Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GPU Temp in game && Littles questions

Hi!!

I recently build up my computer, and I have question about my GPU

When my my card isn't in work, it runs at 26 C, and when I start a game, it instantly (it takes few sec) goes to 46C and in game it will go to 50 C max

Is it ok?
    My main interrogation is about the fact that it go from 25/26 to 45 very quickly.

Else, I have the impression that the game is "slow", my card says 60 fps (which is the screen max)

I tried a little overclock, (nothing very important, only raised the slider in afterburner) and played for 20-30 min maximum and then shutdown my computer.
    My afterburner settings are now to the original ones.

Can it be the the overclock who damaged something?

My card is new, (MSI Twin frozr III R7850 OC)
    (Installed it 2 weeks ago)

Deleted
    those temps are more then fine, usually you should start worrying about gpu temps when the go above 80 degrees.
    overclock likely did nothing to your card.

Ok, was worring about having damaged to card with the OC, I just raised the power limite to +5, the core clock to 1100 from 900 and the memory clock to 1300 (from 1300)

Im currently watching a replay in dota 2 to see if something's wrong, but seems allright

10+ Year Old Account
    Unlike CPU's, video cards can be VERY finicky about overclocking. An i5 3570K CPU can pretty much overclock as much as heat allows. GPUs on the other hand can start having issues going 10mhz higher than they are. It's hit or miss.

Don't knew this

I'll won't overclock permently my GC, it was just to see if I could gain some fps, but my pc didn't crashed, no blackscreen and no special noise, temperature didn't went higher than 60 (Usually 53 in planetside 2, the game where my Gpu works the most)

My cpu is actually an i5-3570k ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PunisherQc View Post
    Don't knew this

I'll won't overclock permently my GC, it was just to see if I could gain some fps, but my pc didn't crashed, no blackscreen and no special noise, temperature didn't went higher than 60 (Usually 53 in planetside 2, the game where my Gpu works the most)

My cpu is actually an i5-3570k ^^
    well it likely crashed because you raised the core clock by too much, it is usually better to start from stock and work you way up there to find a stable overclock.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    well it likely crashed because you raised the core clock by too much, it is usually better to start from stock and work you way up there to find a stable overclock.
    well...

It didn't crashed ?
    Maybe that the way I wrote it was unclear, english ain't my native language, but my computer didn't crashed. I was only worring about having damaged the GPU, but nothing was anormal, so I think everything is allright.

Deleted
    well...

It didn't crashed ?
    Maybe that the way I wrote it was unclear, english ain't my native language, but my computer didn't crashed. I was only worring about having damaged the GPU, but nothing was anormal, so I think everything is allright.
    aah you shut it down yourself, my bad on that.
    still if you are to OC you gpu you should also test stability with tool like heaven dx11 benchmark. (also good way to see how much the OC increases performance)

I don't really trust this benchmark, the resolution count too much as a part of the score and you can't really compare with others, but only with yourself.

As I said sooner, this OC was just "for fun" and too see if it can increase the performance. I'll read on how overclock, I only use the sliders of MSI Afterburner and I raised them a little bit too see if I could get some fps.

If I do (permantly) I'll do a furmark test

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Unlike CPU's, video cards can be VERY finicky about overclocking. An i5 3570K CPU can pretty much overclock as much as heat allows. GPUs on the other hand can start having issues going 10mhz higher than they are. It's hit or miss.
    10MHz? Yeah, maybe 5+ years ago... Nowadays most can get at least a 100MHz boost, if not more. Hell a lot of GPUs are overclocked by a good 50-150MHz from 3rd party manufacturers over reference.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 12:01 AM ----------

I don't really trust this benchmark, the resolution count too much as a part of the score and you can't really compare with others, but only with yourself.
    Heaven DX11 is one of the best GPU testers for both stability and also benchmarking pure graphics performance, as it is about 100% GPU load and next to 0% CPU load, from what I can tell.

Say for instance, you run your GPU at its normal out-of-the-box stock settings, run the benchmark. Now for easy numbers sake, I'm going to just say, let's say that gave you a score of 800. You overclock your GPU and you run Heaven again, same graphical settings and everything, and get a 900 or even 1,000 score. That should be a good indicator of what kind of extra GPU performance boost you've gotten. It will be especially evident in truly graphics-intensive games (not DOTA 2) like Skyrim, BF3, Crysis, The Witcher 2, and Metro 2033.

A couple other good graphics benchmarking and testing programs are 3DMark Vantage and the newer 3DMark 11, however the next one is set to come out sometime this year. (Excited!)

See my signature for the mmo-champion.com GPU OC leaderboards thread.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2013-01-03 at 12:01 AM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Depends on how much you're overclocking it. Also, 80C-88C is normally where I set my hardware to shut itself off for protection. It might be possible that you're at the very edge of your power supply capability, and pushing your system while overclocking is making it shut down for safety purposes. I've also seen several less than quality PSU's that say one wattage and get very unstable as the load increases.

Also, those twin FROZR cards tend to do pretty well overclocking.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Another question: msi afterburner shows that my gpu is running at 100% of is usage in gaming.... is it a problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    Another question: msi afterburner shows that my gpu is running at 100% of is usage in gaming.... is it a problem?
    What game exactly?

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 12:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    Depends on how much you're overclocking it. Also, 80C-88C is normally where I set my hardware to shut itself off for protection. It might be possible that you're at the very edge of your power supply capability, and pushing your system while overclocking is making it shut down for safety purposes. I've also seen several less than quality PSU's that say one wattage and get very unstable as the load increases.

Also, those twin FROZR cards tend to do pretty well overclocking.
    He shut his computer down manually. ^^
    "A flower.

Planetside 2 and Dota 2
    (Only games that I have installed right now (my computer is new from 2 week and I only have my little 120go SSD now ^^))

EDIT

Installed Catalyst driver 12.10 and in dota 2 I get 40%, will test PS2

Second edit

In PS2, still at 100% and running at 45-60 fps (Everything at max)
    Last edited by Punisher; 2013-01-03 at 12:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, DOTA 2 isn't very GPU-intensive, so 40% sounds right, PS2 probably needs GPU power, if you don't like it running at 100%, turn down some more GPU-focused effects. I'm sure you could live with the next highest settings under max. :P
    "A flower.

^_^

I don't really care having 100% of GPU usage, was only to see if it was normal
    My previous computer wasn't even able to show 20fps in the lowest settings, I am more than happy with this Gpu ^^

The original purpose of this topic was only to see if my stupid on the go overcloking would not have damaged my GC
    Btw my heaven benchmark results is 700 with EVERYTHING at the absolute maximum, in 1900x1080, and with recommanded settings it is 1800

10+ Year Old Account
    10MHz? Yeah, maybe 5+ years ago... Nowadays most can get at least a 100MHz boost, if not more. Hell a lot of GPUs are overclocked by a good 50-150MHz from 3rd party manufacturers over reference.
    I guess maybe you misunderstood what I wrote, or something.

Yes, if a GPU is overclocked by the manufacturer, it has already been tested and verified at that.

However, GPUs that are not stock overclocked, or have no OC 'aspect' or tout such.. Again, it's hit and miss. Just because YOUR card might do well OC'ing, doesn't mean someone elses of the exact same model can. I was simply pointing out that GPUs are MUCH more finicky, and unstable when it comes to OC, than CPUs are.

10+ Year Old Account
    The major difference between factory overclocked and stock clock offered cards is the ASIC Quality that manufacturers use to segregate GPU's. Usually higher ASIC Quality cards become factory overclocked cards while lower become stock clocked cards.

Basically, ASIC is just the percentile quality of a GPU in comparison to other GPU's.

You can use GPU-Z to read the ASIC Quality on modern GPU's out of the MSR(Model Specific Register) on the GPU.

As far as Overclocking a GPU goes, most people simply raise the Core Clocks up 5-15MHz increments and then run a stressful benchmark to essentially automate stress testing. As stated previously it is recommended you use something like Unigine Heaven DX11 or 3DMark 11 to stress your GPU after raising the clock speeds. I would mainly focus on the Core Clock, and ignore the Memory Clock until you find your maximum Core Clock. When you find a comfortable overclock, I suggest clicking on the Lock Icon so its unlocked, then Right click on 1 and click on the Lock again so its locked. This will save it to a profile so that if it resets somehow you can simply load it again. I would also select "Apply Overclock at System Startup".

Another concern is temperatures and the Radeon HD 7850 in general has a maximum temperature of about 100C or so I believe (This is the point at which it will shut down to prevent any damage). I advise going into MSI Afterburner and just setting up a simple Fan Profile for 1% per 1C. Basically just right click to remove all but 2 markers and drag one to the minimum fan speed line and the other to 100% at 100C.

Overall this is mostly just a basic write up of overclocking a GPU but hopefully it helps a little.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2013-01-03 at 01:00 AM.

I'll try to be more carefull with afterburner next time, the original core clock of the 7850 is 860, and MSI overclocked it to 900, and I overcloked it to 1000... Had no problem with it but I don't want to have some ^^

Exactly, how do we see if we have "damaged" a gc?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll try to be more carefull with afterburner next time, the original core clock of the 7850 is 860, and MSI overclocked it to 900, and I overcloked it to 1000... Had no problem with it but I don't want to have some ^^

Don't worry, modern hardware has become quite resilient and simply changing the Clock Speeds won't actually cause any damage. It's when you mess with the voltages that you need to be careful but even then manufacturers have began limiting the voltage to a maximum allowable value that is way under the maximum safe for the GPU.