Mob battles and attacking

Hello,
    Just got a copy of GW2 and love it! I have a question though. Is there an easy way to attack a mob without double clicking every new target? I find it extremely hard to locate the cursor in the heat of a large mob battle so my character defeats the first target and then is left standing there doing nothing until I locate my cursor and double click a new target to attack. Thanks.

Deleted
    Isn't there an option on by default to auto-target things when you attack? Pressing 1 should attack the nearest target. Check your options screen
    Last edited by mmoc9f738f0006; 2012-12-24 at 07:50 PM.

It doesn't auto target. But if you select an ability it will go off whether you have something targeted or not. Anything in front of you will get hit if it is in range. If you have played Age of Conan it is very similar to how it works in that game.

There is an option to auto target mobs on keypress. One can also, tab target, as is common in many mainstream MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is an option to auto target mobs on keypress.
    Hmm, didn't know that. Still wont use it but I suppose it's nice that it is there.

Pretty handy in a zerg. Vital for efficient gold farming.

I just turn all auto-targeting options off and go in swinging. My greatsword hits nearly everything in front of me without the need for a target. GW2 uses targeting more for convenience than for ability activation (barring a few certain spells).

Quote Originally Posted by Arajal View Post
    I just turn all auto-targeting options off and go in swinging. My greatsword hits nearly everything in front of me without the need for a target. GW2 uses targeting more for convenience than for ability activation (barring a few certain spells).
    So you can hit targets even if you dont have them targeted?

Quote Originally Posted by svoltmer View Post
    Yep, if they are in front of you, you will hit them. If you are able to move the enemies skillfully around to in front of you, you can hit them all.

ya unlike most other MMO's skills can be fired without a target. If you use an ability it will automaticly try to hit an apropreate target within the skills attack arc. For melee attacks it will hit up to 3 targets in front of you, basicly if your weapon passes through the enemy hitbox it will strike them even untargeted(max 3 targets for most skills) For ranged skills it will try to find a valid target withen range and inside a narrow cone in front of your character. If nothing is there the skill just flyes off into the distance.On the flip side this also means you can waste CD's on thin air if you attack and theres no valid target withen reach.

The main reason to lock on to a target is to ensure that specific target is the prefered one for all your attacks. Your character will auto face up to a point to hit your target if its withen range. This is more useful for ranged attacks as melee your often just as well wadeing in and whailing away. still even for melee if there is one target you want to prioritize if you have a target it will always be one of the 3 your skill attempts to hit if there are 4+ targets you could have hit with the attack. well that and for accurate application of the few single target melee strikes. If you realy want there is an option to promote skill target that will auto lock onto the first target you hit with a spell if you dont have a current target.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    ya unlike most other MMO's skills can be fired without a target. If you use an ability it will automaticly try to hit an apropreate target within the skills attack arc. For melee attacks it will hit up to 3 targets in front of you, basicly if your weapon passes through the enemy hitbox it will strike them even untargeted(max 3 targets for most skills) For ranged skills it will try to find a valid target withen range and inside a narrow cone in front of your character. If nothing is there the skill just flyes off into the distance.On the flip side this also means you can waste CD's on thin air if you attack and theres no valid target withen reach.

The main reason to lock on to a target is to ensure that specific target is the prefered one for all your attacks. Your character will auto face up to a point to hit your target if its withen range. This is more useful for ranged attacks as melee your often just as well wadeing in and whailing away. still even for melee if there is one target you want to prioritize if you have a target it will always be one of the 3 your skill attempts to hit if there are 4+ targets you could have hit with the attack. well that and for accurate application of the few single target melee strikes. If you realy want there is an option to promote skill target that will auto lock onto the first target you hit with a spell if you dont have a current target.
    Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by svoltmer View Post
    Yeah. I'd personally stay away from auto-target if you plan on PvPing at all. Get used to playing with tab & click targeting. I use entirely manual targeting and never miss having auto target.