Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    idk about you, but i hit the gym 4 times a week to gain weight, not loose it, and it works wonders, would not be able to grow so much muscle by running or.. whatever else you are doing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Well they can look however they goddamn please, but can they stop grunting and squeeking when they have to lift their 100kg weights ?
    Whenever I meet somebody who doesn't believe we are related to ape's (never happened in my life tough) I'll take him to my gym/zoo
    You'd grunt if you had to lift 100kg above your head. To be fair to these guys, not everyone goes to a gym to look like a teenage boy pin-up with a washboard stomach and tiny arms. Powerlifting and strongman both require lifting incredible loads, lifting such loads requires, occasionally, violent exhilation of air or a bit of a grunt to get the weight up, down, over, etc.

What I'm saying is, don't judge these guys - they're doing their thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    You'd grunt if you had to lift 100kg above your head. To be fair to these guys, not everyone goes to a gym to look like a teenage boy pin-up with a washboard stomach and tiny arms. Powerlifting and strongman both require lifting incredible loads, lifting such loads requires, occasionally, violent exhilation of air or a bit of a grunt to get the weight up, down, over, etc.

What I'm saying is, don't judge these guys - they're doing their thing.
    Sure, who am I to judge?
    I'm just saying it looks & sounds kinda ape-like (but why would you want forearms as thick as my upperleg ? unless you're a lumberjack/miner/builder ofcourse )

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone believes that going to a gym is a necessity for physical health, yes. Otherwise, gyms are a useful tool to help motivating yourself to get healthy when you get to learn better techniques that improves your performance. It's what you personally get out of the whole thing that determines if it's good for you or not.

Deleted
    Gyms are practical. Not everyone has room for a squat rack and bench in their basement. Not everyone feels safe running outside in their neighbourhood.
    Gyms are social. It's absolutely marvellous to work out together with a friend, motivating each other, helping each other out when necessary.
    Gyms are safe. There's a dozen people standing around who are willing to give you advice on the safe and proper execution of exercises. If something does go wrong, help is near. The safety isn't just physical. Rarely have I seen a place where people are so like-minded as a gym. People are very willing to help you out, instead of judging you.
    Gyms are motivating. Not only in the sense of "you pay €20 per month for this, better get your ass in the gym", but when looking at the people around you as well. With the right amount of dedication, you can look like that as well.

Yes, the pressure that people experience to get in shape in today's society is crazy. But is that really that bad? I'd rather live in a world that pushes people to stay healthy, than in a world that accepts obesity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinzil View Post
    Yes, the pressure that people experience to get in shape in today's society is crazy. But is that really that bad? I'd rather live in a world that pushes people to stay healthy, than in a world that accepts obesity.
    words of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Edit: To summarize, I think that people are deluding themselves into thinking that if they don't go to the gym they can't get into "shape".
    Does anyone actually think that though? The gym is probably the most efficient way to get the results you want. My flatmate was a personal trainer and has people throwing money at him all the time, attending the sessions and yet never really approaching fitness with any conviction. That right there is the issue imo, it seems like for a lot of people having a gym membership is a comfort thing as in "I am not doing nothing" when they may as well be and saving themselves some cash.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    I don't know if this is cheap or not compared to yours but my gym-membership costs about 150euros a year, maybe a teen offer or something? Doubt you can buy much equipment with much variety for that amount of money :P
    My membership costs around 450 a year. I get access to a top quality gym (a proper free weights selection and cardio ares) and the usual pool/sauna and classes. It's also quite close by.

I agree that it does delude people into thinking you need to go to a gym to be fit, but I also think that the title its self is misleading. For example if it was not for are local gym I would never have got in shape, this is mainly due to the owner been possible the best trainer I have ever meet and the fact he is such a cool guy. But I agree that people need to realize there is a lot they can do in order to get fit rather then just going to the gym

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, not with the people I know, barely anyone I know lets the gym rip them off these days, I go out jogging and have my own set of weights. I know lots of people who would rather go for a jog as well than pay lots per month for gym membership.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinzil View Post
    Gyms are practical. Not everyone has room for a squat rack and bench in their basement. Not everyone feels safe running outside in their neighbourhood.
    Gyms are social. It's absolutely marvellous to work out together with a friend, motivating each other, helping each other out when necessary.
    Gyms are safe. There's a dozen people standing around who are willing to give you advice on the safe and proper execution of exercises. If something does go wrong, help is near. The safety isn't just physical. Rarely have I seen a place where people are so like-minded as a gym. People are very willing to help you out, instead of judging you.
    Gyms are motivating. Not only in the sense of "you pay €20 per month for this, better get your ass in the gym", but when looking at the people around you as well. With the right amount of dedication, you can look like that as well.

The issue isn't if gyms are good in practice, they are, it's whether or not the association as gyms being the place where one gets in shape is a bad thing. Generally the type of person who buys a membership and never even uses it.

According to this set of statistics, 2/3 of memberships go unused.

Deleted
    I've taken to cycling to get fit, I've lost 2Stone

For me the gym is about sculpting, not about fitness or strength. I know alot of people view this differently but i believe that training with your body as counterweight, using natural things and regular work-duties will make your body alot stronger then any exercise at the gym can ever do.

I mountainbike, climb mountain walls, run, swim, walk, chop wood, carry heavy logs and ofcourse eat properly. I have never had anyone ask me what i do to keep fit, they always say "man you just go alot to the gym". I have not set foot into a gym for 10 years(im 35), and since i stopped and started doin natural things my fat has gone way down and my muscle and strength and agility have gone through the roof.

I think people are just lazy in general tbh, most expect a wonder cure for their fat issue. I say move more, take up a hobby that you think is fun and that you move alot on. Start eating right, live your life like its your last day and be happy. And youll see that life has no problems you cant handle, and your fat will melt off you.

lol Gyms ruin physical health.

thats like blaming cars for drunken crashes when someone's 3 times over the limit.

its by no means perfect but its better than sitting on your ass doing nothing

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can keep yourself fit at home just as good as you can with a gym. Unless you are preparing for something... but when it comes down to an "average" fit, all you need to do is learn what kind of exercise you need and do it as you wish and were you wish.

If you really think that paying money is the way, you simply fail.

See our past. Humans were always fit because they were outside hunting and stuff... the gym idea is pure business (again unless you are preparing for something)

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Very clever OP but do you even lift?

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-12-26 at 03:01 PM.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Hey now, if anyone wants to get fit without going to the gym, I could always use cycling buddies...

10+ Year Old Account
    Your hypothesis doesn't really match your thread title. You seem to be saying "You don't need a gym in order to lose weight/gain muscle/remain fit." I agree with that statement completely. What I don't agree with is the statement that gyms are ruining physical health. I don't think I've ever seen someones health actually deteriorate as a result of going to the gym.

I have a gym membership for a few reasons:

1. The equipment is much better than what I have at home, resulting in a more versatile workout.
    2. Seeing other people working out motivates me to work out harder, and stay longer.
    3. I don't have to worry about making a mess, moving furniture around, being distracted by my computer/television/whatever.
    4. Sauna. They are incredibly awesome.
    5. Group workout classes.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Draahl View Post
    For me the gym is about sculpting, not about fitness or strength. I know alot of people view this differently but i believe that training with your body as counterweight, using natural things and regular work-duties will make your body alot stronger then any exercise at the gym can ever do.

I mountainbike, climb mountain walls, run, swim, walk, chop wood, carry heavy logs and ofcourse eat properly. I have never had anyone ask me what i do to keep fit, they always say "man you just go alot to the gym". I have not set foot into a gym for 10 years(im 35), and since i stopped and started doin natural things my fat has gone way down and my muscle and strength and agility have gone through the roof.

I think people are just lazy in general tbh, most expect a wonder cure for their fat issue. I say move more, take up a hobby that you think is fun and that you move alot on. Start eating right, live your life like its your last day and be happy. And youll see that life has no problems you cant handle, and your fat will melt off you.
    of course all those things will keep you fit and in shape, i dont think anyone would argue that they wouldn't but some people find it easier to just go to the gym, or might not like some of the things you said, also there is a professional side to the gym as well, as fit as you are you're not going to be winning any competitions anytime soon.

but yeh humans are naturally supposed to do the kind of things you mentioned including hunting wild prey for food, not grabbing a basket and heading into a shop :P

personally i go to the gym because if i try to do it at home i lack motivation while at the gym i find the focus to push myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    lol Gyms ruin physical health.

thats like blaming cars for drunken crashes when someone's 3 times over the limit.

its by no means perfect but its better than sitting on your ass doing nothing
    Read beyond the title, the subject is beyond the concept of gyms but the attitude that only gym's can increase physical well being. Not that they, in concept, ruin health.