Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I'm actually quite tempted to do some thorough testing and post results to finally push this rumour off the edges of the forum once and for all. Though it may not be worthwhile just to play WoW, it is worthwhile for the sake of maximising performance and will often bring an improvement to FPS.

Overclocking the CPU for gaming performance is one of the most mistaken thoughts i see people have. It doesnt offer any benefit at all (unless its a game like WoW, as said). You will not even see an fps increase of 3 in the majority of games.

I would like to see your results though, would be interesting for WoW. My guess is that 25 man raiding would see perhaps a 10-15 fps increase. For most other parts of the World, i doubt there will be any fps increase at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Something is broke on your rig, most ive seen my card use is 750mb with wow, i also play 1080p ultra.
    Yours is the problem then as a good gfx card and software will try to store as many textures as possible on the card to save loading them on demand.

I am running about 1256mb usage on GTX580 2560x1600 and it is running very sweet, 60-100 fps most of the time.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 07:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I'm actually quite tempted to do some thorough testing and post results to finally push this rumour off the edges of the forum once and for all. Though it may not be worthwhile just to play WoW, it is worthwhile for the sake of maximising performance and will often bring an improvement to FPS.
    I have run both overclocked and standard on my system with WoW, and overclocking made the single biggest difference to frame rates and reducing fps spikes in 25 man raids.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydiddlydoo View Post
    Overclocking the CPU for gaming performance is one of the most mistaken thoughts i see people have. It doesnt offer any benefit at all (unless its a game like WoW, as said).
    This is still a WoW fansite.

I would like to see your results though, would be interesting for WoW. My guess is that 25 man raiding would see perhaps a 10-15 fps increase. For most other parts of the World, i doubt there will be any fps increase at all.
    There were some Orgrimmar/Stormwind/ICC25 benchmarks done during late WLK by regulars here that showed average FPS gets nearly 1:1 increase with CPU OC.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

If you turn v-sync off, the more fps your GPU pushes out and the less likely to see screen tear you will get.

If you turn v-sync on, you get worse input lag and micro stuttering due to frames being lost through the buffering process.

Regardless of your monitor's hz, more frames per second from your GPU will grant you a (minor) smoother experience.
    If you turn v-sync off, the more fps your GPU pushes out and you are MORE likely to see screen tear. Fixed for you.

@ some point you will see 2 frames in one cycle without v-sync

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    There were some Orgrimmar/Stormwind/ICC25 benchmarks done during late WLK by regulars here that showed average FPS gets nearly 1:1 increase with CPU OC.
    Could you clarify what you mean by 1:1 please? Im not really sure what you mean by it.

The reason i ask is because I am unable to perform manual overclocks on my motherboard, and when the next WoW expansion comes out, i might be interested in upgrading my mobo to squeeze a higher overclock.

Could you clarify what you mean by 1:1 please? Im not really sure what you mean by it.

The reason i ask is because I am unable to perform manual overclocks on my motherboard, and when the next WoW expansion comes out, i might be interested in upgrading my mobo to squeeze a higher overclock.
    It means that if you increase the clock speed by 20%, you get 20% higher frame rates.

Overclocking the CPU for gaming performance is one of the most mistaken thoughts i see people have. It doesnt offer any benefit at all (unless its a game like WoW, as said). You will not even see an fps increase of 3 in the majority of games.

On the contrary, overclocking one's CPU (even latest CPUs) will make huge difference in games as demanding as Crysis 2 and BF3 WHEN ran at ULTRA settings. However, in games as ancient as WoW, OC'ing one's CPU hardly makes any difference, UNLESS we are talking about Pentium 4's, Core Duos, and older Core Quads.

So yeah like I said, overclocking your Sandy or Ivy Bridge just to play WoW is a waste of resources, power and time.

Last night, I was doing some Alterac Valley BG's, and the thought crossed my mind that AV doesn't look much different than when I was running it on my Pentium 4 with my 64MB Nividia Ge Force 460 GO in 2005.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    It means that if you increase the clock speed by 20%, you get 20% higher frame rates.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    If you turn v-sync off, the more fps your GPU pushes out and you are MORE likely to see screen tear. Fixed for you.

@ some point you will see 2 frames in one cycle without v-sync
    Ye thanks for fixing.

Although i think it does depend on what monitor you purchase, i could be mistaken but i think some monitors can dump excess frames themselves which would result in less screen tearing the higher the fps that the GPU sends.

If such a thing doesnt exist, then it should do, I think my BenQ XL20T does this, but ye, could be wrong.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    On the contrary, overclocking one's CPU (even latest CPUs) will make huge difference in games as demanding as Crysis 2 and BF3 WHEN ran at ULTRA settings. However, in games as ancient as WoW, OC'ing one's CPU hardly makes any difference, UNLESS we are talking about Pentium 4's, Core Duos, and older Core Quads.

So yeah like I said, overclocking your Sandy or Ivy Bridge just to play WoW is a waste of resources, power and time.

Last night, I was doing some Alterac Valley BG's, and the thought crossed my mind that AV doesn't look much different than when I was running it on my Pentium 4 with my 64MB Nividia Ge Force 460 GO in 2005.
    Yes and No. It's the other way around from what you say (mostly).

Overclocking the CPU on games like Crysis 2 that have a GPU bottleneck will result in no fps gain at all.

It's only when the GPU is not bottlenecked (which would require you to have an extremely high end graphics card or SLI setup), that overclocking the CPU will see fps gains. (and on the contrary, overclocking/upgrading your graphics card is likely to have next to no impact).

On older games like WoW that arent GPU bottlenecked but are still CPU intensive, then overclocking the CPU will see an increase in FPS.

As a general rule of thumb, for the type of hardware most people have, overclocking the CPU will not see any performance gains at all, except for games like WoW that utilises a hefty combat log system.
    Last edited by howdydiddlydoo; 2013-01-01 at 08:22 PM.

If anything, games that are so graphics card heavy benefit even less than WoW from OCing the CPU.

In WoW, nearly everything is done by the processor. Character movement, combat, everything is done by the CPU. This is the reason why WoW runs on pretty much every computer built in the last ten years, and the competition such as RIFT, SW:ToR do not. Think of all those prebuilts with a 2600K and a crappy GT 520 graphics card.

WoW is the poster-child of games that benefit from CPU overclocking.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-01-01 at 08:36 PM.

O.Cing your cpu will not net the same gain as a better gpu in crysis or bf3. So listen its down to this either the whole world is wrong or you need to give us recording of your pc.

15+ Year Old Account
    This thread isn't going to deteriorate into another argument for/against overclocking in WoW. If you're interested in overclocking results, I made a thread about it with my i5 750 back when the forum was first created. Search for it or check the last few pages of posts in the forum. Another option, run your own tests and make a thread about it. Otherwise, get back to the original topic of WoW using a lot of VRAM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If anything, games that are so graphics card heavy benefit even less than WoW from OCing the CPU.

In WoW, nearly everything is done by the processor.
    As is in every game. WoW just happens to also have far more objects and 'events' to deal with in most cases, along with the absence of high abuse of shaders typically present in newer titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the matter, i fail to see the issue if the VRAM usage stays below the maximum? What is the actual problem/issue the OP is facing (besides making false statements like WoW not benefiting from CPU OC)?

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    On the matter, i fail to see the issue if the VRAM usage stays below the maximum? What is the actual problem/issue the OP is facing (besides making false statements like WoW not benefiting from CPU OC)?
    There isn't a problem, if his GPU only had 512MB vRAM he'd only get ~450MB loaded in it, if he had a 3GB card then chances are he'd see about 2.5GB loaded after playing for a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    What is the actual problem/issue the OP is facing?
    No problem. Just failing to understand how and what the RAM on graphics card is used for.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to get some serious stuttering issues (frame rate violently going up and down) with MSAA on 8x in the new zones (twilight highlands especially) during Cataclysm. (1920x1080 ultra) I was pretty convinced it was my 1GB VRAM that was the limiting factor.

Haven't tried 8x during MOP.
    Last edited by Wries; 2013-01-03 at 09:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Raising MSAA increases vram usage. So your assumption was correct