Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard's Secret Luck Button

Do you think it is possible there is a secret switch in peoples accounts which gives you greater luck at certain times.

Or should it be put down to coincidence?

I got Anzu mount and White Chicken on the same day
    Some time later i got Blue and Black drake on same day (I know Black isn't random drop but I won the roll)
    Today I got Azure Drake and Ashes of A'lar in <24hours

I think it's coincidence but my friend thinks I should go kill Onyxia as many times as possible today lol!

Most will just say "RNG IS RNG" but idk this stuff seems to happen like that, there maybe a multiplier effect or something.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Deleted
    Rng is rng

10+ Year Old Account
    No, no secret buttons.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I have of thought about this before. There has been two occasions where I have un subbed, upon returning to the game, loot from LFR is thrown at me on the first run on both occasions after re subbing. It was like the game knew I had just come back and needed to hook me in again by showering me with loot.

Based on your overwhelming evidencce, i have to agree with you. Yes, there is some sort of "button".

10+ Year Old Account
    It feels like stuff like that happens sometimes, but I wouldn't know of any reasons to add so many "secret luck buttons" so discreetly, so it's probably all just a big coincidence.

It's because people don't understand how random works

The following list of numbers from 1 to 9 is not random: 194263875
    The following list of numbers from 1 to 9 is random: 339238143

EDIT: Also, if you flip a coin ten times, you have the same chance to see HHHHHHHHHH as you do HTHTHTHTHT
    Last edited by Kalcheus; 2013-01-03 at 06:24 PM.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ..and why would Blizzard switch YOUR button today? Ah well..don't forget to click that gem in the character room of Diablo 2. I hear that has secrets too....
    Dunno, maybe because I am so Awesome?
    RNG on the the luck switch maybe?

10+ Year Old Account
    What would be the point of it? No.

I've had lucky days and I've had really unlucky ones, but overall everything has been pretty consistent.

There would be absolutely no reason to put this into the game/
    The human mind loves trying to organise chaos into patterns (it's why we need external tools to generate random numbers in the first place, you've got no hope trying to do it out of your head) but I assure you, this is just how chance works. There is no secret switch.

Deleted
    Sure,there is.

Modern computing creates random numbers using a congruential non-linear generator function with a seed based on a random physical magnitude(99% of times thermal disipation of a resistance).

So there you go,the days youre lucky is the day your room is at an 0.000000001º Celsius from the non-estandar deviation of the resistance.Just measure the temperature and now you know how to get Invincible or Mimi´s head.

10+ Year Old Account
    What did you eat on those days? Was there any sort of food in common? What about your underwear, was it the same? If you answered yes to any of these, you might have some lucky food/underwear going on. Sounds reasonable.

Deleted
    Like the Blue poster said just an hour ago
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Funny you should mention that...
    I’ve recently noticed that I tend to get more loot when I'm able to clap my hands three times during the last two seconds just before the boss dies

Quote Originally Posted by Primi View Post
    Sure,there is.

Modern computing creates random numbers using a congruential non-linear generator function with a seed based on a random physical magnitude(99% of times thermal disipation of a resistance).

So there you go,the days youre lucky is the day your room is at an 0.000000001º Celsius from the non-estandar deviation of the resistance.Just measure the temperature and now you know how to get Invincible or Mimi´s head.
    I know you're being sarcastic, but you're (mostly) right about the random numbers. However, loot rolls are all done on the server side, so the temperature of your computer would have no impact on the random numbers used for the loot.

My luck seems to happen every year at around the same time. Few years back I got Anzu, Razzashi Raptor, Half of Thunderfury and a few other things within the space of a week. Then I got a sweet fuck all for about a year and I ended up getting 2 halfs of Thunderfury on two alts, Sulfuras on an alt and a few rare pets from world drops. It is purely RNG, but it does indeed feel that there is some sort of "multiplier" or a button sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    It's because people don't understand how random works

The following list of numbers from 1 to 9 is not random: 194263875
    The following list of numbers from 1 to 9 is random: 339238143

EDIT: Also, if you flip a coin ten times, you have the same chance to see HHHHHHHHHH as you do HTHTHTHTHT
    This.
    If you have several list of computer generated random numbers and human generated random numbers.
    Any good statistician is able to select out the human generated list with very high accuracy.
    What people think are random is not random at all.
    Edit: computer generated random are not true random, but they are statistically random anyways.
    Last edited by Exorte; 2013-01-03 at 08:14 PM.

I think there is some sort of formula used by Blizzard to determine loot drops, what exactly that is I have no idea. I've had long runs in guilds that had the exact same items drop from a particular boss for months at a time, or one particular item that just never drops. Why would they do it? To artificially throttle raid progress I guess. Maybe it is just RNG, but it seems to happen to a lot of people, you definately never hear about a guild that cleared a raid tier one time and got every single item they wanted on the first run. That occurance should be happening just as often as the events where an item doesn't drop for months at a time, if it's all statistically identical. Or, perhaps certain items have lower drop rates than others based on their desirability/power ratio, and a boss doesn't have an equal chance to drop any item off a particular list.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ..and why would Blizzard switch YOUR button today? Ah well..don't forget to click that gem in the character room of Diablo 2. I hear that has secrets too....
    The amount of time my friends and I spent experimenting with that...

Chat gem 2.0.

I always keep a Lucky Rock in my bags...