[Books] Can anyone recommend some good math or science books?

I am not looking for any textbook, and not something most quantative (question based) Nothing by Stephen Hawking or Michio Kaku, as I've already read them all. Thanks.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend this bad boy: Why does E=MC2 (and why should we care?)

a very good book on the subject, I found it to be an interesting read.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Any particular genre of science? I read a ton of science, although a lot of it is history-of-science stuff.

Edit:

Here are some of my recent favorites:

• The Great Influenza by John M. Barry [biological science / science history]
    • The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean [chemistry / science history]
    • Deep Down Things: The Breathtaking Beauty of Particle Physics by Bruce A. Schumm [physics]
    • The Poisoner’s Handbook by Deborah Blum [forensic science / science history]
    • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot [biological/medical science, medical ethics, history]
    • Phantoms in the Brain : Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind by VS Ramachandran [neuroscience] - also anything by Ramachandran is guaranteed to be fabulous.
    • Packing for Mars [space exploration] or Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers [biology/medical/forensic/misc] by Mary Roach
    • Feathers: The Evolution of a Natural Miracle by Thor Hanson [biology / evolutionary science]
    • The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation by Jon Gertner [technology / science history]
    • Written in Stone: Evolution, the Fossil Record, and Our Place in Nature by Brian Switek [biology / evolutionary science]
    • The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes [physics / science history]
    • The Mind and the Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, Sharon Begley [neuroscience]

All of these are really good. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and The Disappearing Spoon are easily the best science-genre books that I've read in years. Both are recently published and received tons of favourable attention.

Really, all of the books above are good. They're all accessible to the layman, without being dumbed down. Some are fairly specific in topic and might prove more interesting to someone in that field of study, but none of them require background knowledge in their respective areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    I heard this was good myself, but haven't read it.

I have also heard positive things about Proofiness: The Dark Arts of Mathematical Deception by Charles Seife but again have not read it. Felt like I should get a maths recommendation in.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2012-12-26 at 06:57 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

A Briefer History of Time was good, but you've already read it by the looks of it.

I reccomened:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Wormho...3&sr=1-1-spell

Thanks for all of the recommendations guys, I'll be sure to look up a preview of all of them.

edit: For genres of science, I am most interested in physics and chemistry, but everything else is okay as well.
    Last edited by Tobywongg; 2012-12-27 at 10:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobywongg View Post
    edit: For genres of science, I am most interested in physics and chemistry, but everything else is okay as well.
    Then I'd absolutely encourage reading The Disappearing Spoon. I absolutely loved it. It's about the periodic table.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |