Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Daggers and Fists are not affected by 5.2's transmog rules.

Title.

As of 5.2, you are able to transmogrify weapons of similar types to and from one another (1h sword -> 1h axe).

Fist Weapons can only be transmogrified to Fist Weapons.

Daggers can only be transmogrified to Daggers.

This affects us more than anyone else, dear Rogues. To the forums with us?

There is absolutely no more functional difference in game between a sword and a dagger than between a sword and an axe, and I'd like us not to have to stand for this.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Perhaps some code confusion for "Requires a Dagger" abilities? That's what I'd call a functional difference. Not sure about fist weapons, however. I believe I read somewhere they were allowing same-animation types to transmog between (axes, maces and swords all use the same animations), but daggers and fists have their own animations. Maybe that's it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzbert View Post
    Perhaps some code confusion for "Requires a Dagger" abilities? That's what I'd call a functional difference. Not sure about fist weapons, however. I believe I read somewhere they were allowing same-animation types to transmog between (axes, maces and swords all use the same animations), but daggers and fists have their own animations. Maybe that's it?
    That's exactly it. Only same animation weapon types are being made mix and match, and that only applies to swords, maces and axes, unfortunately. Even polearms and staves use different animations, despite relative similarities.

I would honestly love to see the system even further loosened, since using a fist weapon on my warrior, for example, would be hot...but that looks unlikely for the time being.

Completely ignoring Main hand, Off hand regulations.
    Want Rogue Gameplay? Subtlety/Assassination Guides? 2v2 3v3 and 1v1 strategies?

http://www.youtube.com/user/SusejFTW

Also SCP Containment Breach, Guild Wars 2, and Diablo 3!

Indeed, we can now finally use spell-caster daggers, it's a step in the right direction + Using Mutilate/Backstab with weapons like Silent Crusader would be silly (and this is comming from someone who is only combat because I dislike daggers)

Some spell daggers look siiiick. I'm excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzbert View Post
    I believe I read somewhere they were allowing same-animation types to transmog between (axes, maces and swords all use the same animations), but daggers and fists have their own animations. Maybe that's it?
    Yes, pretty much. It's all about animations. Still, hunters can mog between ragned weapons and all three have a different animaton. Who knows.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Yes, pretty much. It's all about animations. Still, hunters can mog between ragned weapons and all three have a different animaton. Who knows.
    "We dont have the tech" is always hilarious to hear isn't it.
    Want Rogue Gameplay? Subtlety/Assassination Guides? 2v2 3v3 and 1v1 strategies?

http://www.youtube.com/user/SusejFTW

Also SCP Containment Breach, Guild Wars 2, and Diablo 3!

Bandit's Guile is the Zandalari charm as a buff. There's nothing to show the difference between green 0 and green 3 in the UI.

They never have tech for rogues.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Different Animations" is in reference to this weapon has animations for these abilities/attacks and this weapon does not. Anything you can do with a Bow, you can do with a Gun. However, axes do not have an animation for Mutilate, so transmogging an axe onto a dagger wouldn't work. Polearms and Staves should work because anything you can do with a Polearm equipped can also be done with a stave. They're not adding additional animations for this fix. My impression is anything that can be done without an animation overhaul will be available.

Deleted
    Although it's true for daggers, I feel like they could have used axes/swords animations for fist weapons wields who transmogged to axes/swords: it's not like those animations do not exist, and as said something similar already exists for hunters...

Deleted
    Good thing that bows, crossbows and guns have the same animation aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelyn View Post
    However, axes do not have an animation for Mutilate, so transmogging an axe onto a dagger wouldn't work.
    Incorrect. Many of the two handed weapon attacks use the mutilate animation. The animation for mutilate is used by stormstrike, which can in fact happen with axes.

This is just dumb and lazy. All the animations are present, they just don't have the tech to switch them around. This mostly bothers me for fist weapons, because the fist weapons look super unrealistic, whereas at least some of the oversized and useless swords/maces/axes could be threatening without TOO much make believe. Plus there's only a few fists I like the look of, and they itemize fists like crazy. I will be pleased that the axes they put in will be able to be xmogged to the much better looking swords, at least. I was really hoping to be able to xmog fists over to other stuff too. Oh wells.

"Different Animations" is in reference to this weapon has animations for these abilities/attacks and this weapon does not. Anything you can do with a Bow, you can do with a Gun. However, axes do not have an animation for Mutilate, so transmogging an axe onto a dagger wouldn't work.
    Raging blow uses the same animation as mutilate it can be done with axes, swords, maces try again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Raging blow uses the same animation as mutilate it can be done with axes, swords, maces try again.
    I stand corrected... twice. While reading the Patch Notes again to confirm what people said in here discovered something I'd missed in comparison to something GC stated months ago about something off-topic but relevant in my opinion:

In previous expansions, the head enchants from the faction vendors served to force players into specific content. You couldn't even choose which reputation to pursue -- you had to pursue the one with your specific head enchant. Our design intent for Mists of Pandaria is to give players options in how to play, and our previous head enchant design wasn't compatible with that.

and now I read this in the 5.2 PTR patch notes:

Wrathion must know the origin and source of Mogu power, and Azeroth's mightiest heroes will aid the Black Prince in finding out what it is. The search for information will take players into the depths of the Thunder King's Palace, and pit them against trials of perseverance and skill. Along the way, they'll unlock the secrets to a new headgear enchantment, the Crown of the Heavens.

So me having to grind rep with one faction instead of others to get a mandatory helm enchant is now replaced with me having to grind a long, horrible grind of 3 patches worth of "grinding" content to get the same helm enchant. You guys said it right, Blizzard is lazy, stupid, and doesn't learn from their mistakes... they just wait a patch or two before committing the same crap. I am sorry I tried to defend them in this thread. My apologies. :-P

Deleted
    GC has said it's not a head enchant in the terms we used to know. It's something else. Please wait and see. (And you'd probably be foolish to not grind The Black Prince's quest anyway for the awesome rewards it provides.)

Besides, that's a legendary quest. It shouldn't be expected to adhere to the normal rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Incorrect. Many of the two handed weapon attacks use the mutilate animation. The animation for mutilate is used by stormstrike, which can in fact happen with axes.

This is just dumb and lazy. All the animations are present, they just don't have the tech to switch them around. This mostly bothers me for fist weapons, because the fist weapons look super unrealistic, whereas at least some of the oversized and useless swords/maces/axes could be threatening without TOO much make believe. Plus there's only a few fists I like the look of, and they itemize fists like crazy. I will be pleased that the axes they put in will be able to be xmogged to the much better looking swords, at least. I was really hoping to be able to xmog fists over to other stuff too. Oh wells.
    Wrong. Stormstrike has a unique Attack animation, as has Mutilate. Many Mobs use those two often though.

I stand corrected... twice. While reading the Patch Notes again to confirm what people said in here discovered something I'd missed in comparison to something GC stated months ago about something off-topic but relevant in my opinion:

In previous expansions, the head enchants from the faction vendors served to force players into specific content. You couldn't even choose which reputation to pursue -- you had to pursue the one with your specific head enchant. Our design intent for Mists of Pandaria is to give players options in how to play, and our previous head enchant design wasn't compatible with that.

and now I read this in the 5.2 PTR patch notes:

Wrathion must know the origin and source of Mogu power, and Azeroth's mightiest heroes will aid the Black Prince in finding out what it is. The search for information will take players into the depths of the Thunder King's Palace, and pit them against trials of perseverance and skill. Along the way, they'll unlock the secrets to a new headgear enchantment, the Crown of the Heavens.

So me having to grind rep with one faction instead of others to get a mandatory helm enchant is now replaced with me having to grind a long, horrible grind of 3 patches worth of "grinding" content to get the same helm enchant. You guys said it right, Blizzard is lazy, stupid, and doesn't learn from their mistakes... they just wait a patch or two before committing the same crap. I am sorry I tried to defend them in this thread. My apologies. :-P
    Well tbf, same crap different delivery/execution. With wrathion's quest things like grinding valor don't seem too difficult because it's something I already do.. they made it a bit easier this time around being able to get legendary drops in lfr and I kinda like how it's an episodic questline. They also let everyone benefit from it so no one could cry foul about x classes op weapon, my only complaint would be the lack of an animation or vanity with legendaries or an interesting damage proc instead of things like "this magic gem from a dragon prince will give you x amount of stat".

Deleted
    None of our shots or attacks look different with other ranged weapons though. Mutilate, as has been pointed out, has a very different animation that currently only exists with daggers.

I'm all for removing these silly restrictions for every class. But two big 1-handed swords and Mutilate really don't mix.

EDIT:
    Just read the other posts. Mutilate and Storm Strike don't share the same animation. I'm unsure on Raging Blow but that was different as well IIRC.