Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Teaching my girl to play

So my GF wanted to play WoW, not a bad idea i would guess. She used to play on a private server long ago and enjoyed it there but she wanted to see the real deal. I let her play on my account a bit while I was not using it and she enjoyed herself. I bought her an account and RAF linked her and leveled up with her.

In dungeons i noticed however that her dps was very low. It turned out that the way she taught herself to play is very bad. Namely clicking spells and using arrow keys to move. She is incredibly slow to respond to things and often dies due to this fact. It frustrates her quite a bit because she is convinced she cannot play any other way. Even though I told her and showed her what to change in her way of playing.

Yesterday I decided to try and and remedy it without her knowledge and rebound the left and right arrow keys to instead of turning they now strafe her. It had the effect that she now resorts to using WASD more (which is good!) but also decides to move with her mouse using both mouse buttons. Which sometimes means her camera shoots up like crazy (which is bad!). The other side effect is that she now continuously moans and bitches about her inability to move using the arrow keys. For this reason I am afraid to tell her I changed them on purpose.

I am starting to run out of ideas.. halp?

you changed her shit around instead of suggesting she try out another way?

And unless you both play on raiding hardcore? should her dps really matter (unless it was incredibly low), i mean isn't the main point here that the two of you are both playing together?
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

I would say let her play the way she feel the most comfortable unless you want to ring her to raid with you. I think eventaully she will learn herself that's it's not effective.

tbh i doubt its really her steering of her character that is causing low dps, i would take a look more at how she executes her rotation and what it is and thats IF she knows a rotation or just hitting spells... my wife started playing a while back and i cant for the life of me get her to quit using the arrows as well and she SUCKS at targeting (another biggie to look at is how she is targetting mobs and how fast she is at it.) but after i macroed her spells to always auto target my target and taught her an easy rotation her dps stays in line with everyone else and no one ever notices that she is a new player.

10+ Year Old Account
    I move with the mouse, ASD are all bound to other things... Idk she is just going to have to practice with it like most of us did.

Pretty much what the others have said, when I played in BC I clicked all my stuff and used the arrow keys not WASD and did top dps in raids. try to have her understand her class more and what to do in certain situations.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I don't like about guys spending their time on video games. Merely as a tip. I often consider this scenario. What would my GF look more attracted to? Me a boyfriend that spends the night or the weekend playing video games? Or me playing guitar singing?

Tip being - Spend less time on video games, try something new for a difference. I have this friend in a pretty much same scenario. He has this GF, he's spending his time one video games and they've been together for almost two years. Of coures she admitted, I'd rather have a boyfriend that could play the guitar or/and sing for me than playing video games.

Not going to be rude, but just move away from gaming. Even if she's the one taking the move towards the video games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkryx View Post
    tbh i doubt its really her steering of her character that is causing low dps, i would take a look more at how she executes her rotation and what it is and thats IF she knows a rotation or just hitting spells... my wife started playing a while back and i cant for the life of me get her to quit using the arrows as well and she SUCKS at targeting (another biggie to look at is how she is targetting mobs and how fast she is at it.) but after i macroed her spells to always auto target my target and taught her an easy rotation her dps stays in line with everyone else and no one ever notices that she is a new player.
    The steering is not so much the issue. Her clicking of spells is. I am trying to get her to use keybinds that make it obvious to play more intuitive rather than active and keeping the mouse solely for camera and targeting for the most part. In other words, i am trying to get her to make note of her surroundings instead of her actionbar because that is where her eyes are focussed.

As for her DPS, she is 87 now and struggles to do more than 15-20k in dungeons most of the time. I can easily out DPS her on my holydin .. ;/

She's slow to react and respond because she's new to the game, not because she uses keyboard moves and clicks. Seat time is important when learning *anything* new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just let her play how she feels. If she is new she will get better in time. Everyone was noob once before. BTW 90% of wow would still click its not as bad as you might think. Sure if you want to hardcore raid its worth keybinding. If she does want to learn to keybind start it one or two spells at a time and let her set it up to the way she likes it. Wow is about fun not being the best. As long as she is having fun then there isn't a problem. (I Keybind)
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    One thing I don't like about guys spending their time on video games. Merely as a tip. I often consider this scenario. What would my GF look more attracted to? Me a boyfriend that spends the night or the weekend playing video games? Or me playing guitar singing?

Tip being - Spend less time on video games, try something new for a difference. I have this friend in a pretty much same scenario. He has this GF, he's spending his time one video games and they've been together for almost two years. Of coures she admitted, I'd rather have a boyfriend that could play the guitar or/and sing for me than playing video games.

Not going to be rude, but just move away from gaming. Even if she's the one taking the move towards the video games.
    There's nothing wrong doing what you love. If you try not to be yourself just because people don't like it then that's not cool imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    The steering is not so much the issue. Her clicking of spells is. I am trying to get her to use keybinds that make it obvious to play more intuitive rather than active and keeping the mouse solely for camera and targeting for the most part. In other words, i am trying to get her to make note of her surroundings instead of her actionbar because that is where her eyes are focussed.

As for her DPS, she is 87 now and struggles to do more than 15-20k in dungeons most of the time. I can easily out DPS her on my holydin .. ;/
    Hey I've seen people do worse than that in LFR.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Never try to be something that you are not, or conform to what other peoples image of what you should be.
    OT: my GF just started playing as well(sometimes girls play video games) to show her some basic functions we just dueled that way she can learn targeting and why a good play configuration is needed. also it let her try different ways of playing with no pressure, takes time.

10+ Year Old Account

Nobody is asking for your "life advice" here. Despite your final comment, your post does come off as pretty rude by insinuating gamers are, by default, less attractive than non-gamers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aveyai View Post
    Hey I've seen people do worse than that in LFR.
    Agreed, it's shocking.

You're expecting more from her than you should be, she's still new to the game. Years ago doesn't count because much has changed since then, even more so when it's a private server and things aren't exactly like live servers, so let her continue to play comfortably and add in small bits of information when watching her play on the computer screen. She might be using the wrong rotation and priorities, also it wouldn't hurt to direct her to a class guide so she can pick up bits of information she may not know of but it's important not to overburden her with information that will confuse the hell out of her.

In time when she raids, she will realize clicking is not viable when wanting the best dps possible. It took me 7 years to finally get to keybinds.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2012-12-30 at 06:20 AM.

It should just be about you and her having fun not achieving max dps or shit like that.

If I were new to the game and my boyfriend started changing buttons around on me, like A and D to strafe, I'd be very frustrated, especially if you didn't tell me. I'm trying to learn one way, and you go and change it to another way? Let me do it. I obviously can't speak for your girlfriend, but if my current boyfriend were to be teaching me as a new player, I'd ask him to let me figure it out. If I couldn't then I'd ask for specific help. As in, "Is there a better way to move? It's hard for me to dps and move at the same time..." etc. Just let her do her thing. Until she gets into regular raids, I don't think she'll be harming anyone by doing it her own way. LFR is easy, and she can learn in there too. Not everyone likes to be top dps, believe it or not. Some people just enjoy the idea of hitting big baddies with a frosty bolt, or a huge sword. I wish I could play WoW this way. It's become way too competitive and not relaxing =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    judging 25man raiding by LFR standards saying it requires no coordination, is like saying 5mans require cheese sandwiches because i like turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Agreed, it's shocking.

You're expecting more from her than you should be, she's still new to the game. Years ago doesn't count because much has changed since then, even more so when it's a private server and things aren't exactly like live servers, so let her continue to play comfortably and add in small bits of information when watching her play on the computer screen. She might be using the wrong rotation and priorities, also it wouldn't hurt to direct her to a class guide so she can pick up bits of information she may not know of but it's important not to overburden her with information that will confuse the hell out of her.

In time when she raids, she will realize clicking is not viable when wanting the best dps possible. It took me 7 years to finally get to keybinds.
    Pretty much this. Let her play and get used to the game since she is still pretty new to it and just give her tips one at a time. First try to focus on getting her used to moving with her mouse instead of arrow keys then move on to keybindings. After you get the basics down get to work on that rotation, then take her to 5 man dungeons and let her get used to testing out her rotation on bosses. Just take it slowly, I had to teach my friend how to play and he didn't respond well when I bombarded him with information on rogues.

If a bf had had behaved as you did when I was young and had them - hmmm. I would have thought what a patronising git, kicked him where it would hurt him for a few days and found someone who did not want to spend his life staring into a computer monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like all have said, let her get used to the game at her own pace. Help her understanding her class more, she will eventually get the hang of it and plateau; it's then where she most likely of her own volition will want to streamline her movement keys/rotation.

That's how it went for me, clicker then key bindings and then modifiers, but all at my own pace and when I felt I could be doing better.

Oh, and revert her movement keys asap and hope she doesn't ask many questions about it, just tell her that she can still strife with Q and E if she wants too.