Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sparks Are Flying From my Power Supply!!!!!

I just opend up my computer and moved my memmory around to try and get my computer to get duel channel because it wasnt working in current slots it was only getting single channel. Aaaanyways,

i figured why not install my new extra case fan i picked up the other day while im at it. So i did that and i was looking around where to plug it in, CPU fan1 and CPU fan 2 jacks or w.e were being used in the MOBO and the extra case fan i was installing has 4 prongs and pwr jack that is in-between the two was unused but had 3 prongs so it cant go there.

Soo the only thing i saw that it could plug into was the extra plug that comes off my CPU cooler (its a v6 CM) if you want to look at picture of it, so i plugged the extra case fan into the CPU cooler plug and i went and plugged in power supply and flipped the switch and pushed the power button and Sparks flew out of the power supply just a short burst of them but it was visible. It didnt boot at all while this was happening no LEDS no response just sparks. And it wouldnt turn on after that. Anyway i unplugged the extra case fan from the CPU fan plug thats connected to the CPU fan and it booted fine. what the hell did i just do?

...On a positive note for those of you who have been following my threads on here know ive had problems with my memory and CPU not reading A1 or A2, But i was able to slide in one memory stick into A1 and let me tell you that was a tight fit, like the CPU cooler is sitting ontop of the memory tight, idk how i get it in without taking out the cpu fan but i did somehow. But anyway i just moved the other memory from B2 to B1 and my cpu is reading them in A1 and B1 as duel channel now.
    Last edited by zhodor; 2012-12-29 at 05:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly? I think you need to RMA the PSU and Motherboard, man. I know you have latency problems, but it feels like there are... bigger fish to fry right now, with RAM slots that dont work, and brimstone shooting out the back.

I've seen sparks/fire come out of power supplies, and it definitely means the thing is a goner sooner or later. Usually sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Honestly? I think you need to RMA the PSU and Motherboard, man. I know you have latency problems, but it feels like there are... bigger fish to fry right now, with RAM slots that dont work, and brimstone shooting out the back.

I've seen sparks/fire come out of power supplies, and it definitely means the thing is a goner sooner or later. Usually sooner.
    I did get the CPU to start reading the memory in A1 and B1 as duel channel its the only combination that works but as long as it works its fine with me i dont plan on going 4/4 slots anyway, Buttt I think the sparks was my fault? wasnt it just me being dumb and pluging the extra case fan into the CPU fan when it obviously shouldnt be since it made the thing shoot sparks?

10+ Year Old Account
    From a technician's perspective, the moment sparks shoot out of anything, I would consider that part permanently compromised. In my opinion anyway. It might not have been something you did specifically, but... Something is wrong. Something to make ram slots short, and sparks to fly. Even if it works now... The system is in a state of unknown status.

Quote Originally Posted by zhodor View Post
    It didnt boot at all while this was happening no LEDS no response just sparks. And it wouldnt turn on after that. Anyway i unplugged the extra case fan from the CPU fan plug thats connected to the CPU fan and it booted fine. what the hell did i just do?
    Sounds like you overloaded a low quality PSU.

For science, whats your PSU brand and model?

From a technician's perspective, the moment sparks shoot out of anything, I would consider that part permanently compromised. In my opinion anyway. It might not have been something you did specifically, but... Something is wrong. Something to make ram slots short, and sparks to fly. Even if it works now... The system is in a state of unknown status.
    what i might do is keep everything just the way it is keep all the parts for a week or two and then decide if im going to RMA, I most likely will end up doing it. If that is they even will let me due to the fact ive already OC, and had sparks flying out of the PSU.

But if i wanted to plug my extra case fan in that ive mounted on the top of my case where would i plug this into? Keep in mind i already have CPU Fan 1 + CPU Fan 2 In use --- The only other spot i see that has 4 prongs is at the bottom where the SATA ports are and to the left of the LED Plug ins and power and reset button.

Here is a picture of the z77 extreme4

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/p.../xl/148551.jpg

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 12:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Sounds like you overloaded a low quality PSU.

For science, whats your PSU brand and model?
    First thought that came to my mind aswell. Its a corsair|CMPSU-650TX 650W RT

First thought that came to my mind aswell. Its a corsair|CMPSU-650TX 650W RT
    Yeah I'd RMA. Its not really possible to overload a working Corsair 650W with a single graphics card. I'm pretty sure sparks aren't suppose to happen during a failure either.

Did you get V1 or V2 o the TX-650?

Yeah I'd RMA. Its not really possible to overload a working Corsair 650W with a single graphics card. I'm pretty sure sparks aren't suppose to happen during a failure either.

Did you get V1 or V2 o the TX-650?
    I dont know the difference between v1 and v2

Seems to me you plugged something in a place it isn't meant to be. I did that once years ago, I connected an IDE lead from the mobo to the sound card (I thought I was supposed to since it had an IDE socket) and the whole cable started glowing red and billowing out smoke...

Lesson to learn - just because you can connect something, doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Seems to me you plugged something in a place it isn't meant to be. I did that once years ago, I connected an IDE lead from the mobo to the sound card (I thought I was supposed to since it had an IDE socket) and the whole cable started glowing red and billowing out smoke...

Lesson to learn - just because you can connect something, doesn't mean you should.
    So what happend? Did you keep all your parts the PSU and everything is still working fine or did you reaplce something?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is very interesting... the TX line is known for being pretty damn good. O_o

Definitely RMA it, you should have very few problems.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I dont know the difference between v1 and v2
    Version 1 of the TX-650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005

Version 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020

When you said you plugged in your fan to the 'extra slot?' in the V6 heatsink can you show us how where?
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-12-29 at 06:48 AM.

Version 1 of the TX-650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005

Version 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020

When you said you plugged in your fan to the 'extra slot?' in the V6 heatsink can you show us how you did it? (eg. with a phone pic)
    I have version 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020

Idk how to upload pictures on here ive tried before. but if u go to that link. and view that picture or look at 360 view you can see that there are two sets of wires one set that has a red and black wire and a white plug at the end thats kind of bulky and another set that has green and yellow wires that is in a grey/black sheathing that has a brown plug at the end much smaller than white one.

I plugged the Extra case fan into the brown plug that has the green and yellow wires with the black/grey sheathing. It fit perfect. like it was made to connect to it but i guess not?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103089

Something i just rememberd that i forgot to mention that idk if its important or not but when the sparks flew out i smelled a kind of not really burning but just a nasty smell, So idk just thought id mention it
    Last edited by zhodor; 2012-12-29 at 07:07 AM.

If you power supply was sparking, it usually means you need a new power supply.

I don't think you have any idea what he is saying.

Low profile ram is best used w/ larger Air coolers. A1 B1 and A2 B2 would be how you get dual channel active, not A1 A2 or B1 B2 or A1 B2 etc.

As for the psu, I highly suggest not turning on the PC until that thing is replaced. As for the heatsink, I see a molex plug which likely would fit your fan but I don't believe it is a run through but rather a different option for power.

So what happend? Did you keep all your parts the PSU and everything is still working fine or did you reaplce something?
    Had to replace the cable obviously since it was burnt to a crisp, but the system was fine after I wired it up properly.

What you could try doing is disconnect one of your old fans and plug your new fan into that socket to see if you still have problems. But be ready to cut the power if you see sparks again.

Had to replace the cable obviously since it was burnt to a crisp, but the system was fine after I wired it up properly.

What you could try doing is disconnect one of your old fans and plug your new fan into that socket to see if you still have problems. But be ready to cut the power if you see sparks again.

That's exactly what I did, I disconnected the case fan that was plugged into the CPU fan and nothing happend everything worked fine. No problems

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post

Low profile ram is best used w/ larger Air coolers. A1 B1 and A2 B2 would be how you get dual channel active, not A1 A2 or B1 B2 or A1 B2 etc.

As for the psu, I highly suggest not turning on the PC until that thing is replaced. As for the heatsink, I see a molex plug which likely would fit your fan but I don't believe it is a run through but rather a different option for power.
    Im confused who your comment is directed at, he confused with what I said? Or i dont understand what he said?

I did unplug the extra case fan that was plugged into the CPU v6 cm fan, and it worked like nothing happend. I did smell something when it was shooting sparks which is worrying.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 12:03 PM ----------

What just to troubleshoot? Because if i do that and unplug a fan connected to the motherboard its just turning one fan off and the other one i bought on so its not really doing anything beneficial, unless i find a open spot on the motherboard to plug it into
    Last edited by zhodor; 2012-12-29 at 05:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    I understand just fine. I was discussing with him in another thread about how his A2 slot was not working at all. That, paired with the sparking problem, concerned me.

I understand just fine. I was discussing with him in another thread about how his A2 slot was not working at all. That, paired with the sparking problem, concerned me.
    I know what you mean, It concerns me aswell i just dont know if i would want to deal with RMAing it for a few reasons one being i hear of them sometimes not even accepting the product for RMA and you just spend weeks getting your same part shipped back and possibly in worse condition that it was sent in. And i dont plan on using 4/4 RAM slots plus the computer booted and was fine after disconnecting the fan that caused the sparks, Idk : /

But on another note where should that extra case fan actually be plugged into since connecting it with the CPU cooler obviously wasn't good.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 07:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
    If you power supply was sparking, it usually means you need a new power supply.
    Ya in most cases but this is brand new just 1 week old, And I caused the sparks its not like it was caused by a malfunction? I think i just created a short plugging it into the wrong thing, the CPU plug attachment?
    Last edited by zhodor; 2012-12-29 at 11:54 PM.

Deleted
    Did u plug it to the fan connector AND the molex at same time?