it the most! 10/10 (honestly very good)
    Special effects are good enough to buy as far as "magic" goes and you don't see many (if any) faults in the animations and so on. Overall very good put together and not overdone! 9/10

Total feel for the movie, 9/10. I won't give a 10/10 because many of the actors lack experience and pressence on the set which you can see, it doesn't ruin the movie but for a true movie lover/fanatic it's noticable. Go "rent" it, you won't regret it!
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!