Thread: Build feedback

10+ Year Old Account

Build feedback

Hi there, just completed this build after much research and comparing. Take a look:

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/uHvj

Trying to stay around the $1500 mark. Are they any changes I should/could make?

Question: Are extreme definition monitors worth the extra couple hundred dollars? If so what changes would I need to make to accommodate it, if any?

Thank you for any feedback

- Soundcard is useless unless you know you'll need it (have $200+ headphones for example)
    - Considering you picked really expensive graphics card, skimping on PSU and CPU heatsink is weird
    - FullHD 1920x1080 27" monitor is too big for normal desktop for most people, higher quality 24" would work better.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    made a few changes:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ NCIX)
    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($31.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.02 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($105.28 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.82 @ DirectCanada)
    Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($129.99 @ NCIX)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($96.99 @ Computer Valley)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($51.30 @ DirectCanada)
    Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M90 Wired Laser Mouse ($24.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Total: $1390.21
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-28 18:50 EST-0500)

Changed the SSD (Samsung 830 would be fine too but didn't see any available)

Low profile RAM, to make sure they fit with any CPU heat sink you're adding.

Changed the CPU heat sink, decent quality, fairly low noise and not too expensive.

Changed the PSU, 550VX is quite old. Antec HCG-M is Seasonic OEM and modular.

Removed the sound card, you don't need one unless you have higher end headphones/speakers. On-board sound will be fine.

I wouldn't really recommend going 27" for a 1080p monitor so I changed that as well but ultimately the choice is your of course.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 01:10 AM ----------

You could also try a combination of 7950 (still quite powerful for 1080p) and a LG IPS monitor (it's "only" 8bit but considering the price I'd say it's still good).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ NCIX)
    Monitor: LG IPS231P-BN 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $439.98
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-28 19:08 EST-0500)

Dell Ultrasharp is definitely better but also comes at a higher premium =p

Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($319.99 @ Computer Valley)
    Total: $319.99
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-28 19:12 EST-0500)
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-12-29 at 12:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    - Soundcard is useless unless you know you'll need it (have $200+ headphones for example)
    - Considering you picked really expensive graphics card, skimping on PSU and CPU heatsink is weird
    - FullHD 1920x1080 27" monitor is too big for normal desktop for most people, higher quality 24" would work better.
    Thank you, I will review this, and make some adjustments. What brand of PSU/CPU cooler would you recommend?

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 01:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    **SNIP**
    Wow, that's a lot of good information. Thank you very much!

About my question about a 1560 x 1440 monitor, do you think they are worth it? Or is the different between that and 1080p negligible? If it is worth it would any changes need to be made to the build you corrected?

Oh and about the sound card, if I were to buy a good quality head set would the sound card be worth it?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by deathtakes; 2012-12-29 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deathtakes View Post
    About my question about a 2560 x 1440 monitor, do you think they are worth it? Or is the different between that and 1080p negligible? If it is worth it would any changes need to be made to the build you corrected?
    It'll make a big difference, especially on desktop use when trying to open many programs at the same time or with photo/video editing. You can get some of the same benefits just from having two smaller monitors though. Really up to you, but if you go that way, it would be recommended to get that Radeon 7970 back in for gaming use as the higher resolution requires more raw power from graphics card.

Quote Originally Posted by deathtakes View Post
    Oh and about the sound card, if I were to buy a good quality head set would the sound card be worth it?
    With something like Steelseries Siberia v2 or any Razer toys not really, with Sennheiser PC350/360 yes.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    It'll make a big difference, especially on desktop use when trying to open many programs at the same time or with photo/video editing. You can get some of the same benefits just from having two smaller monitors though. Really up to you, but if you go that way, it would be recommended to get that Radeon 7970 back in for gaming use as the higher resolution requires more raw power from graphics card.

With something like Steelseries Siberia v2 or any Razer toys not really, with Sennheiser PC350/360 yes.
    After doing a bit of research on monitors it's become apparent that a 2560 x 1440 is out of my price range, but I was enlightened to the 1920 x 1200 and I could probably squeeze one of those into the budget. But then I thought about have dual 1080 monitors and I like the idea of that as well.

I saw saw bench marks for the higher res monitors vs. the 1080 and you're absolutely right, performance drops off quite sharply the higher you go, but having two monitors I'm sure would have it's own effect.

So I guess my next question is, what would be more taxing on performance, a single 1920 x 1200 monitor or two 1920 x 1080 monitors, and would either be worth worrying about?