I figure we will see a big push after new years and then its done because both sides are too damn stupid to get it done.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would travel to Alberta for this no doubt.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...e_nhl_lockout/
    Last edited by Garbles; 2012-12-21 at 06:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    I would travel to Alberta for this no doubt.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...e_nhl_lockout/
    that's such a beautiful place.

10+ Year Old Account
    The league will start once Bettman and Daly are gone. Should only be a matter of time now...I mean 3 lockouts with Bettman as commissioner

10+ Year Old Account
    Were all still alive, I think we know who to thank...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikehuntz View Post
    The league will start once Bettman and Daly are gone. Should only be a matter of time now...I mean 3 lockouts with Bettman as commissioner
    Why would the owners fire Bettman? They are the ones who are locking the players out, not Bettman. He is just their mouthpiece.

---------- Post added 2012-12-21 at 08:20 PM ----------

So much for the NHL's constant claims that the NHLPA is divided. They took their disclaimer vote today. 706 in favor. 22 against. Doesn't seem like a house divided against itself at all in my opinion. No indication if or when they NHLPA will actually file the disclaimer, but if they do expect the season to basically be cancelled definitively right then.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The players and owners are literally somewhere between $190 and 300 million apart. That minor amount is keeping a deal from being done. They are also off on contract lengths and the overall length of the new CBA. Owners want a 10 year with an 8 year opt out. Players want a 5 year so they can opt on right before the NHL's 100th season forcing the league to actually not try to take billions from them again and risk killing the leagues biggest marketing opportunity in years. Last I heard they haven't even began to discuss non-contractual stuff like international play which the NHL wants to ban the players from participating in. No discussions scheduled. Mediation has failed twice. Drop dead date in roughly three weeks.
    And barring players from international play will be what kills the league in negotiations again. They aren't doing themselves any favors by putting all these absurd restrictions on the players. The league's best players would walk away from the owners if they try and ban them from playing in the Olympics. You seriously can't tell the best guys in the world that they can't represent their own countries on the world stage once every 4 years.

Why would the owners fire Bettman? They are the ones who are locking the players out, not Bettman. He is just their mouthpiece.

So much for the NHL's constant claims that the NHLPA is divided. They took their disclaimer vote today. 706 in favor. 22 against. Doesn't seem like a house divided against itself at all in my opinion. No indication if or when they NHLPA will actually file the disclaimer, but if they do expect the season to basically be cancelled definitively right then.

My guess would be after the new year. I figure most of the players want to at least give the owners one last chance at getting a deal done, and they also probably don't want to risk being seen as the bad guys because everyone knows the season is automatically over as soon as they file it. I would be fairly surprised if they didn't wait for Betteman to officially cancel the season before they do it. Once that happens they will immediately file it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Bettman also happens to be the league manager, he controls the franchises and their fate, if there are a group of owners who believe that getting rid of Bettman is in the best interest of the game and from a financial standpoint it really is, they will get rid of him. Right now Bettman is the only one standing between league success and ultimate failure. And right now he hold the league in the car hanging off the cliff to financial ruin.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Boone Jenner probably already suspended from World Jr's, pre tournament game vs Sweden, way late hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9FtTcl7G5k

Oh well, if we lose it won't be because of that, likely because of goal tending again.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    At least he could be replaced by someone better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Boone Jenner probably already suspended from World Jr's, pre tournament game vs Sweden, way late hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9FtTcl7G5k

Oh well, if we lose it won't be because of that, likely because of goal tending again.
    That hit is so unnecessary! His shoulder got dislocated and he broke 2-3 ribs and missing the whole tournament. I have never understood doing stuf like that. Specially in a "friendly" game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever played hockey before? At least here in Canada going through the system you're always taught to go for a hit when you can, it's pretty much wired in. Game is also extremely fast, hits like that happen all the time. Not trying to completely defend Jenner because it was really late but if you've never played hockey, specifically in North America then you probably won't ever understand when late hits like that happen.

Any time you have the human brain involved there are going to be mistakes made. Humans aren't perfect, especially on a sheet of ice with 9 other people, or on a football field with 10 other people. At the speeds these guys play at these days, things are done as much by reaction and training as it is done by logic. They don't have the luxury of stopping and looking at a replay to see if its going to be late before they make the play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Have you ever played hockey before? At least here in Canada going through the system you're always taught to go for a hit when you can, it's pretty much wired in. Game is also extremely fast, hits like that happen all the time. Not trying to completely defend Jenner because it was really late but if you've never played hockey, specifically in North America then you probably won't ever understand when late hits like that happen.
    I played hockey for 10 years. I have made my fair amount of bad decisions but I have never went for a hit when the player is out of play. Also I have never tried to hurt anyone on purpose. After your game against Slovakia today I have lost every last bit of respect for the Canadian hockey team. If that would have been Sweden I would be ashamed. Canada deserve a disqualification from this tournament.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently the league has pitched a new CBA offer to the players upping the ante on contract length to 6 years (7 for extensions) and boosted the variance from 5 to 10% (which means players can only take 10% less each season and still prevents front loading), includes a compliance buyout for one player per team which does not count against the cap but effects the player's share of the "Make Whole" provisions. The length of the agreement would be 10 years with a mutual opt-out clause after eight years while the league maintains their desire to change the start of the free agency period from July 1 to July 10. They also want to keep the salary cap at 60 million for 2013-2014, which I think in retrospect, makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    I played hockey for 10 years. I have made my fair amount of bad decisions but I have never went for a hit when the player is out of play. Also I have never tried to hurt anyone on purpose. After your game against Slovakia today I have lost every last bit of respect for the Canadian hockey team. If that would have been Sweden I would be ashamed. Canada deserve a disqualification from this tournament.
    Meh, Canada gets away with it for being Canada. They bring players whose sole purpose is to hurt the other guys' good players. This is hardly new, it's just the whole Hockey world pandering to Canada. :P

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    @ the Slovakia game, I didn't like the call on the 2nd misconduct. That was a clean hit, it wasn't late and it wasn't dirty. The only reason he got the misconduct was because the guy got taken off on a stretcher. And how are you just losing respect for Canadian hockey right now? It's literally been played like this for years now, only the names have changed lol. It happens every year too, a player or two get suspended early in the tournament for a really physical hit that 9/10 times in North America woulden't be that severely penalized. Maybe a charging call? It's just a different brand of hockey, the Americans are just as physical. These kids are aspiring to play in the NHL (lol maybe) in the next 2 years, where it is expected that huge hits like that happen shift in shift out.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Meh, Canada gets away with it for being Canada. They bring players whose sole purpose is to hurt the other guys' good players. This is hardly new, it's just the whole Hockey world pandering to Canada. :P
    Welcome to North American hockey players, we don't play girly no hitting hockey here, and we teach our players how to act when they are on the defensive as well. Here, players are taught to keep their head up when attempting to take the puck out of their own zone, because otherwise you wind up getting steamrolled and concussed because you didn't see the guy who was on the forecheck coming at you trying to take the puck away. That was a stupid officiating call that should never have happened and the Slovakian kid who got hit is a prime example of what has been leading to concussions in the NHL the last several years. It wasn't a blind side hit, nor was it dirty at all, that was a clean check and the kid got caught with his head down, which you should never do when trying to clear the zone. Would you rather risk the possibility of a goal being scored against you or would you rather have your career ended because you are an idiot? They must not teach these simple principles in Europe, because it's been known for years that players were getting hurt because they had their heads down and couldn't react to the incoming hit because they couldn't see the other player coming.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also I'm watching this Slovakia/Canada game once again to see if I can understand why exactly you dislike the Canadian team and I just don't see it. Are you ignorant to the knee on knee early in period 1? Or the head shot on Shiefflei (i cant even attempt to spell that name) when he didn't even have the puck? You act as if no one else does stuff like Canada. Did you watch the Russia game where someone got ejected for a crosscheck to the head? They're kids, they do shit like that. They hit hard and they react certain ways. It's quite ignorant to think that it's just Canada who plays dirty.

"In my eyes, the two hits were dirty," Mikus said. "I didn't see the second one, so I can't comment on it, but there was...blood in the face so not clean. Just dirty. We scored two fast goals. We should have played defence better, but stupid penalties and we paid the fine."

Just shows the European mindset. The blood in his face was from his visor because he had his head down. Lift your head up, you're playing a physical sport kid.