S12 to S13 Transition with Mostly Dreadful gear

Okay, so I'm wonder if it's worth sticking to buying Malevolent this late in the season. The other option I have is upgrading the few pieces I have.
    Buying Malevolent:
    • Greatest gear gain right this second
    • Possibly raise cap due to having better gear this season, resulting in more conquest

Upgrading the few Malevolent that I have:
    • Slight edge next season if I farm out Malev for honor in the slots that were Dread

Context: Healer who intends to be competitive next season yet doesn't want to be sat on every high rated team due to gear.
    Last edited by Jinivus; 2012-12-31 at 06:38 PM.

I'm posting to give my non-expert advice, and so people who know what they're talking about will have a chance to see this post. I would by the actual gear. It is a bigger upgrade for right now which will allow you to get perform better in higher ranked arena matches (yes I know gear isn't everything, but it certainly helps) and get practice in at higher levels. Also, I would have to believe that when the current gear becomes purchasable with honor, it will be upgradable with honor too. And on the second point, I don't think it would be too bad to get an alt decently geared. Just buy the AH pvp gear then get some honor from BGs and get some better pvp gear that way. I don't believe that the change between patches will be too different between this xpac and previous ones.

I hope that helps a little and I definitely hope someone with more knowledge on the topic responds

10+ Year Old Account
    The honor gear next season will be superior to the current malevolent gear.
    Also, I'm fairly sure conquest points will be turned into honor points when the next season starts so my advice is to get what is the best upgrade for you, which in most cases is more malevolent pieces.

If you don't care at all for this season, sit on 4k honor and wait for 5.2. Malevolent gear will then be honor-bought and once new season starts you can begin fresh. You can spend your conquests and keep capping for now though. It doesn't really matter tbh. You have a week to get fully geared from honor between S12 and S13

Thanks for the replies, so basically I overreacted and S13 will be more of a 'clean slate' then I figured.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember that perhaps, just like all previous seasons. Next seasons honor bought malevant gear will have a higher iLvL. At least if Blizzard continues their trend of the past seasons.

I'd say wait for the PTR to come they say there will be changes to the gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    The honor gear next season will be superior to the current malevolent gear.
    Also, I'm fairly sure conquest points will be turned into honor points when the next season starts so my advice is to get what is the best upgrade for you, which in most cases is more malevolent pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Remember that perhaps, just like all previous seasons. Next seasons honor bought malevant gear will have a higher iLvL. At least if Blizzard continues their trend of the past seasons.
    Thing is, they said that invalidating people's effort is "not fun" and thus they're trying to get away from it. For example there wont be any dungeons as catch up mechanism in PvE. If the same applies to PvP then the current conquest gear might just become the next honor gear, something I personally hope for because having to grind a whole new set each season majorly sucks.

Malevolent armours will be substituted by the new S13 Honor ones but not by a large margin. Possibly current Malevolent upgraded will be better than S13 un-upgraded honor gear. However, S12 Elite weapon will still be superior until you can get S13 Conquest weapon whereas S13 Honor weapon will be S12 Conquest weapon unless Blizzard decides to shuffle things up this time round.

So if you'd want to play it safe, just upgrade your weapons, possibly upgrade your Malevolent 2250 pieces. But seriously we do not really know when exactly 5.2 is hitting the shores, there is still no 5.2 PTR as of now maybe next week? And there is no announcement of season ending.

Any idea if the honor-bought Malevolent gear will include weapons in S13?

I read somewhere that they are planning some changed on how the gear scales between seasons, best tip - wait for the PTR to come live, and more info to be leaked out.

If it continues like before, the "new" malevolent gear you can buy for honor will have a litle higher ilvl (I bet the same as a upgraded piece have now), they will also sell honor weapons but you need to have earned honor to get it (Cant recall the number, but its over 10k I think)
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

If they just make the current malevolent armor available for honor, it will kill the 5 mans and T11 LFR as gearing paths. People will just grind out honor for "welfare PvP epics".

I will be interested to see how they avoid this, if they can.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    If they just make the current malevolent armor available for honor, it will kill the 5 mans and T11 LFR as gearing paths. People will just grind out honor for "welfare PvP epics".

True, and I guess thats why they where talking about a new system (Cant for the life of me remember where I read it though)
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    True, and I guess thats why they where talking about a new system (Cant for the life of me remember where I read it though)
    It was on the front page of this site.

Note that GC was responding to a question about next season's arena gear, so they may do nothing with this seasons gear (and just let it go to honor).

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...2pvptweets.png
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post

They can't avoid it unless they plan to completly break PvP gearing.

As GC said : The gear in 5.2 will work a litle different

So we cant do anything but wait and see

I'm making the assumption that there won't be an honor weapon so all I'm expecting to get out of this season given my very late entry to this xpack is enough conquest to buy that and upgrade (non elite ofc) then sit and grind out honor gear at the start of S13 and try to make that season something I can actually compete in. Of course if they decide to gate the honor part grind in some way I'll probably just unsub again as there is little point being fodder for the whole life of the expansion as a penalty to a few months break between expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    I'm making the assumption that there won't be an honor weapon so all I'm expecting to get out of this season given my very late entry to this xpack is enough conquest to buy that and upgrade (non elite ofc) then sit and grind out honor gear at the start of S13 and try to make that season something I can actually compete in. Of course if they decide to gate the honor part grind in some way I'll probably just unsub again as there is little point being fodder for the whole life of the expansion as a penalty to a few months break between expansions.
    ^this, I hate doing arena on my alts. And the fact I went from ret to holy mid season on my main makes PvP life a pain in the ass... They need to imply a new system