Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JhanZ View Post
    Shift = pinky
    Alt = thumb
    Ctrl = this: http://i.imgur.com/H3Zry.jpg
    Lol never really thought of that. Probably have to get a keyboard that can disable the windows key and you'd have to get used to not hitting shift with it but I like that idea. They make some keyboards that have a button you can press to switch control to caps lock. I plan on getting a Noppoo choc mini since the F keys line up right above the number keys and you can also switch caps lock and ctrl. Just wish they made full size keyboards with lined up F keys.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no clue what drugs you rogues take that allows you to move sporadically around me, while stunned, appearing to move around me in every direction, and still manage to execute every backstab properly.
    It's called mouse turning O.o but seriously it's probably Killing Spree or the server is bugging from them spamming their strafe buttons (that makes me so effing angry when people do that.)

http://tbreak.com/tech/images/?produ...image_number=2

Those keys below the spacebar that this picture is highlighting are all of your modifiers. Not only can you quickly access Ctrl Alt and Shift, you can also access combinations of the three. I mainly just use shift crtl and alt, but I could see healers ect. really liking the number of modifiers you can quickly access with your thumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shift = pinky
    Alt = thumb
    Yea, that's what I do. I prefer to use Ctrl+Shift rather than Alt though. I just use the edge of my palm to hit both.

Deleted
    New keyboard, I can press all the keys that my left hand can reach to with shift and control pressed down on my g19, however I can't press alt. This does indeed cover 38 keybinds though, wich frankly is the amount of keybinds I need on my monk. thus I don't have any problems with wow :-), Although, I'd like to keybind my buffs, but, oh well.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i dont use alt or ctrl but i use a few shift modifiers. i fully understand how "different" it feels to use a new one. i play with a regular ole 3 button mouse and im constantly looking for different, easier, more comfortable ways to bind different abilities. although i did get enough cash from relatives i may finally invest in a gaming mouse and see what all the rave is about

If you really can't get used to modifier keys, or just don't like the way it plays, a few things you might try. I generally dislike using modifier keys if avoidable, so I use all of these to some extent:

#1) Try to better organize your keybinds. A lot of times, the problem isn't that you can't use the modifiers properly, but that you're just not comfortable with switching between modifier and non-modifer buttons frequently. Try to make sure you don't have any binds set up such that you'd frequently have to hit something like CTRL-Q,5,SHIFT+F1 in sequence. Also ensure that you're not putting "twitch" buttons on modifiers any more than necessary (that is, things you have to hit quickly in reaction to something rather than planning out your next move - for shamans, for example, you can get away with Mana Tide or Earthquake on a modifier, but Wind Shear should be something easily usable). Anything you use very infrequently or out of combat only (for example, self-buffs like auras or pet switch lists) you may even just want to click.

#2) Grab a keyboard with extra buttons, like the Logitech G510. The extra keys may be easier for you to hit than modifier + key.

#3) Move your default hand position over. That is, bind movement to ESDF or RDFG instead of WASD. Doing this gives you extra keys around your movement keys to use for actions.

#4) Grab a mouse with a lot of side buttons. Bind things there. Another option is to assign one of your mouse's side buttons to ALT or CTRL and use it as a modifier key.

The way I'm set up, I use ESDF, 5 extra mouse buttons, 6 of the extra keyboard keys, and have 0 (or nearly 0) actions bound to modifier+key on multiple characters, and anything I do have bound there is oddball extra stuff like targeting specific units or PvE macros for specific bosses.

never understood the big need for massive numbers of bindings. Considering most dps rotations are 2-3 spamming abilities and 1-2 on use/proc at most, and almost none need to be hit in super quick succession (cast times, GCD, lack of resources) I can maintain rotations just using numbers and clicking. I move with the mouse and click CD abilities etc. Never had a problem tanking, dpsing or healing from vanilla to now, I wont say im an awesome player but never had people saying I was holding back a raid. Vanilla I could understand the multiple keybindings due to downranked spells and the like, now, my lock uses Immo, Conflag, Incin, CB in rotation, 4 spells, 3 with cast times over the GCD. CD's and the like I plan to use and have ready to click as my current spell comes up and resume rotation with whichever number key is up (1 = Immo, 2 = conflag, 3 = Incin, 4 = CB for example). My blood DK, 1 = Blood strike, 2 = DS, 3= rune strike, 4 = blood boil, nothing else is really used on CD/spammed to be unable to click faster than its needed to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    I have many binds on control but I have tried many times using alt and shift but just for the life of me can't get used to it yet it's so normal to other players. I can press control quite comfortably with my pinky but when I try alt or tab I screw up a lot.

Any tips on how to get rolling on these? It will help me a lot to use these as I still click some abilities.
    I used to have this same problem (only reversed) and I found trick that worked PERFECT for me. Switch all of you ctrl keybinds to shift for a day or so; then switch them back and add some shift mods. After playing a bit with only the new mod you'll get used to it really fast.
    Last edited by barrsftw; 2012-12-27 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazu View Post
    never understood the big need for massive numbers of bindings. Considering most dps rotations are 2-3 spamming abilities and 1-2 on use/proc at most, and almost none need to be hit in super quick succession (cast times, GCD, lack of resources) I can maintain rotations just using numbers and clicking. I move with the mouse and click CD abilities etc. Never had a problem tanking, dpsing or healing from vanilla to now, I wont say im an awesome player but never had people saying I was holding back a raid. Vanilla I could understand the multiple keybindings due to downranked spells and the like, now, my lock uses Immo, Conflag, Incin, CB in rotation, 4 spells, 3 with cast times over the GCD. CD's and the like I plan to use and have ready to click as my current spell comes up and resume rotation with whichever number key is up (1 = Immo, 2 = conflag, 3 = Incin, 4 = CB for example). My blood DK, 1 = Blood strike, 2 = DS, 3= rune strike, 4 = blood boil, nothing else is really used on CD/spammed to be unable to click faster than its needed to be used.
    I put this in the pvp section for a reason :>

Pro tip

Buy USB foot pedals and asign them to alt/shift

Budget wise...practice, practice, practice even more. If anything, shift all of your ctrl binds to either alt or shift (pref shift to help you learn to use pinky for shift and have your palm do ctrl in the future). Frutrating at first but after a few hours of bgs/arena youll get used.

My keyboard has a button next to numlock that can toggle my caps lock becoming ctrl. So while gaming I can hit shift and ctrl (caps lock) with my pinky and alt with my thumb. When I'm not gaming I just hit the toggle again and it becomes caps lock again.

It took me almost four years to get used to the ctrl modifier. Practice is the only way to go, though.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 11:16 AM ----------

Shift = pinky
    Alt = thumb
    Jesus christ, your hand must be small! That place on my hand is outside the keyboard :O

Quote Originally Posted by Yemiena View Post
    Jesus christ, your hand must be small! That place on my hand is outside the keyboard :O
    Same, my fingers go off the end of my keyboard if I try to put my palm/part of hand on control or shift. My little finger is naturally already there though.

I use ctrl an shift but not alt. I have to basically put my thumb under the edge of my hand to use alt and that just feels awkward.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    I have many binds on control but I have tried many times using alt and shift but just for the life of me can't get used to it yet it's so normal to other players. I can press control quite comfortably with my pinky but when I try alt or tab I screw up a lot.

Any tips on how to get rolling on these? It will help me a lot to use these as I still click some abilities.
    You can press CTRL quite comfortably but not SHIFT? It's vice versa for me. Don't even get me started on ALT. CAPS LOCK would actually be a pretty convenient bind key.

I've always had enough binds for everything using CTRL and SHIFT binds. All I can say is, try to bind as much on easy keys and practise the rest. It's like learning to type; after a lot of practise, you can finally type blind or in this case, effectively use those keybinds.
    Statix will suffice.

Deleted
    I have mapped alt to a mouse button, so that I never have to press two keys at the same time with my keyboard hand (except space to switch target but that's ok). It makes things much easier and less error prone.
    I do also use shift and ctrl but it's for less frequent things that I don't need in the heat of combat.

The reason I chose to move alt on the mouse is that it's the least accessible modifier on the keyboard anyway.

Deleted
    i find shift/ctrl easy, its my alt button which is difficult because i have to use my thumb, and that's only good for space bar spam

15+ Year Old Account
    Shift = pinky
    Alt = thumb
    Might as well use your pinky for Ctrl too.