[Caution - (older) SSD users] Cold Panic Lock due to hibernate/sleep mode.

Heya!

I would like to caution all people that are currently using (older) SSD's and their ability to screw themselves over.
    Wouldn't know if this is still a problem with newer SSD's / Firmwares but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Problem :
    SSD not seen as a drive anymore after resuming Windows (any version) from Hibernate/Sleep mode.
    Drive will go into a Cold Panic Lock (term by OCZ) due to it, making the drive unuseable (forever).

Cause :
    Hibernate/Sleep mode settings on Windows OS.

POSSIBLE Fix(es) :
    1: Make sure to turn off any hibernate/sleep/etc modes in the BIOS and in the Windows settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    It is a default setting in Windows 7 and 8. To disable it entirely, run cmd as Administrator then type powercfg -h off and hit enter.
    2: Keep your SSD Firmware up-to-date.
    3: Incase of your SSD not being recognized after hibernate/sleep/etc mode, RMA the drive.

I have 2 SSD's (corsaid&ocz) myself, one has been RMA'd a month back to it landing into a cold panic lock.
    Not really knowing what was going on, I reinstalled my Windows onto my second SSD.
    Afin, everything went fine for a couple of weeks, until today.
    With my 2nd SSD breaking down, I have been googling for the cause and possible fixes.
    Sadly enough I'll have to wait until both drives are RMA'd, then to make sure it never happens again.

I hope this thread will caution some people and prevent their drives from breaking down.
    Mifuyne
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2012-12-30 at 03:01 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    How old are we talking? Like pre-Sandforce controller based SSD's? The one I have is a Sandforce based Patriot Pyro 120GB SSD.

15+ Year Old Account
    The better question would be: Why would you use Hibernate with an SSD?

The bootup is just as fast, if not faster if you have more then 4GB of RAM, which any self respecting gaming rig should have.

Hibernate is in essence useless with an SSD unless you have an extremely old rig, and even then it's questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    How old are we talking? Like pre-Sandforce controller based SSD's? The one I have is a Sandforce based Patriot Pyro 120GB SSD.
    I do not know the details, however my Vertex II and Corsair F115 locked 'mselves.
    They are over a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    The better question would be: Why would you use Hibernate with an SSD?
    The bootup is just as fast, if not faster if you have more then 4GB of RAM, which any self respecting gaming rig should have.
    Hibernate is in essence useless with an SSD unless you have an extremely old rig, and even then it's questionable.
    It seems to be a auto setting on my Windows, not sure if it's like that on every new install tho.
    Always liked hibernation, just leave stuff open and don't worry about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    It seems to be a auto setting on my Windows, not sure if it's like that on every new install tho.
    Always liked hibernation, just leave stuff open and don't worry about it.
    It is a default setting in Windows 7 and 8. To disable it entirely, run cmd as Administrator then type powercfg -h off and hit enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any actual testing/backup/information regarding this, or is it just anecdotal? It's entirely possible you just have a poor situation. It may not apply to everyone. Not only that, but OCZ had a rash of bad Sandforce drives for a while.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is auto-enabled on every install.

Much like Windows 7 (i have YET to encounter a single Windows 7 install which which will activate TRIM by itself or disable defrag on an SSD) has to have TRIM enabled for SSDs.

Here's what you do to disable hibernate file usage on the SSD for less space, note that you will have to do this each time you press hibernate on your PC as it will auto-enable.

Start -> CMD -> Run as Adminstrator -> powercfg -h off

Hibernate has never been a good friend of SSDs, much like Sleep mode.
    They more often then not work properly together.

My advice really is to turn it off as it's mostly a useless feature, with an SSD booting it's become a nuisance more like.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2012-12-30 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Is there any actual testing/backup/information regarding this, or is it just anecdotal? It's entirely possible you just have a poor situation. It may not apply to everyone. Not only that, but OCZ had a rash of bad Sandforce drives for a while.
    I base this info purely from the OCZ,Corsair and Intel SSD forums - together with google.
    It seems to happen quite frequently.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    All SandForce equipped drives have, I've had Kingston HyperX drives with exactly the same issues.
    But yes, it's an actual event.

Most SSD manufacturers recommend to disable Hibernate because of it's useless properties with an SSD and the controller doesn't like it much.