Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

My love/hate with GW2

I got to say GW2 is an interesting game for me. I really enjoy it but at the same time there's some features I really hate!

I love:

The open world feeling
    The character creation
    The fact your level adjusts to zone
    Random events
    The art style
    The removal of competition for nodes/mobs
    The community
    The incentive to help others and group

I hate:

The lack of story
    The lack of alternative activities (it's either quest, pvp or explore)
    Only having 5 character slots (alt-aholihic)
    The fact you can't change your email without having a list of information (including a bloody invoice)
    That Warriors get a long distance rifle whilst Engineers have short range (surely it would make more sense the other way round)
    Shared bank rather than being able to mail alts
    Poor optimization
    That dye isn't account bound
    The profession system
    The Black Lion Trading Company especially! I don't mind some of the payed items BUT extra bank space, character slots and exp boosts seems ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    The Black Lion Trading Company especially! I don't mind some of the payed items BUT extra bank space, character slots and exp boosts seems ridiculous.
    Well, they gotta make money from somwhere, considering the game is fee-free

The lack of story
    Have you done your personal story? How far have you gotten? Cause I've gotten to L71 on my Warrior's story, and all I can say is it's impeccable. Blows other 'story MMOs' (SWtOR, TSW) out of the water. For 'World Lore,' that's mainly from GW1. Yeah, they should have kept more of it prevalent, but if you played GW1, or researched the old lore, it's totally there, and quite amazing......to the point that I'd say it's close to WoW/Warcraft's in how good it is. It should be around more, though, I agree.

You know you can buy more right? And you can convert ingame coin to gems? So.....if you save up enough you can buy the last three you need for free. I did it back at launch when the Coin->Gem conversion rates were way lesser. I actually have 9 slots.....cause for some reason I needed 2 Elementalists....

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    Well, they gotta make money from somwhere, considering the game is fee-free

True, thus 90% of the other items... But some items just scream FEED ME MONEY

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    Have you done your personal story? How far have you gotten?
    Granted my highest character is only lvl 20 BUT thus far the personally story hasn't felt very compelling

True, thus 90% of the other items... But some items just scream FEED ME MONEY

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 04:01 PM ----------

Granted my highest character is only lvl 20 BUT thus far the personally story hasn't felt very compelling
    The XP boost is close to useless since it only gives from killing mobs and not from events, so that is not really a big deal. The extra char slots and stuff was also in GW2, and they don't really cost that much. Oh and you can get EVERYTHING for in-game cash anyway, so you don't have to pay any real money at all. For personal story, it picks up around level 30 or so i think (When you pick your "faction")

10+ Year Old Account
    (in no particular order)

Love

Exploration
    My guild
    Mini Dungeons
    Character customization
    Jump Puzzles
    Phluffie
    Crafting
    Climbing mountains, houses, glaciers, anything!
    Community
    Dragon fights
    Shared nodes
    No open world ganking
    Big Chests!
    Attention to details
    Gold-->Gems
    Shared mob tagging
    Legendary weapon is forever
    Music
    Emotes (wtb more)
    The Murder Pit
    Figuring out long involved dynamic event chains
    Fractals
    Zommy

Hate

Player culling
    Zommy
    Last edited by Karizee; 2012-12-30 at 04:26 PM.
    Valar morghulis

@adam86shadow

You know you can convert ingame gold into gems and buy those bank expansions and character slots

or better yet go win some paid tournaments and you can buy slots with the gems you get from that.

I'll give you my honest opinions on your list .

I got to say GW2 is an interesting game for me. I really enjoy it but at the same time there's some features I really hate!

I love:

The open world feeling
    The character creation
    Random events
    The art style
    The community
    Yep, agree with everything here.
    I hate:

The lack of story
    The fact you can't change your email without having a list of information (including a bloody invoice)
    That Warriors get a long distance rifle whilst Engineers have short range (surely it would make more sense the other way round)
    Poor optimization
    The profession system
    1 - The lack of story. I disagree to some extent. Guild wars lore as a whole is just awesome, I've read the books and I've read alot of it. The story in-game is better than probably most out there (With the exception of Star Wars, but imo the game is not good enough in any other aspect, and should be played as single player). So with that in mind, considering this is a mmo, the story obviously has to be somewhat to everyone, every race unlike single player games that you focus on YOU. My only problem with gw2 story is only: The lack of evil choices (I would love that, I want my necro to be bad!), and maybe later on the fact that a NPC is too important it seems. you will see.

2 - I think there is alot of activities o.0. Jump Puzzle? Events? Personal Story? Hearts? PvP? WvW? Mini games such as Keg Brawl (Located in Hoelbrak). If you think about its a long list, and remember that each month we have an update that usually brings something new. On top of that, crafting and exploring.

3 - Well, you can always buy more spaces. XD I have 8 slots since launch. Couldn't live without it, specially because I can pvp at level 2 without having to go to lvl 80 to start pvping. And since they do not come with monthly fee it's only fair they charge it, and if you think about it you can buy the char slots with in-game gold.

4 - Yep that sucks.

5 - Well, the rifle shots for engineer are 1000 range, and pistols are 900. Which is pretty good range, plus you can trait to make them with longer range.

6 - Yeah, the thing is that mail in this game you get rewards, and you can send mails from anywhere you are and they are all instant. You could just keep sending to yourself for more "inventory space". So I don't mind.

7 - My game runs great but I know that's a problem.

8 - It was account bound during the first beta weekend but they changed. Even tho people complain about it, it's nothing really most dyes are like a few silver. And if it's account bound the random drops wouldn't be as exciting as they are.

9 - Im not sure what you mean about the profession system. But if we are talking about crafting I would say it's one of the best out there, you can have it all, fun discovery panels, gives a decent amount of exp. But I would need more of what you mean about it.

10 - Well, alot of players talk about this one. But if you play long enough you will realize that boosts are obtainable thru the game and are useless for the most part (Karma ones are the only ones really). Bank and char spaces are for the ones who wants it, you can either pay with irl money or just save some in-game gold to get it. None of the items will make you more powerful (at all), and you can buy them with in-game currency. I would say it's pretty good considering that the purchase of those helps support the company.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I'm not going against with everything you said, I'm just trying to explain maybe in a different perspective, so maybe you could hate it less . But to each it's own.

Well as far as the story part, do you mean your character's story or the lore of the game? I greatly enjoy the lore, it's my favorite lore of any original game IP.

Character's story, yeah that's definitely hit and miss. I actually enjoyed the personal stories in the beginning. I felt then it was really about your character. Where it wrong in my opinion is when it all converged and the story ends up being about someone else (won't spoil it for those that have yet to complete it).

Yea, I would agree Guild Wars as a series has fantastic lore for a fantasy video game world. Probably the strongest non-gameplay aspect of the series. Indeed, the strongest design of GW2 is it's world presentation.

I enjoy just about everything in the game, honestly. Though for me it is the lesser game to Guild Wars 1 in design if not execution.

Loves; class design, gear stat system, the world [obvs.], art direction.

Hates; UI, vanity & cosmetic options for clothing.

Mehs; Dungeons, Personal Story and PVP.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-30 at 06:09 PM. Reason: forgot a meh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    -snip-
    1. I accept that story will be an opinion thing... It's just personally compared to other MMORPGs it feels lacking in something

2. By activities I am probably just spoiled by MoP's dungeon/scenario finder, pet battles, archaeology, pet/mount collecting etc

3. I did not know this

5. Still, for maximum affect an engineer needs to be up close for max damage with rifle

8. Is there a dye vendor?

Don't get me wrong, loving GW2

The dye vendor is the tradepost

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The dye vendor is the tradepost
    Oh I spent all my gems on dye in hopes for a decent black but to no avail

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I spent all my gems on dye in hopes for a decent black but to no avail
    I think he meant purchase the colors you want directly from the Trading Post from other players that listed them.

Midnight Ice is an excellent black (but a bit pricey at 7g)
    Iron is a decent substitute at 17s.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I think he meant purchase the colors you want directly from the Trading Post from other players that listed them.
    Yeah this, not the random dye packs you can purchase from the gem shop.

If you type dye in the search window of the trade post, every available dye will be on there. Some are quite expensive (namely the black and white associated dyes)

I love:

The open world feeling
    The character creation
    Random events
    The art style
    The community

I hate:

The lack of story
    Poor optimization
    The profession system
    warriors have one long distance (1500) skill which on CD and adrenaline required.
    engineer have elixir gun, which when traited accordingly, have 1200 range on all skills and better utility.
    also engineer have lots of AOE, CC, and group support that warriors lack. you cant compare apples to kiwi.

character slots are purchasable. i think in current exchange rate, new slot cost is 12 gold.
    the BL trading company is their source of revenue from the game as it is free to play.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree with your assessment of the professions, AH, and Cash Shop. I feel these are things that they did superbly compared to many games. The world design, class design, and overall aesthetic are mind blowing as well.

The only thing I dislike is that (for me) there's not much to do in the game. So I agree with your assessment on that. While other people might find that the few things to do occupy their time, I don't. As such, I couldn't even make it to Max Level and haven't logged on to the game since the Halloween event. I was hoping the excitement of it would spur me to play more, but it really just reminded me there's nothing going on.

It's a shame, because I think it's one of the most well done MMOs to date. It just doesn't have a lasting appeal for me.

Really? Which race did you pick? You'll probably need to prepare for disappointment going forward.

I'm both an altoholic and played a number of characters with different biography choices in all 3 beta weekends, so I've seen quite a few personal stories. By comparison, many of the 1-30 are interesting compared to the garbage you get starting around 50. By then all the quests converge to the same miserable story of: "kill waves of undead, then get 2 options for your next quest: 1) kill waves of undead, or 2) kill waves of undead" regardless of biography/race/order choices which actually define your character and made things interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post

It's a shame, because I think it's one of the most well done MMOs to date. It just doesn't have a lasting appeal for me.
    Do you feel that you need something in the game to urge you on to play it? To take a wow example, there is always an incremental gear progression. Once you get all of that gear they usually will put on a new tier of gear to have people work towards that (the treadmill more or less). A lot folks seem to need this whether they realize or not in order to keep playing. I have played GW1 since that game released, off and on (I took several months break here and there), and really it has learned me to not worry about the rat race of getting more powerful gear. The drop in and out nature of GW2 is one of the things I most love that they took from their first game. Perhaps some time down the road you'll come back to play a bit.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you feel that you need something in the game to urge you on to play it?
    Yes, but it isn't gear like you mentioned. The game I'm currently playing does have a gear progression, but it can be accomplished with a variety of activities. Once you've completed the Map in GW2, there's not a whole lot of variety available to you. I really need a game with a robust achievement system that rewards you in some way, the choice to make all the content relevant, and lots of things to collect/excel in. It's not because I need something urging me to play, I need tangible and realistic goals. Even in a sandbox game there are inherent goals to accomplish.

Even Minecraft starts with the goal of survivial and naturally progresses to doing anything you want...but this is because they have built a world where that is possible. In a game like GW2 you are limited by the design of the game, so 'creating' content for yourself is really out of the question.

The drop in and out nature of GW2 is one of the things I most love that they took from their first game. Perhaps some time down the road you'll come back to play a bit.
    Oh I'm sure I will on this part, which is why I decided to buy it. I played enough to get my money out of it, as valuable as that money is to me. I just can't see a time where it has enough to offer to entice me to play it over a few other games more successfully doing similar things.