Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Moderating your own thread?

Often enough when you make a thread at certain times mods arent always there to step in.
    When someone makes an innapropriate comment or trolls, it could be handy if you can delete them yourself? ( just in the thread you made)
    Usually when someone goes off topic others will have to reply on it naturally.. and well threads that go too off topic will get closed.
    So if you could delete them yourself quickly you might save your own ( what you think ) usefull thread!
    any chance of this happening or has it already been thought of but denied?

Then people would just delete posts that disagree with them.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Then people would just delete posts that disagree with them.
    Well sure you'll have those people too, But i think their thread would die out pretty fast.

I agree with Drathos. it seems good in concept, but it would be heavily abused, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

Deleted
    I can't see any way something like this would work at all for the reasons pointed out above. Also, what happens to a thread where the OP is a troll?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    I can't see any way something like this would work at all for the reasons pointed out above. Also, what happens to a thread where the OP is a troll?
    Well we have mods for closing threads where the OP is a troll no? I don't disagree with the points posted above, not at all. But some other forums have options like these too and it isn't always bad. There will always be people deleting comments of others that dissagree with their posts i'm not denying that.
    I don't know how hard it is to implement it but if it isn't so hard we could always test it out and see how it goes for a bit?

Deleted
    While that idea does have its advantages, I think it has its drawbacks too. This is, after all, a discussion forum. I imagine most people come here expecting several different opinions and perspectives on a variety of topics (especially in Gen OT, I find), so that they can gain new insight for their own outlook, perhaps attempt to win others over to their side of an argument and maybe change their own views. And, even though allowing OPs the option to edit their own started threads would be good for getting rid of spam posts and unnecessarily rude/mean responses, it might also stop good posts that they maybe don't approve of from being seen by others. What if the OP is wrong about certain facts or something and they choose to delete every post which attempts to correct them, that could potentially spread misinformation as other site members might take the unedited posts as true (when they might be false). Truth is not always easy to take and someone getting annoyed about being corrected might delete good responses which other people wouldn't get to see.

Surely you can see how the cons outweigh the pros. The OP of course will always be biased as to what he thinks should be in the thread and shouldn't.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    How about a feature that allows the OP to hide the troll post and hiding a post will notify a mod that will see if it's legit or not. also other people will be able to click a button that will show the post and if they agree with the ops decision to hide it they can vote it.
    To stop OPs from abusing it, how 'bout a tracking system that will show how many legit hides the OP has done and how many abused ones, and if the ratio goes to high towards the bad side, the OP will lose the feature?

Deleted
    This will be a bad thing instead of a good thing.

I really don't see this going anywhere, I think it's just better if people or the OP report posts instead of being able to delete posts or making them invisible, waiting for a mod to make it visible in case it's okay.

Maybe you could convince everyone here that you should let the thread creator be able to lock their own thread, but to moderate as in editing comments, infractions, deleting posts, no way lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Maybe you could convince everyone here that you should let the thread creator be able to lock their own thread, but to moderate as in editing comments, infractions, deleting posts, no way lol.
    It still would be as bad as the other things that have been mentioned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    It still would be as bad as the other things that have been mentioned.
    Care to explain why this would be as bad?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Care to explain why this would be as bad?
    "I don't like people disagreeing, fuck it, locking it."

That kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    "I don't like people disagreeing, fuck it, locking it."

That kind of thing.
    While the ability to delete other users posts(i.e. moderation) is generally a bad idea, the ability to lock your own thread is pretty logical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    While the ability to delete other users posts(i.e. moderation) is generally a bad idea, the ability to lock your own thread is pretty logical.
    Too much abuse for it.
    If the creator dislikes what's going on and such, but the discussion is good and all. Then the thread should be able to continue. The creator should not have the ability to lock it.
    Not to mention the gigantic amount of trolling possibilities people would have.

It'll in the end just cause more trouble.
    We may reopen the thread just to have it continue, and since the system being implemented (I don't even think you can put it in), the creator may just end up locking it again, which probably end up just handing out infractions at that point.

Too much abuse for it.
    If the creator dislikes what's going on and such, but the discussion is good and all. Then the thread should be able to continue. The creator should not have the ability to lock it.
    Like what? Creating a topic "Alliance sucks" and locking it?
    It is the same as to create a topic "Alliance sucks" and wait for moderators to lock it.

Anyway, it does not really matter.
    A request button "please lock this thread" would be not bad though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Like what? Creating a topic "Alliance sucks" and locking it?
    It is the same as to create a topic "Alliance sucks" and wait for moderators to lock it.

Anyway, it does not really matter.
    A request button "please lock this thread" would be not bad though.
    More on the lines of taking these types of thread.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ay-Of-Congress
    and then locking em because you don't agree. Not creating a troll thread then locking it, which is more or less the opposite.

You may request a lock by reporting a post (generally the op) and put it as your comment. (Please don't abuse this. )
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-01-02 at 09:17 AM.

With great power comes responsibility.

Responsibility is a rare thing on the internet unfortunately.

Deleted
    Too much abuse for it.

It'll in the end just cause more trouble.
    We may reopen the thread just to have it continue, and since the system being implemented (I don't even think you can put it in), the creator may just end up locking it again, which probably end up just handing out infractions at that point.
    What about a limited amount of locks? like maybe one per hour? its enough time for a mod to come check out why it has been closed.