Page 1 of 3
LastLast

BM Tanking Currently?

How is Brewmaster Tanking right now? My friend says BM suck compared to all other Tanks. Granted he only plays WW and only PvPs. I am about to level a BM Monk with a buddy via RaF and now I hear this....

I would say it's tricky to work out, but played well is on par at least. (It's also good fun)
    Last edited by Alucin; 2012-12-29 at 08:35 AM.

dunno about heroic progression but i thinks its really good on normal content and such. our lacks are armor and a antistun button, which is going to be fixed in 5.2. anyways i enjoy playing it, not a easy one but a rewarded and fun spec to play

Deleted
    They suck.

Deleted
    imo bm tanking is fun. it's my first tanking char, but still, it's fun.

Don't listen to your friend in the matter he has only heard of. My main is a brewmaster which replaced my prot paladin (tanked with which since tbc).

At the beginning it felt a bit supbar in comparison to other tanks. However know that I'm more geared (492 av. ilvl) I don't feel being 'worse'. I could even say that thanks to the mechanic that let us cut our dmg taken by half (stagger, shuffle) it's in many situations easier to heal me then other (dk, warrior) tanks.

I believe that brewmaster requires more 'skills'. You have more buttons to click and there is no 'wait time' when you do nothing. Basically monk tank is the essence of 'active mitigation tanking'.

The only flaw we have is lack of anti-stun mechanic which in combo with low armor is quite deadly in challenge modes. Aside from that I don't see any issues.

Deleted
    BrM is just as good as the other tanks on most fights and even the best on some imo (high dps helping on dps races and Guard from your statue almost being op).

My monk currently has an ilvl of 480 and I have to say its the funnest class I've ever played and I love everything about it besides rarely being chi starved at heavy stagger but it gets worked out...at first at 90 its rough til you get gear after that your good

10+ Year Old Account
    Being a tank that isnt balanced around armor allows you to get away with certain mechanics which would hinder normal high armor tanks

eg:
    Will of emperor, its not so disastrous if you get hit by devastating combo (altho you try NOT to get hit by it), apart from Stomp which will hurt BrM more than other tanks

certain bleed effects which arent negated by armor can be staggered since they're physical damage

any future armor shredding debuff mechanic will heavily favour BrM tanks due to our lack of armor (altho it will start to hurt a lot if these shredding debuffs stack up)

roll and transcendence are invaluable in boss positioning (Garalon, Tsulong big sha guys), getting out of void zones (Amber Shaper, Tsulong) and generally just moving towards, or away from, a boss (tornado guy)
    Last edited by Jawless Jones; 2012-12-29 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    BrM tanking is fun, and on par with other tanking specs. The DPS potential is simply awesome, and the mechanics really make it a blast to tank with. After tanking with my BrM, I just couldn't go back to tanking on my Warrior and Paladin. They were just too boring IMO.

15+ Year Old Account
    its hard for me to enjoy tanking on anything else now, most fun I've had playing in a long time.

a well played, and smart BM tank will preform as well as any other tank and like most have said the potential for dps is ridiculous.

Deleted
    BrM is often undervalued because people aren't aware of their mechanics when comparing them to tank specs that have been around for years. Their damage taken will feel 'different' than other tanks, in much the same way that a bear and blood dk feel different.
    I'd put all tank specs on a fairly even level each spec having different strengths and weaknesses and all being 'viable' options for current content. I can't think of any fights this tier that a BrM would feel exceptionally weak (like say... blood DKs on garajal).

5.2 looks as though it will bring some nice QoL changes to brewmasters as well as fixing some of the kinks (stuns)

I quite enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparrow View Post
    a BrM would feel exceptionally weak (like say... blood DKs on garajal)
    I'm a bit confused here. Why would a spec that can continuously hit Garajal putting up a shield big enough to not take any damage from his swipes then procede to cleave and multidot at the same time be weak on that fight?
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Actually, our DK takes more damage on Gara'jal than I do. From what he says, his shield doesn't get consumed by his Swipes. Our healers even say that it's harder to heal the voodoo targets when he's tanking vs when I am.

Quote Originally Posted by promdate View Post
    Actually, our DK takes more damage on Gara'jal than I do. From what he says, his shield doesn't get consumed by his Swipes. Our healers even say that it's harder to heal the voodoo targets when he's tanking vs when I am.
    Guess who confused Gara'jal with Garalon? (In my defense, I was just in an annoying LFR with that one.)
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    His swipes under shadowed strikes is shadow damage and thus not mitigated from blood shield. He should be rotating his cooldowns to mitigate magic damage instead.
    Cooldowns working on Gara'jal are Bone Shield 12 sec minimum uptime, IBF 4 sec on 90 sec cd or 12 sec on 180 sec cd.

Monk tank is fun and great. I started lvl my own monk tank, now 40 lvl. Tanking low lvl dungeons is funny. My friend tanking raids as monk and it isn't hard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Guess who confused Gara'jal with Garalon? (In my defense, I was just in an annoying LFR with that one.)
    LOL. I was kinda curious how Gara'jal benefits classes that can cleave and multi-dot :P

Quote Originally Posted by promdate View Post
    LOL. I was kinda curious how Gara'jal benefits classes that can cleave and multi-dot :P
    Brewmasters, in heroic raids, take ridiculous spike damage and have lots of trouble handling high tank damage. They rely almost completely on healers, but on the other side they bring high dps (actually most tanks played well bring pretty good dps) and random raid protection (guard). That being said, they lack good CD's and have no raid CD's like other tanks bring (avert harm is no where near as good as demo banner). Our guild used a BrM for progression, but it's been significantly easier to heal him on his lesser geared paladin than his BrM. Also, paladins make H sha a joke, whereas BrM often just get one-shot lolol.

Gara'jal, monks are good (warriors are best). But that's old content at this point, for my guild anyway. Warrior > monk > paladin > dk for gara'jal. Most other fights DK's are the best for tanking high damage...except when it gets to burst damage paladins are the best (shield of the righteous).

Anyway, BrM can tank anything, and you won't technically be holding your raid back as a BrM, there are some fights where BrM are good and some where others are good. But warriors are pretty imba atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree w/ most on here that say that a lot of people don't know how to play BrMs. I've been in groups with terrible Monk tanks even at high levels. Heck, it took me awhile before I realized that shuffle stacked. That revelation turned my entire tanking game around.