Page 1 of 3
LastLast

RBG rating services for $$ advertised withing game with name and surname!!!!

This is the ticket I have just submitted to Blizzard:

There is this person called "C.... J.....", his skype being "XXXXXXXXXXX" who has been spamming the trade channel of my server for several weeks now selling RBG rating in exchange for cash (real money). He includes his real name and skype address in his ad which he spams on trade channel. I wonder why you guys at Blizzard don't do anything about him. Does he work for you? I have reported his toons several times but nothing ever happens. Do you even care?

First thing that greeted me this morning when I logged in, was this person's ad. This guy is amazing, he is using his REAL NAME (full name and surname) and he is giving out his skype address too. When you talk to him on skype, he asks for payment in British Pounds through Paypal to boost your toons. I have reported this guy's toons several times over the course of several weeks, and yet CJ is ALWAYS there, posting from new toons, which means that Blizzard hasn't taken any legal action against him (or I suspect any other action whatsoever).

Ofc, CJ appears to be a hacker, posting from newly hacked accounts, same way as the goldsellers do.

There is something fishy here. Blizzard is unable or unwilling to touch this guy. I wonder why.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

CJ, eh? First he couldn't even follow the damn train, now this.

CJ probably isn't his real name though. Nor is he likely to be just one guy. Like those people that phone you on a Sunday who are called "Christopher", or "Simon" despite having an Indian accent thicker than a chicken tikka. It's just something that's familiar sounding so you're more likely to trust him. Who are you more likely to give your credit card to? Chris Jones or Ravinder Patel? If somebody appears to be more "like us", then we're more likely to fall for scams. It's simple psychology. We trust people over companies, and countrymen over foreigners.

Ofc, CJ appears to be a hacker, posting from newly hacked accounts, same way as the goldsellers do.

There is something fishy here. Blizzard is unable or unwilling to touch this guy. I wonder why
    You kind of answered your own question. If he's always on new accounts / hacked accounts he just uses another each time one gets banned.

I don't know enough about networking ot what have you to say if they can effectively IP ban people, but I'm pretty sure there would be ways around that also :<

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    You kind of answered your own question. If he's always on new accounts / hacked accounts he just uses another each time one gets banned.

I don't know enough about networking ot what have you to say if they can effectively IP ban people, but I'm pretty sure there would be ways around that also :<
    Credit Card and Paypal fraud is a felony. Since he is giving his paypal, Law Enforcement can trace him through his bank account. The question is why isn't Blizzard Europe forwarding this guy's details to British Law Enforcement.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Credit Card and Paypal fraud is a felony. Since he is giving his paypal, Law Enforcement can trace him through his bank account. The question is why isn't Blizzard Europe forwarding this guy's details to British Law Enforcement.
    Because there's no evidence of fraud, only of a hacked account? If it's his paypal, it's not fraud.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Because there's no evidence of fraud, only of a hacked account? If it's his paypal, it's not fraud.
    So, selling services for an online game through paypal, which are expressly forbidden by the TOS, is not fraud?

Isn't this guy tax evading too? He is getting real money in exchange for -illegal- web services while not paying any tax to the UK government.

So far I 've found fraud and tax evasion. Pretty sure I could find more if I tried.

What do you mean "evidence". Do you want me to post screenshots of the convo I have had with this guy so that you may satisfy yourself that there is ample evidence to prosecute this guy?

So, selling services for an online game through paypal, which are expressly forbidden by the TOS, is not fraud?
    Nope, it's not even close to being fraud. There's also nothing you can do about it really, if they communicate outside the game, exchange currencies outside the game then that's pretty watertight as far as blizzard are concerned.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    CJ, eh? First he couldn't even follow the damn train, now this.
    Haha, this made my day xD

OT: Even if blizz did something against the mentioned guy a new one would appear anyway so its a waste of time I guess.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    this is interesting.

if it'd be CJ's paypal and its not the CJ spamming, its fraud?
    if its CJ's paypal, and its CJ spamming, its ok, but then you cant say the account is hacked?
    if its hacked, why would XX spam CJ's paypal, its fraud too?

"too much mess to handle, lets do nothing" - GM-team?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably a fake name, hacked accounts, paypal with fake info, not much you can really do about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Valsh View Post
    Nope, it's not even close to being fraud. There's also nothing you can do about it really, if they communicate outside the game, exchange currencies outside the game then that's pretty watertight as far as blizzard are concerned.
    So, I can advertise selling -say- narcotics through the game chat and that would be pretty cool with Blizzard, so long as I communicate outside the game and exchange currency outside the game?

Noted, thanks.

You don't happen to be affiliated with Blizzard Europe in any way, do you?

Deleted
    Narcotics are against the law. Arena boosts.. I doubt the law/police will care at all. Blizzard doesn't make the law, they only make the rules in their game, so doing something against their rules does not automatically make it fraud.

So, I can advertise selling -say- narcotics through the game chat and that would be pretty cool with Blizzard, so long as I communicate outside the game and exchange currency outside the game?

Noted, thanks.

You don't happen to be affiliated with Blizzard Europe in any way, do you?
    Did you honestly just compare RBG boosting to drug trafficking?

Did you honestly just compare RBG boosting to drug trafficking?
    Yes. Both acts are felonies in so far as the letter of the law is concerned. You didn't answer to my question.

Yes. Both acts are felonies in so far as the letter of the law is concerned. You didn't answer to my question.
    RBG boosting does not break any laws, it's not even against blizzards ToS(which isn't legally binding by the way), exchanging real currency for in-game services may break the ToS but if they're communicating outside of the game then it's very hard for blizzard to prove money is being exchanged. All blizzard can do is ban the people advertising the service in trade chat, they'll make new accounts and continue to advertise as it has been for the past what, 2 years? Hardly a new practice.

A ToS violation is a civil matter and not criminal. Please check your facts before clambering onto your soapbox.

RBG boosting does not break any laws, it's not even against blizzards ToS(which isn't legally binding by the way), exchanging real currency for in-game services may break the ToS but if they're communicating outside of the game then it's very hard for blizzard to prove money is being exchanged. All blizzard can do is ban the people advertising the service in trade chat, they'll make new accounts and continue to advertise as it has been for the past what, 2 years? Hardly a new practice.
    Please don't try to be condescending to me, I know how legal and law enforcement stuff work.

RBG boosting your mate does not break any laws, however, RBG boosting in exchange for real money in a third party's commercial enterprise does break laws and it is illegal, as is illegal to tax evade, especially so in the United Kingdom.

It seems to me that Blizzard -or its servants and officers- are not particularly keen to stop felonies perpetrated in and around WoW, possibly because some people are making money on this.

Please don't try to be condescending to me, I know how legal and law enforcement stuff work.

RBG boosting your mate does not break any laws, however, RBG boosting in exchange for real money in a third party's commercial enterprise does break laws and it is illegal, as is illegal to tax evade, especially so in the United Kingdom.

It seems to me that Blizzard -or its servants and officers- are not particularly keen to stop felonies perpetrated in and around WoW, possibly because some people are making money on this.
    You seem to be lacking in the ability to comprehend, so I'll take this really slow.

1. Unless an action breaks a law, it can be legally offered as a service between two consenting adults, for payment, unless specific legislation is in place to prevent it (consentual sex for money being criminalised by anti prostitution laws is the most commonly cited example).
    2. Playing a video game as a proxy for another individual is not legislated against under US or British law.
    3. Subsequently, offering a power levelling or rating boosting service is not in violation of any criminal statute as long as the service is provided as a legally registered contractor and all relevent revenue streams are submitted to the relevent taxation authority.
    4. It is, however, a violation of Blizzard's ToS to conduct such activities; a civil contract between a corporation and the individual using the software. This violation is a civil matter only.

Subsequently, as long as all income is reported, there is no crime being committed; only a civil liability that Blizzard is at their leisure to pursue, or not, as their legal department sees fit. If, however, you have evidence that "CJ" is not paying his taxes, I am sure your local authorities will be enthralled to hear what you have to say.
    Last edited by llandrywyn; 2013-01-02 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Edit for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by llandrywyn View Post
    You seem to be lacking in the ability to comprehend, so I'll take this really slow.
    he's greek what do you expect

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-01-02 at 02:25 PM.

It doesn't break LAWS.

Violating a game's ToS doesn't break the law.

Offering to sell drugs through the game is obviously illegal, regardless of whatever platform in which you try to distribute narcotics.
    If you advertised that you were selling drugs in-game and someone reported you then Blizzard would be obligated to further that to the police.

Selling in-game services, while it violates ToS, doesn't break the law. Not in the slightest.

As for tax evasion. Donations aren't taxable income.