Poll: What do you think?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Seriously, i really don't see the big fuss over 1-49 being F2P, especially with the lite restrictions, like a limit of 5 plat, cant equip epic items etc.. i really think this could bulk out the lower level zones and help the lower level zones feel less dead.

An extension of the current Rift Lite to level 49 would be a worthwhile move. Make certain that these players can access a basic dimension, that is going to be the selling point for Rift. Also it'd be good if Lite players could access subscription players Dimensions so they could see how flipping amazing they are.

I strongly oppose any sort of cash shop, pay2win or F2P model.

I think every game should be FTP (besides initial purchase.) I will not play any MMO again that requires a subscription.

While I think that it is better for the good mmorpg to be subscription based, I don't mind if Rift becoming ftp.
    But only if it wont go the swtor way where you can't make even a single step in the world without getting a message "buy subscription and you'll level faster, buy credits to activate this feature, buy item to remove daily/weekly limit, buy, buy, buy". The game is absolutely unplayable/unenjoyable in that state.

You need to do a lot of work to make the game free, enjoyable and in the same time still profitable. Not sure if its even possible.

So unless they would have some awesome ideas about how to do this, its better for the game to stay ptp.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Eve is the only game in town of it's quality.

Rift is a generic fantasy MMO for the most part.
    Yes, the point was more that the amount of subscribers seems to not only work for a non public company but actually be fairly profitable even, considering what CCP done over the years and how much their company grew.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2012-12-25 at 12:03 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's utter nonsense.

Firstly, Rift has no comparable system least Trion invent one to sell for profit. An unlikely prospect. Secondly, it should be of no concern to other players the speed or ease by which another comes to the a given threshold in game.
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    How are experience potions winning, out of curiosity? The end-goal is to hit level cap (or the rough equivalent in TSW, which if I understand correctly is more determined by the QL gear than anything else), at which point experience does little to nothing (depending on what game you play) to your overall power.

Rift has PA levels, for example, but each individual level is an extremely minor increase in power at best. Even then, it's quite easy to only have experience boosts apply to leveling experience and not PA experience. Getting to 60 super fast is great and all, but you still have to grind out the dungeons and IS's to get gear, and that's something you can't really effectively do by yourself.
    Okay, I must apologize and ammend what I wrote, I meant "pay to gain an advantage". By buying the experience potions in TSW you gain an advantage that you gain experience quicker. People who can't afford to do this are therefore at a disadvantage, but at the same time, you're both right, how quickly others get to a said goal (be it max level, or max amount of points like in TSW) should not be the concern of someone else.

What I was merely trying to point out is that I prefer a system where everyone pays a set fee towards playing the game (and therefore paying towards its development), than that some people pay more than others and gain said advantages, or "perks" might be a better word.

But Fencers, I'm not quite sure what you're saying with "Rift has no comparable system". Isn't that what I stated in my post? Or am I misunderstanding? Or did you mean that the 1-49 system in Asia doesn't have any sort of cash shop with "pay for perks" items? If so, that's also not what I meant, my post was rather unclear at what I actually mean -_-
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-12-24 at 11:29 PM.

Deleted
    I have posted this before and I am posting again, Trion makes this game what it is as long as they make content I like and will play and pay for great. As long as I keep getting this and they are making money which they are and enjoying doing it which they are that is the best I can hope for. They have a sound business model which isn't all money money money they give and take as long as it works stay as is there is no need to change anything and I am sure if something did need to change Trion would do it right

Deleted
    This MMORPG IF ANY at all deserves to have a monthly fee, so it's a big NO for me.
    Trion is working very hard and releasing quality content fast.
    If that doesn't make an MMORPG deserve having a monthly fee, then nothing does..

In my country, the cost of 1 month of Rift (~70 NOK with yearly sub) equals:
    2 tram tickets to the city, or
    1 cinema ticket, or
    1 decent hamburger, or
    1 beer at a pub, or
    3 paper newspapers, or
    4,5 litres with Coca Cola, or
    1 beer, 1 bag with chips and 1 small chocolate from the supermarket

So, by not spending much money on that, I can instead:
    Pay a monthly fee for a music service (Spotify)
    Pay a monthly fee for a movie service (Netflix)
    Pay a monthly fee for a gaming service (Rift)

Also, when relaxing, I prefer to do that without having to think about money.

With a sub based gaming service, I can also pay for my kids now and then (=WoW/Rift) because the cost is known and fixed.
    No way I would have done that if they were asking me to buy stuff from a cash shop all the time (means no Allods/Swtor/Lotro for them...).

TL;DR: Play Rift and please keep the subscription

I think Trion is the only company that can stand tall and say they earn the subscription money each month and have done so since day one.

It's really the only game currently I think is worth the subscription cost because of not just the level of content delivered each month but also the level of interaction with the community and support they provide.

RiFT is worth every penny each month so no I don’t think RiFT should be f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I appreciate f2p games, I believe that Rift has been successful enough as to not need to go F2P.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarx View Post
    I wish this game be free
    I wish my rent were free. But Trion does great things with the cash

Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    it's not fully F2P though, its up to level 49 with the same restrictions as lite
    Really should have made this more obvious in the title - like "Do you think RIFT should increase it's free "Lite" version to level 49?".

Take The Secret World for example. Now they've removed the mandatory subscription fee, you can buy potions that increase your experience gain for a set amount of time, with a cooldown. In otherwords, the more money you spend the quicker you gain Ability Points etc. I don't want Rift heading down the "pay2win" road.
    That's utter nonsense.

Firstly, Rift has no comparable system least Trion invent one to sell for profit. An unlikely prospect. Secondly, it should be of no concern to other players the speed or ease by which another comes to the a given threshold in game.
    Firstly, Veteran's Experience Vial. Rift has precisely a "potions that increase your experience gain for a set amount of time."

Secondly, the essence of pay-to-play is that all players are on roughly the same playing field. Introduce any game-modifying, real-money-purchasable component, and the richer players (or those more willing to sacrifice real cash) move ahead more quickly than those not putting real-money in. To participate in a top raiding guild, I may be expected to level all my alts this way, thereby gating access to the guild to those people willing to pay extra. The whole experience changes fundamentally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Onorvele View Post
    I wish my rent were free. But Trion does great things with the cash

Really should have made this more obvious in the title - like "Do you think RIFT should increase it's free "Lite" version to level 49?".
    i mentioned it in my first post and the TL;DR section

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    i mentioned it in my first post and the TL;DR section
    Most people barely even read forum post titles, let alone put in the time to 'scroll' down to read the TL;DR

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    Most people barely even read forum post titles, let alone put in the time to 'scroll' down to read the TL;DR
    Just put it in bold and merry xmas seattin :P

It would be nice if it had a free to play option!. But also a sub one. I have no interest in paying for a game this dear and then giving up in 2 months when guild wars 2 is on the market. However if it was free and I could give it a decent try (and few dungeons) then I might end up subbing. But thats just my opinion on the matter

Rift is actually the only MMO on the market I feel deserves to have a sub model, and no I don't play it. FTP destroys communities and leveling experiences, and I would rather not see it adopted, even in the "rift lite" form suggested.

Not at all. They have it done right now - with the free-to-play until level 20 deal. And they are also very kind in their pricing for a new player. I have stated on other threads, when I bought the game I got the original game, a special upgrade copy with mount and banker and whatever else, and 1 month of sub for $15. I was already sold on the game after playing 1-20, but when I saw how much it would be I became just a little giddy.
    Last edited by slime; 2012-12-25 at 02:03 PM.

Alot in my guild would be pretty pissed if Rift went free to play, since we all paid for 1 yr subs and got storm legion free.

Deleted
    I bet lvl 49 pvp is more interesting than the lvl 60 one so I would personally love having a char or two on lvl 49 and pvp on that level. I can also 99% guarantee it would be the most popular and most successful rift pvp field. So, as a pvp player I say yes to that model!