Page 1 of 2
LastLast

U.S. Debit Card issue

Hi all, I went to the local 7-11 about an hour and a half ago to pick up some things, and my debit card was declined at both the purchase counter, and a nearby ATM. I checked my balance, and I have several purchases that aren't mine, (Ex: A carfax history report; I don't own a car) so I assume someone is trying to steal from me.

What I am wondering, at 4:30 AM, is can I find out any information specifically from my pending transactions listing? I don't imagine the bank by me will be open for a few hours.

Thanks in advance.

Should have 24/7 number you can call to report a stolen/lost card or transactions that aren't yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly certain that there's a number on your card, or somewhere online, that will take you to an around the clock contact dealing with stolen cards.

My card isn't -stolen-, though. Which is the issue, there are purchases made to places I've never been to.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshowl View Post
    My card isn't -stolen-, though. Which is the issue, there are purchases made to places I've never been to.
    Yes, it is. You call that number and tell them there are purchases on your account that you don't recognize, at places you have not been, but that you still have your card with you. They will go over your purchases and say what is your and what isn't and go from there. They will most likely invalidate the card as well.

CALL THE 24/7 NUMBER.

10+ Year Old Account
    Than it is technically stolen, even if you have the card in your hand. Your credit card is only a link to your actual account, and it is perfectly possible for others to bypass said link if they have the means to do so (ie your number, security code, and expiration date).

give the card to your parents or a close friend and explain the problem. it's clear you shouldn't be dealing that kind of technology

Infracted: Keep responses constructive and polite, please.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-12-27 at 01:14 PM.

This is the digital age, if someone is using your information to make purchases that are not authorized by you... it is considered stolen. Call the number on the back of the card, which should be toll-free and 24/7 to dispute the transactions and request a new card so that the exposed information cannot continue to be used.
    But then again, I am a Snowman on Fire!
    Yizelin the Insane

Quote Originally Posted by cornbreadthief View Post
    give the card to your parents or a close friend and explain the problem. it's clear you shouldn't be dealing that kind of technology
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm a legal adult. Excuse me for someone getting their hands on my information. I'll be sure to bury my valuables next time,

Perhaps a better term would be compromised. But yes, as others have said, call the number. Don't delay. You will almost certainly have that card invalidated and a new one issued. If your card has one of those paypass things on it, I'd advise getting a shielded wallet. Some people pick up your card's info simply by waving a device near your wallet, say, in line at a store.

Quote Originally Posted by Woceip View Post
    Perhaps a better term would be compromised. But yes, as others have said, call the number. Don't delay. You will almost certainly have that card invalidated and a new one issued. If your card has one of those paypass things on it, I'd advise getting a shielded wallet. Some people pick up your card's info simply by waving a device near your wallet, say, in line at a store.
    Thank you. To clarify, I've been waiting for a CS rep for some time now.

Computers don't have debit card readers, you type in your debit card info and make purchases. Hence, anybody with a pen and paper can write your card info and steal from you all they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Computers don't have debit card readers, you type in your debit card info and make purchases. Hence, anybody with a pen and paper can write your card info and steal from you all they want.
    What kind of terrible 'computers' to you use?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    What kind of terrible 'computers' to you use?
    Home computers?
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Home computers?
    Oh I see. I thought you meant at a brick and mortar place you were purchasing something.

Oh I see. I thought you meant at a brick and mortar place you were purchasing something.
    Ohh. I made my original post too vague, oops. There's a computer to do practically anything.

Now there's a retarded system.

-DIGIPAS-
    If your bank doesn't have it, change banks.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    Now there's a retarded system.

-DIGIPAS-
    If your bank doesn't have it, change banks.
    Never seen that before. Does the site your buying from have to support that system? Perhaps I'm asking a dumb question since I don't know how it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it is. You call that number and tell them there are purchases on your account that you don't recognize, at places you have not been, but that you still have your card with you. They will go over your purchases and say what is your and what isn't and go from there. They will most likely invalidate the card as well.

CALL THE 24/7 NUMBER.
    This is the correct answer. You might have the original physical card, but once the information has been stolen, the card and account have been comprised and are considered as such by the financial institution that issued them. Good luck getting it fixed. Debit card theft is usually much shittier to deal with than credit cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it is. You don't need the physical card to use it to make purchases online, just the card number, expiration, and CVC on the back. Someone's apparently gotten that information, so your card is stolen.

There will be a 24/7 number on the back of your card, probably an 877 number. Call. It.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow