Deleted

Losing the WoW frame of mind

Hey everyone

So after a few months of hemming and hawing I took the plunge and started playing Rift. I started out with the Lite version but managed to snag a copy of the full game (minus Storm Legion) for free thanks to Raptr.

The only MMO I've seriously played is WoW, and my only main has been a mage. For most of this time, there's been one spec out of the 3 that's been "optimal." Usually, a 2nd spec is good enough to raid with, and of course for the longest time Frost was PvP only. Still, it was very clear that, for many guilds, you were expected to play the spec that provided the best DPS, and everyone knew which one that was.

What's been difficult for me to do is to lose the idea that there's a "correct" spec to play as. I started out with a rogue, because I loved the sound of the bard and saboteur souls. However, given the almost absurd levels of flexibility, I'm finding it hard to know where to go with them, and how many points to split between the different souls Is it honestly the case that you can take what sounds enjoyable to you and still do well?

With all this in mind, I bloody love this game so far. Is there any benefit to picking up Storm Legion before I get a character to 50?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stony Steve Lemon View Post
    Is it honestly the case that you can take what sounds enjoyable to you and still do well?
    For the most part you can throw together any combination of souls and proceed with the game at your own pace. Rift is still a post-Warcraft MMO. Post-Warcraft MMOs are typically impossible to fail.

Spec matters most at the edge of raiding content. If you are not progression raiding spec matters not.

I said you can throw together "any" combination. Yet I should say any reasonable combination more accurately. That is to say logically if you combine 2 tank souls and 1 DPS souls you will be a poor healer.

Without sarcasm or meanness intended-- it's just a matter of using your brain. Combining, for example, Void Knight (tank soul), Paladin (tank soul) and Reaver (tank soul) as a Warrior is pretty okay for tanking regardless of where the actual points are spent among those 3 souls. Oh you want to heal? Pick 3 healing or support souls. Et cetera.

Now if you were tanking or healing progression content? Well then that places a finer microscope on those points and where they are spent in the same 3 souls. At which point there are tons of raid specific guides for the 0.01% of guilds in Rift that are actually progression raiders.

Otherwise you can show up as whatever-the-fuck spec you like to the onslaught, 5 man dungeon or daily raid rift.

Is there any benefit to picking up Storm Legion before I get a character to 50?
    No.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-30 at 01:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any benefit to picking up Storm Legion before I get a character to 50?

Thanks

Only if you want to play the new mage melee soul Harbinger.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Only if you want to play the new mage melee soul Harbinger.
    Or any of the other 3 new souls. Not to mention you can go to the SL zones at 48.

With all this in mind, I bloody love this game so far. Is there any benefit to picking up Storm Legion before I get a character to 50?
    I, for one, am looking forward to leveling my rogue alt with the Tactician soul. Given that last I played it was around lvl 30, that gives me 20 more levels to get used to the more basic abilities. As per the other comments, with SL you get access to the 4 new souls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Or any of the other 3 new souls. Not to mention you can go to the SL zones at 48.

Ah derp I was inbetween pulls so only glanced this thread thought I read he was a mage but yup you're correct sir.

Also if you get the Infinity edition you will get the Brevanic portal generator which works in the 1-50/60 zones and lets you use the portals from anywhere (2hr CD), I guess that’s an advantage of buying SL before 50 too although version dependant.

Quote Originally Posted by Onorvele View Post
    I, for one, am looking forward to leveling my rogue alt with the Tactician soul. Given that last I played it was around lvl 30, that gives me 20 more levels to get used to the more basic abilities. As per the other comments, with SL you get access to the 4 new souls.
    How is that new rogue soul? It looked pretty cool when I first saw it (I mean flamethrowers, come on). But when I tried it out I was pretty underwhelmed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    How is that new rogue soul? It looked pretty cool when I first saw it (I mean flamethrowers, come on). But when I tried it out I was pretty underwhelmed by it.
    I've got some hours at level 60 now, and it's still the only build I've used. Well, it's a little more heavy in NB than tact, but it's still a lot of flamethrowing action and works great Sick AoE, and with NB pretty good single target. I can basically melee, range dps or AoE in the same fight, and only the ranged single target dps is kinda weak. Add in the passive support heals... not sure if I'm going back to ranger this xpac The only thing I'm missing is an interrupt!
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

Deleted
    Thanks for your replies and advice, everyone I'm having enough fun with the rogue at the moment without feeling the need to check out the tactitian soul, but at the rate I'm going I'll be picking up SL in a couple of weeks, so I can check it out then

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your replies and advice, everyone I'm having enough fun with the rogue at the moment without feeling the need to check out the tactitian soul, but at the rate I'm going I'll be picking up SL in a couple of weeks, so I can check it out then
    I just hit 50 and started checking out what SL has to offer today...man will you be blown away. The way the quests and flow is designed is so much better than anything I've done before. Plus planar attunement and all that jazz just makes the game pretty deep and easy to get involved in.