Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post

As for her DPS, she is 87 now and struggles to do more than 15-20k in dungeons most of the time. I can easily out DPS her on my holydin .. ;/
    That's not that bad. Keybinds are where you start, in all honesty you should have been teaching her to manage combat with 1-5 from the very beginning though. Breaking bad habits like keyboard movement + mouse action is very, VERY difficult.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Deleted
    You can't really 'teach' somebody how to play WoW, at least not that effectively. Just let her learn on her own. That way she'll find a method of play that's most comfortable for her rather than having to learn somebody else's way. I used arrow keys when I first started, too, and eventually realised what I had to do to improve. Some time and practice and she'll be fine. I doubt many people begin the game from scratch (p server doesn't really count, arguably) and do everything how most other people do it and magnificent DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make her level a new toon without the RAF boost. It will take more time and she will learn at a far more useful pace. You skipped her over a part of the game that is "meh" for long time players but "ooh!" for new players. RAF should only be used with people who already are experienced gamers, even then it still makes them miss a bunch of the fun stuff that is pointless to you later on. If you try and get a noob into high level play right away it will most likely end badly, it already appears to be going quite unhappily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Like others have said, let her find her own way. When she's comfortable with how the game works she will start to see her own mistakes more and more, and that's the way she'll learn. You can't tell her that her movement keys are wrong or that it's wrong to click unless she fully understands why. Heck, I clicked for 2 years when I first started and it took another year or so before I bound strafe to A and D. Be prepared it's going to take her awhile to fully understand and learn.

Look, this is her problem. She's complaining that she's not playing properly yet refusing to put in any effort whatsoever, even with a nice guy like you to show her the ways.

I think nothing you do will change, just make it clear to her next time she complains: look, THIS is the problem. you can change it to THAT, or else you suck it up and quit whining. I think at this point a very clear message like that is all that can help her.

Bind "noob turn", as I call it, to Q and E, and strafe to A and D. It will help her make the transision easier, but you have to explain this to her. Moreover though, you don't remedy clicking like this; she cannot turn with her mouse if she's using her mouse to click spells. Have her use her more common spells (for example, sinister strike and eviscerate) on 2 or 3 keys, like 1 2 3, and click the rest, and have her add more keybound spells as she goes like this and will see for herself how she will be dying less.

When introducing wow to someone it's okay for them to play like noobs. Turn off he recount and any redundant addons.. heck even the RAF might be a bad thing in the start. Even though I don't know how long she played on private I still don't think you should expect her to top the meters or get 2k rated once she hit 90

Deleted
    You shouldn't judge a new player on how much dps he/she can dish out. Let her learn the game at her own pace instead of forcing her to learn at your pace. Just enjoy the fact that you have a GF that likes to play WoW with you

Just let her play. If she plans on going Hardcore then fine, intervene but leave her alone. Let her just have some fun ...

Deleted
    What nonsense that her dps is low because of how she moves and clicks. I'm a clicker, always have been. I move with the arrow keys and click spells with my mouse. Still top dps... It only really matters in PvP, not in PvE. The only time I use a few keybinds is when I heal, but only 1-5. You should check her rotation and practice instead, not force her to play in a way she doesn't want to. That is a sure way to get her to quit WoW again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Nobody is asking for your "life advice" here. Despite your final comment, your post does come off as pretty rude by insinuating gamers are, by default, less attractive than non-gamers.
    Yet he has over 1000 post on a gaming forum. Reality is, if you have to change who you are to be with your partner then you are doing it wrong. If she loves you for what she wants you to be, and not hwhat you actually are, then the relationship will never last.

Deleted
    Playing wow with your girl? That's a nono. For 2 reasons :
    1. You'll spend shitloads of time ( and neurons ) trying to learn her how 2 play properly ( which I assure you will be in vain, cause that needs lots of time and practice )
    2. She most surely will end up not playing the game anymore after a few weeks / months. I guarantee you.
    But hey, atleast you didn't rafed your gf like I did. The most frustrating part is when trying to get her to move and level fast, while all she cares is " oh what a nice beautiful scenery that is" or " omg a cute bunny!!!! "

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    Playing wow with your girl? That's a nono. For 2 reasons :
    1. You'll spend shitloads of time ( and neurons ) trying to learn her how 2 play properly ( which I assure you will be in vain, cause that needs lots of time and practice )
    2. She most surely will end up not playing the game anymore after a few weeks / months. I guarantee you.
    But hey, atleast you didn't rafed your gf like I did. The most frustrating part is when trying to get her to move and level fast, while all she cares is " oh what a nice beautiful scenery that is" or " omg a cute bunny!!!! "
    Damn, yes, heaven forbid she'd actually play to have fun! Can't have none of that, oh no sir.

Deleted
    Yeah, as everyone else has said, I doubt her low DPS has much to do with clicking and using the arrows : plenty of us do either (or both) and manage to play just fine. I've been playing with the arrow keys for 6 years and I'm not stopping any time soon. More often than not, I do more DPS than other people with my gear ilvl, and play a melee class. If you want her to do better DPS, teach her the optimal kitty rotation and priority (just a thought but perhaps kitty isn't the most beginner-friendly spec ? Or has it gotten simpler since MoP ? I don't play it that much), explain gear stats and have her reforge (maybe she has no hit/expertise whatsoever ? Many newb DPSes make this mistake)... and let her learn the game at her own pace. If she hasn't played in a long time, don't expect her to be a pro gamer all of a sudden.

And yeah, unless you're bringing her along for serious 10/25 raids, does her low DPS matter that much anyway ? You can also have fun together by doing quests, scenarios, instances, LFR, casual BGs, leveling alts... As people have pointed out, there are plenty of players doing terrible DPS in LFR, but at the end of the day this doesn't really matter unless you can't beat an enrage timer. The worst impact they're going to have on your gameplay is the few seconds of inattention it's going to give you when you look at the bottom of your DPS chart and silently go "...what... HOW...".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    Damn, yes, heaven forbid she'd actually play to have fun! Can't have none of that, oh no sir.
    I don't see how " dying in fire 100000 times " is "fun", but hey, different strokes for different folks.
    Oh and yea, maybe I was a bit harsh rushing my gf to level fast....Atleast not I got a second wow account at ease.xD

issue is RAFing. let them play at their own pace and explore everything. let them learn themselves, not levelling to 30 in 10 minutes and having content they're not prepared for.
    this game sucks

Deleted
    10 MINUTES? Are you insane....at 10 minute's we'd have to be at least 50

Im in the same boat with my GF.. I got her to play cause she wanted to play with me, we were going to level together, but I wanted her to experience the game and learn, that and I hate alts. I come to help her from time to time, but she chose warlock for her first character, and is having a hard time cause she isn't used to running away. She keeps dying then complaining about it, I keep trying to teach her to play.. but she is a bit slow at learning this kinda game, so its frustrating at times trying to explain things to her.

I love her to death, but im still not liking having to teach everything over again. Not just skills, like terminology, what things mean. I wish she played other games before wow that wasnt on a console :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    I don't see how " dying in fire 100000 times " is "fun", but hey, different strokes for different folks.
    Oh and yea, maybe I was a bit harsh rushing my gf to level fast....Atleast not I got a second wow account at ease.xD
    You didn't say that. You said she admired the scenery and cute rabbits. How is that bad? Did you rush to end level when you started playing? If yes, how boring. It took me 8 months to level to 60, in Classic, and I enjoyed it a lot more then the horrible rush it seems to be today. I loved the wonder, the excitement at seeing the Orgrimmar gates for the first time, the 'owwwww' of seeing sunbeams through the treetops in Outland. All of that is lost after a while, nothing is new and exciting any more It's still fun, but different. Let her have and cherish those moments of wonder, it'll fade soon enough.

And yes, if she doesn't mind dying in the fire 100000 times, than that is fun for her. If she doesn't find that fun, she'll learn to step out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get her a good mouse with a lot of buttons (lika a razer naga or steelseries wow mouse) or/and a gaming keyboard.

I got my gf a razer naga and a this: (http://steelseries.com/products/keyb...s-merc-stealth) and it did help her play much much better.

What I did to teach myself to use keybinds was download an addon that hides the action bar and start a new character. Excellent way to learn how to press keys because you CAN'T click. It was annoying but it's been a few years now and I haven't gone back!