View Poll Results: Is Warcraft a "ripoff" of Warhammer?

Voters
547. This poll is closed
  • Yes

131 23.95%
  • No

416 76.05%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Perhaps it started that way, but at this point, both franchises are very different from each other.

Yeah, like Warcraft 1 and 2 definitely.

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't think about if WarCraft a Warhammer rip off, but instead you should be happy that there is no ridiculous patent laws preventing it.

Imagine what our games would be like if every single thing was patented like certain technology companies try to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Ever wondered why nobody hugs you and calls you by the name in the middle of the streets of New York? Because it's a friggin' metropolis and not the 1000 souls village you were raised in, dude.
    My hometown isn't small, it's one of the larger metro areas in the US (in fact, has some of the oldest schools/universities in the country). But it still has the Southern charm and hospitality.

It's not the size of city that makes it soulless, it's the mindset of it's people. We don't have this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese

But we do have this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg

What folks consider as a community in WoW isn't my culture, this is...

http://www.ehow.com/about_7222255_so...spitality.html
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    No. It's a ''ripoff'' of Lovecraft.

Influences don't really count.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    You shouldn't think about if WarCraft a Warhammer rip off, but instead you should be happy that there is no ridiculous patent laws preventing it.

Imagine what our games would be like if every single thing was patented like certain technology companies try to do.
    in that case warhammer wouldn't exist either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spriggs View Post
    I know it's Off-topic, but out of curiosity, what purpose does Rift housing serve? As that is what Blizzard said needs to be in housing in order for them to put resources into such a feature.
    Such a question can be asked also as, "what does raiding serve?".

It's different play styles for different players.

We have many games for many play styles. Many games incorporate what is fun and popular from other games. It's a way to have entertainment. Fixing up a home or a guild hall is a creative outlet, especially for those into modding games and enjoy interior decorating. It dovetails nicely into gaming.

It's a blast also seeing how much creativity a player base can have, too. What folks find use of objects can be astonishing (I still can't get over how they put 1+1 together to make aquariums)...

http://media.beta.photobucket.com/us...g.html?filters[term]=Aquarium%20EQ2&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=8

Some of those guild halls are truly works of Art.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Influenced by Warhammer, yes. A ripoff, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Such a question can be asked also as, "what does raiding serve?".

It's different play styles for different players.

We have many games for many play styles. Many games incorporate what is fun and popular from other games. It's a way to have entertainment. Fixing up a home or a guild hall is a creative outlet, especially for those into modding games and enjoy interior decorating. It dovetails nicely into gaming.

It's a blast also seeing how much creativity a player base can have, too. What folks find use of objects can be astonishing (I still can't get over how they put 1+1 together to make aquariums)...

http://media.beta.photobucket.com/us...g.html?filters[term]=Aquarium%20EQ2&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=8

Some of those guild halls are truly works of Art.

Unfortunately, giving players homes for the sake of being creative is not enough. There has to be something in housing that can further gameplay. You have to be able to do something with the housing once you've finished building/customizing. It must have a purpose that makes you want to come back to it like Dungeons or Battlegrounds, otherwise I would imagine Blizzard sees it as a waste of resources and time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narfwak View Post
    It basically is Warhammer. They were contracted to make RTS games for GW, but GW broke contract and left Blizzard with unfinished projects. Why do you think hydralisks look so much (or, rather, exactly) like Tyranids?

That's not to say, of course, that Warhammer is better than Warcraft. Generally, GW makes shit, and Blizzard shits gold.
    Which nid' does the hydralisk look like, please...tell me.
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    Which nid' does the hydralisk look like, please...tell me.
    Ravener I guess. From what I heard, GW copied that one from Blizzard and made it even more brutal as a "screw you" of sorts. They even have burrow as signature ability.

Last edited by Verdugo; 2012-12-24 at 05:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it is a ripoff, but Warhammer is also a ripoff of something else, but Ill admit WoW has gotten a much wider birth in ripping off from others i am suprised they havent been sued.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's more like a step-sibling than a rip-off. WH wasn't a video game, so it's really hard to compare.

For the secondary argument, I've played WoW for 7 years and I still play EverQuest. I agree with others in preferring EQ's graphics (mainly models and mobs) over WoWs. No, it's doesn't "technically" have more polygons and isn't "better graphics", but I still prefer the EQ art style on mobs/npcs to WoWs.

I think WoW is the greatest MMO of all time by a landslide, but list of things it borrowed from EQ is very long. EQ's community is THOUSANDS of times better. It's not even close. And the game is still a hell of a lot harder than WoW. You feel real fear when you enter some zones. Never like this with WoW.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

I think this is an issue with the fantasy genre in general:
    Everything rips off of DnD which ripped off of LotR. As soon as it hit computers, it became a rip off of Everquest, which itself ripped off of DnD and LotR, etc.

There are many common themes and the genre itself is very inclusive. How else do you keep something old and medieval? By not including modern technology and looking to the past as your pool of resources. Well, that's finite.

Blizz has come a long way in pushing the envelope with their gnome/goblin engineering and such, but ultimately, a sword is a sword, dwarves are dwarves, and dragons are dragons. Sure they are reimagined in different ways (trolls, for instance) but the basic source material is all the same.

Honestly, I fail to see why this should discourage anyone from enjoying something.

Like other have said it started as a rip off but Blizzard went their own path a while ago. Warcraft takes its influence from all sorts of places.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately, giving players homes for the sake of being creative is not enough.
    To you, but fortunately, you don't represent everyone.

You have to be able to do something with the housing once you've finished building/customizing.
    Read the history of this man...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoni_Gaudi

Alan Parsons Project even made a beautiful album about him, and this architectural project that may never end...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebng2-OrYOM

You will never finish updating your home (or guild hall). It's not static. Every reward and new object that can be placed there has to go into your design.

Had to hide my carpenter in EQ2, as the demand could be extreme, especially for guild halls and the perfectionists who'll spend 24hr runs decorating it!

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    I think this is an issue with the fantasy genre in general:
    Everything rips off of DnD which ripped off of LotR. As soon as it hit computers, it became a rip off of Everquest, which itself ripped off of DnD and LotR, etc.

There are many common themes and the genre itself is very inclusive. How else do you keep something old and medieval? By not including modern technology and looking to the past as your pool of resources. Well, that's finite.

Blizz has come a long way in pushing the envelope with their gnome/goblin engineering and such, but ultimately, a sword is a sword, dwarves are dwarves, and dragons are dragons. Sure they are reimagined in different ways (trolls, for instance) but the basic source material is all the same.

Honestly, I fail to see why this should discourage anyone from enjoying something.
    the big deviation blizzard has done has been with orcs.

in fact the more intelligent and sociable versions of orcs are termed "blizzardian orcs" where the typical bloodthirsty and mindless rape-machines are termed "tolkeinian orcs".

they were the first to make the idea of non-murderhorde smart(relatively) orcs popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    To you, but fortunately, you don't represent everyone.

Read the history of this man...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoni_Gaudi

Alan Parsons Project even made a beautiful album about him, and this architectural project that may never end...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebng2-OrYOM

You will never finish updating your home (or guild hall). It's not static. Every reward and new object that can be placed there has to go into your design.

Had to hide my carpenter in EQ2, as the demand could be extreme, especially for guild halls and the perfectionists who'll spend 24hr runs decorating it!

When I said "customization is not enough," I was refering to Blizzard. The paragraph I wrote is not targeted towards the opinions of players, but rather what would need to be possible for housing to be implimented by Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Ravener I guess. From what I heard, GW copied that one from Blizzard and made it even more brutal as a "screw you" of sorts. They even have burrow as signature ability.

That's GW ripping from blizzard, not the other way around.....

What Blizzard zerg model looks like a GW model from the time of the Star Craft launch?
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I said "customization is not enough," I was refering to Blizzard. The paragraph I wrote is not targeted towards the opinions of players, but rather what would need to be possible for housing to be implimented by Blizzard.
    It starts with having someplace for an adventurer to hang his hat.

EQ2 has your hall and guild halls. RIFT is using the environment itself to call home. WoW who knows.

But you have to have some building blocks to build with. But one thing is sure, not to go the LoTR route -- the peg system is a glorified shelving system.

It also has to be a main feature of the game to be a success, not something buried under dailies. The system is time consuming to make, and has to have a return on it's investment. For a game like WoW where cash shops also are frowned upon, it's also a venue to obtain custom housing gear from Blizzard's store (which makes it also not a drain on resources, it's a feature that pays for itself) no worse than buying pets. There's ingame items that can be used, but the store bought stuff are like furniture sets (sofas; end tables; beds...items that isn't a quest or adventure rewards).

It also can bring in new professions really lacking in WoW -- like Woodworkers and Carpenters.

It's a sub-economy all in itself. Much like the building industry in RL.