Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortai2 View Post
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. Your body can't tell the difference. But what High Fructose CORN syrup has that better forms of sugar don't have (for example, coconut sugar, maple sugar) is CORN. And most likely GMO corn.

I try to stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup, corn syrup, partially/fully hydrogenated and fractionated oils, and preservatives like BHT and EDT and all that garbage.

I could go on but I'm willing to bet a very high number of forum-goers here could not care less :P
    What is wrong with corn? Corn is da bess! My state loves corn.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    With so many mixed studies it's really hard to tell exactly what this substance is doing to us. I personally am against it but there're a million studies out their to prove me both correct and incorrect.

So what's you take on it?
    I don't really know what High Fructose Corn Syrup is, but I know that fructose is a type of sugar that is absorbed really fast, you don't even need to swallow it for it to enter your blood, just keep it in the mouth until it's solved by saliva. And based on that, High Fructose Corn Syrup sounds unhealthy.
    Though I do know that corn oil is one of the better fats one can use for cooking. I think.

It might be "nutritionally" the same as cane sugar, but I can tell the difference in food products, as HFCS leaves a nasty film on my teeth (which is why I don't eat it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mortai2 View Post
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. Your body can't tell the difference. But what High Fructose CORN syrup has that better forms of sugar don't have (for example, coconut sugar, maple sugar) is CORN. And most likely GMO corn.

I try to stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup, corn syrup, partially/fully hydrogenated and fractionated oils, and preservatives like BHT and EDT and all that garbage.

I could go on but I'm willing to bet a very high number of forum-goers here could not care less :P

That is not exactly true - Linked to back up this claim:

http://www.naturalnews.com/032281_HFCS_sugar.html

http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Sci...ence-after-all

http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...refined-sugar/

and

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...les.asp?id=486

Everything modern is bad. Look back 500 years when all agriculture was organic and GMO free. People lived so much longer than they do now. The life expectancy of people has steadily decreased since the modern era began and we owe it all to pesticides fertilizers, modern 'medicine' and genetic engineering.

Life was so much better 500 years ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    HFC is bad. simple as that
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Everything modern is bad. Look back 500 years when all agriculture was organic and GMO free. People lived so much longer than they do now. The life expectancy of people has steadily decreased since the modern era began and we owe it all to pesticides fertilizers, modern 'medicine' and genetic engineering.

life expectancy 500 years ago was like in the 30s.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted

Sorry i just have to argue in a constructive manner against this, average life expectancy was 50 years in 1500, which is around 25 years below the current average if we use the USA as an example. and 500 years ago there where no, as you call them, "modern medicines", which means simple illnesses such as flu could be fatal. life was certainly not better 500 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    life expectancy 500 years ago was like in the 30s.
    But that's impossible. People didn't overeat. There were no GMOs or chemical pesticides, and people weren't being pumped full of pharmaceuticals. There certainly wasn't any high fructose corn syrup. If you wanted sugar you had to eat fresh , organic fruits.

So clearly people must have lived longer, healthier lives!

Personally, I feel it is bad for you. From the studies I have read, fructose is metabolized differently from glucose. Apparently, fructose (the crap that's in HFCS, which is in higher quantity than glucose, or else it would be HGCS) messes with your brain, and doesn't register your body being "full", where as glucose will activate those sensors in your brain. Which leads to people overeating, and being diagnosed with diabetes (the fructose). And with HFCS being in EVERYTHING (pretty much), it makes it widespread.

Sugar itself is not bad for you. Your body NEEDS sugar. Just like your body NEEDS fat. But not in excessive amounts, in which fructose has been shown to cause you to comsume it in excess, since you don't feel full and thus eat more until something triggers the sensors in your brain to tell you to stop shoving shit in your mouth.

Oh, and HFCS IS fake sugar. If you need to change the starch (naturally created by the corn) into HFCS (not naturally created by the corn), when sugar is made naturally by other things, that means it is fake. I am sure if someone really wanted to, they could change the starch in potatoes into sugar. Still wouldn't make it true sugar, aka it would be fake sugar.

Deleted
    But that's impossible. People didn't overeat. There were no GMOs or chemical pesticides, and people weren't being pumped full of pharmaceuticals. There certainly wasn't any high fructose corn syrup. If you wanted sugar you had to eat fresh , organic fruits.

So clearly people must have lived longer, healthier lives!
    You're either sarcastic or just very biased in all of this. =p

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    You're either sarcastic or just very biased in all of this. =p
    Well to argue that we're doing it all wrong now,...

10+ Year Old Account

Wahahahahahahahahahaha.... That's a joke right? Life expectancy 500 years ago was about 35 years old. Today it's around ~70. You have no idea what you are talking about.

"What do we call it where we take in a compound that's foreign to your body and only the liver can metabolize it and in the process generates various problems? what do we call that? We call that a... Poison."

Now, I am not a PHD in pediatric endocrinology but Dr Robert Lustig is and he did show the results of metabolizing fructose are toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmoplayer111 View Post
    "What do we call it where we take in a compound that's foreign to your body and only the liver can metabolize it and in the process generates various problems? what do we call that? We call that a... Poison."

Now, I am not a PHD in pediatric endocrinology but Dr Robert Lustig is and he did show the results of metabolizing fructose are toxic.
    so all fruits are poison is what you are telling me, since in a fruit like an apple almost all the sugar in it is fructose?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Gimme splenda or aspartame anyday.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Yes, all fruits have fructose, we actually have made our fruits far more detrimental to our health then nature designed them. The apples we eat now are not how they started out. Apples were originally more like crab apples, very bitter, unsweet and hard as a rock. The same goes for peaches, the origins of the peach were very small in the percentage of fruit to pit, they were not juicy and sweet. Wild non cultivated cherries are known as sour cherries.

We have selectively bred our fruit to be bigger and sweeter then it would be if left to it's own natural process.

Also as an aside, as an omnivore hunter gatherer we would eat a very small amount of fruit, mostly consisting of berries.

Fructose in small amounts is not detrimental to our bodies, the liver can handle it but the issue isn't that, because we don't get it in small amounts. We have fructose in just about every processed food in addition to our supply of fruit being far greater then we would have been able to obtain in a hunter gatherers' yearly consumption.

Avoid foods that didn't exist before the 20th century. HFCS is just more 50's test tube bullshit. Of course it is bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Avoid foods that didn't exist before the 20th century. HFCS is just more 50's test tube bullshit. Of course it is bad for you.
    its from corn, corn has been around for thousands of years.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    its from corn, corn has been around for thousands of years.
    High Fructose corn syrup is a bi-product of corn which has been created through a Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) - so basically it is not natural.