Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rommon64 View Post
    The Southern strategy

Dixiecrats

You seem to be forgetting the post war switch.
    Switch doesnt matter.. and it doesn't absolve the democrats of being the founders of the Klan... they did founded the KKK to actually keep the black from voting, and if they did vote, they damn well better vote for the democrats or be killed.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Just a little bit of easily verifiable information about Fred Phelps,

You dont have to like it, but the fact is PHELPS IS A DEMOCRAT. Sorry that doesn't fit with your position, despite how much you hate Fox, they told the truth on this.
    They didn't lie about him being a Democrat. They (arguable) lied about him being left wing. There is a difference.

Switch doesnt matter.. and it doesn't absolve the democrats of being the founders of the Klan... they did founded the KKK to actually keep the black from voting, and if they did vote, they damn well better vote for the democrats or be killed.
    I never said it did. But to use that as a reason to say that TODAY'S politicians (of either party) are racist is disingenuous at best.
    Last edited by Rommon64; 2012-12-24 at 11:40 PM.
    Wiping is Fun! ™

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a little bit of easily verifiable information about Fred Phelps,

You dont have to like it, but the fact is PHELPS IS A DEMOCRAT. Sorry that doesn't fit with your position, despite how much you hate Fox, they told the truth on this.
    Perhaps you could enlighten us and list a few left wing ideals that Fred Phelps holds.

Anti gay rights, pro life, anti science....these all seem right wing to me.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    But why does it matter? These people are crazy and aren't representative of anything except people who need to be locked away from society. It doesn't matter who or what the Democrats were 200 years ago. It doesn't matter they created the KKK. It. Doesn't. Matter. So why do people make such a big deal out of nothing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically, Democrat doesn't equal liberal (Nor Republican equal conservative). The parties have switched sides at least once.

Instead of trying to throw the 'hot potato' back and forth, we should try just throwing it away, if you understand my metaphor.
    Only problem would be that they'd have to close the thread and the Fox bashers would have to find a new thread to bash Fox in.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the whole, Free Speech and news organizations lying topic; What are false adversing laws like in the States? Could an argument be made that it would fall under that sort restriction? I'm assuming the current precedent says no.
    Caveat emptor tends to be the guiding principle. Of course there are recourses against blatant false advertising, but most people that intend to decieve possess the ability to cover their asses sufficiently.

The one exception is defamation, and in this case the logic is this; defamation has only occured if the falsity was such that a reasonable person could believe it to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    They didn't lie about him being a Democrat. They (arguable) lied about him being left wing. There is a difference.

I never said it did. But to use that as a reason to say that TODAY'S politicians (of either party) are racist is disingenuous at best.
    Sorry, you lose on this one... the Democrats just find it impossible to avoid calling the GOP racist. When that stops and the politics of hate stop, then maybe we'll have gotten somewhere.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    They actually fought, and won a court case for their 'right' to lie.

Edit:

After looking up stuff on this, it wasn't so much 'the right to lie', as it was 'the right to not print the truth', which might sound the same, but is different enough for them to have won. Or at least, that's how I'm understanding it.
    I'd like to see your sources on that. I'm not calling you our or anything, I just want it to spread around myself with this "news" story.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Just wait until they start calling them an atheist hate group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Perhaps you could enlighten us and list a few left wing ideals that Fred Phelps holds.

Simple easily verifiable fact. Fred Phelps runs for Senate and Governor as a Democrat. No getting away from that. period.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    I'd like to see your sources on that. I'm not calling you our or anything, I just want it to spread around myself with this "news" story.
    Why? Nothing is going to come of it - indeed, nothing should. You can't say you support freedom of the press and then crusade against the press for exercising that right. There are people who will abuse their liberties, but taking action against them by abrogating that liberty sets a dangerous precedent.

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 03:47 PM ----------

Simple easily verifiable fact. Fred Phelps runs for Senate and Governor as a Democrat. No getting away from that. period.
    And this means what, exactly? The parties in the United States are so large and generic that of course you're going to have people contrary to the majority platform.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Caveat emptor tends to be the guiding principle. Of course there are recourses against blatant false advertising, but most people that intend to decieve possess the ability to cover their asses sufficiently.

The one exception is defamation, and in this case the logic is this; defamation has only occured if the falsity was such that a reasonable person could believe it to be true.
    I guess this is just another one of these things where, in order to uphold the whole 'Freedom and Justice for all!' concept that we've built our nations on, we need to except that it'll some times come with grey areas.

'I may not like what you say, but I will die for your right to say it' and all that.
    Wiping is Fun! ™

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    But why does it matter? These people are crazy and aren't representative of anything except people who need to be locked away from society. It doesn't matter who or what the Democrats were 200 years ago. It doesn't matter they created the KKK. It. Doesn't. Matter. So why do people make such a big deal out of nothing?
    Why... because the Democrats of today have it ingrained in their DNA to claim that their opposition is racist. And as I see it, if you are going to call someone racist you damn well better be able to prove it, otherwise its slanderous, dishonest, and worthy of all the scorn someone can bring down on another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post

anti middle east wars, anti welfare reform, crap when he was a lawyer he tried to sue Ronald Reagan for appointing a ambassador to the Vatican because it violated "the separation of church and state".
    Last edited by stabetha; 2012-12-24 at 11:51 PM.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

10+ Year Old Account
    Except it would not take more than a thought to run as a Democrat so you actually have a chance of getting into office. Anybody can call themselves whatever they want, it doesn't make them so.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not trying to. He's a registered Democrat, I get it.

I'm simply asking you to list a few left wing ideologies that Fred Phelps holds. That is the contention of this article.

Democrat != left wing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if people understand why I call them Faux News now.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess this is just another one of these things where, in order to uphold the whole 'Freedom and Justice for all!' concept that we've built our nations on, we need to except that it'll some times come with grey areas.

'I may not like what you say, but I will die for your right to say it' and all that.
    Pretty much. More harm is done by restricting them than by letting them lie.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Can someone tell me why a newschannel is allowed to tell lies? I know there is a right of free speech, but to tell lies in a newschannel should have consequenses.
    If news channels were shut down or actually punished for lying there wouldne be any news channels left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    ant middle east wars, anti welfare reform, crap when he was a lawyer he tried to sue Ronald Reagan for appointing a ambassador to the Vatican because it violated "the separation of church and state".
    Links please. Currently held beliefs.