Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror

Russian military presence in Syria poses challenge to US-led intervention

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...itary-presence

Advisers deployed with surface-to-air systems bolster President Assad's defences and complicate outcome of any future strikes
    ups the stakes a bit doesnt it. just need some chineese troops in Iran and the stage is set.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are we intervening in Syria, anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    We are we intervening in Syria, anyway?
    "Humanitarian Crisis!"
    "World Police!"
    "something something Illuminati!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    "Humanitarian Crisis!"
    "World Police!"
    "something something Illuminati!"
    Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. I thought the US learned its lesson about meddling in the domestic affairs of floundering states without any significant geopolitical advantage.

That last part was a joke, btw.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. I thought the US learned its lesson about meddling in the domestic affairs of floundering states without any significant geopolitical advantage.

That last part was a joke, btw.
    The only lesson I'm aware that the US has learned in warfare is 'big bombs good' and 'napalm sticks to babies.'

Meh. If we are going to attack anyone it should be those shifty South Americans. How dare they claim the word 'America' without being a state!

Deleted
    Sounds about right. The Cold War never ended the objectives of either side (which were crap originally anyway) just eroded away and all the military muscle-flexing is simply for its own sake at this point.

I'm not sure how long the Russian military would genuinely stand fast against a sanctioned UN intervention. Whatever happens though, I hope in this situation, the mistake made by Western forces in Afghanistan in the 80s, backing a group like the Mujahideen, will not be made again in Syria.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only lesson I'm aware that the US has learned in warfare is 'big bombs good' and 'napalm sticks to babies.'

Meh. If we are going to attack anyone it should be those shifty South Americans. How dare they claim the word 'America' without being a state!
    The only people we should be 'attacking' are Iran. And by 'attacking' I mean giving Israel the green light to deal with their nuclear program.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Sounds about right. The Cold War never ended the objectives of either side (which were crap originally anyway) just eroded away and all the military muscle-flexing is simply for its own sake at this point.

I'm not sure how long the Russian military would genuinely stand fast against a sanctioned UN intervention. Whatever happens though, I hope in this situation, the mistake made by Western forces in Afghanistan in the 80s, backing a group like the Mujahideen, will not be made again in Syria.
    You mean like Egypt?

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 06:25 AM ----------

The only people we should be 'attacking' are Iran. And by 'attacking' I mean giving Israel the green light to deal with their nuclear program.
    Meh. I'm not a big fan of a theocracy having nuclear weapon capabilities, but I honestly don't think I know enough about the situation to discuss it intelligently.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean like Egypt?
    Initially I supported Mubarak, but in hindsight I think Obama knew that it was the right time to cut the cord.

Plus, gives us another excuse to internationalize the Suez Canal.

Meh. I'm not a big fan of a theocracy having nuclear weapon capabilities, but I honestly don't think I know enough about the situation to discuss it intelligently.
    You probably know more about it than the people who try to discuss it, point of fact.

Besides, this thread is about Libya Mk II...I mean Syria.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    iran hasnt attacked another country in over 300 years. i see no reason whatsoever to keep threatening iran. 1.5 million dead iraqis and a country broken up and destroyed means id rather we left people to sort their own affairs. israel has WMDs and regularly attacks its neighbours and is in breach of more UN resolutions than the rest of the UN combined. how about we invade them under a UN banner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    iran hasnt attacked another country in over 300 years. i see no reason whatsoever to keep threatening iran. 1.5 million dead iraqis and a country broken up and destroyed means id rather we left people to sort their own affairs. israel has WMDs and regularly attacks its neighbours and is in breach of more UN resolutions than the rest of the UN combined. how about we invade them under a UN banner.
    Because an Islamic theocracy with nuclear armament is a bad idea.

Israel is only likely to employ their nuclear arsenal at the utmost end of need.

The only resolutions Israel is breaching are the ones passed by the General Assembly, which do not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    Ironically Israel, although never agreed to anything saying they wouldn't create more nuclear weapons, has never been proven to have a nuclear weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ironically Israel, although never agreed to anything saying they wouldn't create more nuclear weapons, has never been proven to have a nuclear weapon.
    Yes. The Negev Nuclear Research Center is clearly for peaceful research. -le sarcasm-

Yes. The Negev Nuclear Research Center is clearly for peaceful research. -le sarcasm-
    Just as much as the Iranian enrichment facility is for research into power plant fuel.

Ironically, one of them signed an agreement saying they would not push towards developing nuclear armaments, and one did not.

Deleted
    Because an Islamic theocracy with nuclear armament is a bad idea.
    And a zionic democracy that performs acts of terrorism to the native inhabitants of their country and has nuclear capability is a good idea?

Deleted
    The current Russian Military is a joke. Their troops are poorly trained and disciplined, equipment is outdated when they can get it to work and most of their Navy and Airforce are rusting away in storage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bring it on
    #money
    #swagger
    #Canada

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    And a zionic democracy that performs acts of terrorism to the native inhabitants of their country and has nuclear capability is a good idea?
    Yes, because they're not likely to use said capability unless as a last resort. Plus, it's pretty much a fait accompli as with Pakistan and North Korea.

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 04:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    The current Russian Military is a joke. Their troops are poorly trained and disciplined, equipment is outdated when they can get it to work and most of their Navy and Airforce are rusting away in storage.
    Ah, my beloved soldier of the former British Empire, I was wondering when you would return to me. <3

Deleted
    Yes, because they're not likely to use said capability unless as a last resort. Plus, it's pretty much a fait accompli as with Pakistan and North Korea.

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 04:06 AM ----------

Ah, my beloved soldier of the former British Empire, I was wondering when you would return to me. <3
    You know I would never leave you for long. I will only be away as long as the booze holds out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    You know I would never leave you for long. I will only be away as long as the booze holds out.
    And the sodomy and the lash.

Oh wait, that's the Royal Navy.