Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    4 years away from Korea and most of the world is still fucked from WW2.
    Plus the beginnings of the decolonization wars. 1946 was peaceful in the West, but there was a lot of shit going down in other places in the world.

---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 12:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    Rwandan genocide says hello.
    Don't forget all the war in the Congo, Somalia, Afghanistan, the Balkan Wars. There were millions of war dead in the 90s.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Why isn't it? Having active deterrents is not the same as being at war with another power.
    I think maybe it has to do more with my definitions of peace. I don't think two lions growling at each other, while blocked by a lethal electric fence is not peace. I'm not saying the whole world is like that, but the inability to act out your aggressions doesn't make you peaceful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Plus the beginnings of the decolonization wars. 1946 was peaceful in the West, but there was a lot of shit going down in other places in the world.

---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 12:08 AM ----------

Don't forget all the war in the Congo, Somalia, Afghanistan, the Balkan Wars. There were millions of war dead in the 90s.
    I agree in principle, but it is hard to class being at peace when you are homeless and starving. Europe was totally fucked after WW2, the UK did not stop rationing until the 1950's, many countries had it much worse too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aethon View Post
    I think maybe it has to do more with my definitions of peace. I don't think two lions growling at each other, while blocked by a lethal electric fence is not peace. I'm not saying the whole world is like that, but the inability to act out your aggressions doesn't make you peaceful.
    Well then you might as well give up campaigning for peace, because humans are aggressive by nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I agree in principle, but it is hard to class being at peace when you are homeless and starving. Europe was totally fucked after WW2, the UK did not stop rationing until the 1950's, many countries had it much worse too.
    For sure, the world was a total mess in 1946.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Well then you might as well give up campaigning for peace, because humans are aggressive by nature.
    I don't campaign for my definition of peace, quit the opposite most times. however humans are naturally agressive, however you can make mental efforts to not be, it's really not hard with a little self control.

15+ Year Old Account
    What about the time even before the Dinosaurs? :P
    Druid since Feb. 06

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aethon View Post
    I don't campaign for my definition of peace, quit the opposite most times. however humans are naturally agressive, however you can make mental efforts to not be, it's really not hard with a little self control.
    Don't conflate individual impulses with national ones.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The post cold-war era has been rather peaceful. One superpower exists, the United States, and they haven't attacked the other western powers. They have traded with them instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post

Million of deaths mean less today with us having so many more people walking the surface of earth. A mighty battle in old days was 5-10k people on each side.
    Today USA send 250k people in, as an army, for one country. It's not even the full force.

I'll have to ask my brother about this. He's very much interrested in all wars, their reason, strategy in the battles etc.
    Personally i think war is for stupid/greedy people.

I don't know if it's the most peacefull in all recorded history, but there's surely more pressure to not do it. Sanctations, boycots or even war to the country that start a war, or doesn't live up to the "rules of war".(i know we ignore some wars)

yes we have several wars that have had a huge impact in the news, but it doesn't mean we have more war pr living being on the earth. We've had vinkings, babarians. Nations that had a large part of their identity being defined by warfare.
    We don't really have that today.

Yes. Europe isn't the world(Gasp!). neither is USA(Gasp!). Neither China, India or Australia. But it's a god damn large part of the world, that is living in relative peace.
    We have a lot of exponation of the trouble there is in the world from the media, which make it seem like it's an endless battle going on(and some that we only hear about once in a while because it matters little to the economic)

Bottom line is. I have no real clue, but it might be true. I'll try to ask my brother about it.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xe4ro View Post
    What about the time even before the Dinosaurs? :P
    Pretty sure animals were still killing each other before the land before time:}
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    As a-soon-to-be Earth scientist and a potential smart-ass I have to say that the most peaceful period the world has ever been is before any kind of life existed on it. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    So I haven't been able to find any data to quantify this claim, but I've heard from folks and random articles without sources that we are in the most peaceful period of recorded human history. Personally I don't think that's very true but of course my idea is shouted down by "you're biased because it looks like there's more war because of media coverage". And to that I have nothing else to say.

So what do you folks think?
    In the sense that there aren't country vs country wars, then yes, it's relatively peaceful.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Million of deaths mean less today with us having so many more people walking the surface of earth.
    You can't really say things like that. Its like "the rape of the girl means less nowadays because more girls walking the surface of earth".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    You can't really say things like that. Its like "the rape of the girl means less nowadays because more girls walking the surface of earth".
    If you look at it on an individual basis, perhaps. But it's really not applicable to matters of foreign policy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to agree that this time is the most peaceful in recorded history.

Which is really unfortunate, as there are still several war torn areas ravaged by famine, civil war, or general terrorist or foreign aggression.

Have to start somewhere, I suppose.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    As a-soon-to-be Earth scientist and a potential smart-ass I have to say that the most peaceful period the world has ever been is before any kind of life existed on it. :P
    Not really, my philosophy side of me says that there has to be things that are peaceful for peace to happen. There has to be things with the ability to not be at peace to make peace happen. Also my smart ass says we have no idea if life has ever not existed.

Also if something is able to just not have living things to be at peace then why not just bomb a country and kill everything that lives in it. Since there are no living things there anymore is it at 'peace'?
    Last edited by apepi; 2012-12-25 at 12:54 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I can partially agree. For the amount of people that are currently living on Earth it's impressive how well it's done. Both the threat of nuclear warfare and smaller countries fearing the strength of far more powerful ones only fairly minor things have been happening.

Technology is helping connect the world, and I believe that's contributing a lot towards it.

Deleted
    No, I think thinks were pretty calm at the start of TBC, ever since Wrathgate there's been big tensions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akinaria View Post
    What about 1946?
    War in the pacific was still going in 1946 and well past that.