Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lostprophet12 View Post
    Why not just recycle them for the materials?
    They want to make a statement.

* Rolls eyes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BongimusPrime View Post
    Damn, I just lost 5 bucks... At first I thought Sumerian or stylized Phoenician... You know, as someone who once (many, many years ago) had a few of LaVey's Enochian Keys memorized, I probably should have known that. But I can't honestly recall if I ever saw it in a written form. Everything I ever read was in (poorly) transliterated English print. Thanks for the response!
    LaVey's keys had several errors and mistranslations, I tend to be skeptical of his work. The ones I've been studying are work from several collaborated sources, close to the originals, with slight changes. As for Sumerian text, thats a fun one to learn. lol.
    Last edited by Synros; 2013-01-04 at 12:03 AM.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    They want to make a statement.
    The burning is not for a statement, it is to dispose of the now useless waste that is a result of their collection drive. Incineration is a completely normal and standard way to dispose of garbage when the city, town, or other municipality has access to an incinerator. However writer of the article wanted to turn it into something it wasn't and pray on peoples fears and ignorance.

It should have been recycled, in a perfect world, as all recyclable trash should. But any trash is disposed of and making something out of incineration instead of landfill is just stupid.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Its easier to blame games then questioning why a country has to be so obsessed with guns and if parents failed in their duty...its so stupid it hurts me

Deleted
    Makes one wonder why anyone would try to get publicity for their cause by relating it to Hitler.

We'll OP, less informed people will always connect or whatever. I guess its there silly way to show some sort of primitive way of doing something about the problems they see.

Trough as I stated before I dont even care about the school shooting, cause the parents of the kids, may there soul's have peace, we're proboaoly pro-gun themselfs so
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally burning money.

This is pretty nuts. This is actually my home town. We also have a law against silly string. Very stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh god the memories..... the years i spent

stacking blocks

in a futile attempt to make them go away

to repedative russian music

WHY TETRIS WHUY

Deleted
    just out of morbid curiosity here, has anyone ever killed 20+ people with non fire arms,explosive device or any other type of "military stuff" and just do it with a knife,axe, bare hands,spoon,video game,rock music, angry thoughts ect?

LE : Just to clarify a thing or to, this has to be done in a relative same time manner like 20+ people in an hour or two and it has to be like since the 1950s to now

Cause i keep seeing people saying that its not the fault of the guns that get people killed and and if someone wants to kill someone they just up and do it regardless, and im trying to figure out if so much collateral damage can be done without guns

I think its going to be hard to go on a killing spree on a whim and kill 20 people with a knife, sure seems easy to do with an assault rifle

But hey guns are not the problem its the solution, I know!, lets give every man woman and child a gun that way they can work as power equalizers, if it works with nukes ...
    Last edited by mmocd14e23da2c; 2013-01-04 at 11:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The collected items will then be broken and later incinerated by town employees"

Wanna bet, they will keep them and play them through?

On topic, that's utter bullshit. But stupid people will believe stupid arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The burning is not for a statement, it is to dispose of the now useless waste that is a result of their collection drive. Incineration is a completely normal and standard way to dispose of garbage when the city, town, or other municipality has access to an incinerator. However writer of the article wanted to turn it into something it wasn't and pray on peoples fears and ignorance.

It should have been recycled, in a perfect world, as all recyclable trash should. But any trash is disposed of and making something out of incineration instead of landfill is just stupid.
    A collection drive with the specific ideological intent to say "these forms of media should not be viewed, and we'll pay you money if you get rid of them." Separating the collection from the destruction is absurd, since anyone going in knows full well that's the intent. Recycling the media would also not have changed anything. They went into the drive with a very specific intent: convince people to get rid of a specific genre of media that they ideologically disagree with. What is done with the money given out is also irrelevant, as it's still a payoff.

I did read the article. I'm aware that they don't believe they're making a statement, and I"m aware that people have the right to freely assemble and say whatever they want. That doesn't change the fact that this group is using that right to try and convince others that censorship of an entire genre is a good thing. Again, I know that's not what they claim they're doing... but they're only targeting very specific sub-genres of entertainment. That carries an implicit message, whether they intend it or not.

If I stated offering to pay people for their Bibles (or any other religious text, if you don't want to use the Bible here) and made it clear I was going to recycle the Bibles afterward, but said I was only doing this because the Bible can be accessed online for free and the paper would be better used elsewhere, it would still rightfully be perceived as a statement against Christianity. If I modified my drive to collect any book that was freely online, then I could claim I wasn't making a statement.

I am also aware they are saying that parents should have a talk with their children, and only participate if they feel it's the right thing to do. This statement comes following a violent shooting that inspired fear, after statements from the NRA blaming violent media, and after statements by people who are afraid of "young people consumed by violent video games", all of which leave people who don't know any better predisposed to blame the games. The collection was organized and marketed rather brilliantly, actually... they can take the position that they're not lobbying for censorship because it's all completely voluntary, but there's still strong pressures (social and financial) for people to participate. They also didn't go for laws or try to get the products removed from stores, they just relied on the fear generated by the shooting and their financial incentive.

(I am ignoring the fact that if the parents are talking to their kids and deciding these video games aren't appropriate, they probably shouldn't have been purchased in the first place, that being something parents should be aware of.)

The first amendment grants the right of freemdom of speech and the right of freedom of assembly. That means people who say things and hold gatherings whose nature are opposed to the first amendment cannot and should not be arrested or prevented from speaking, hence why my last post didn't say anything about trying to stop the collection from happening, or having them arrested, or saying that they can't say such things. That doesn't mean others can't argue strenuously against such things, and explain why they feel the way they do. Given that, I stand by my original position that this entire drive is about fear-mongering and ignorance. If it weren't, they wouldn't be offering a financial incentive to get people to destroy (excuse me, turn in to be destroyed) violent video games/books/movies, they would simply be encouraging parents to be aware of what their children are doing and decide whether or not it's appropriate material.

In short, even if I could support an event designed to increase awareness of what children are doing, I cannot support an event that does so by offering financial incentives for the destruction of a specific sub-genre of media.
    Edit: This would all be equally applicable in the event of the media being permanently removed from circulation by another mechanism that didn't involve destruction.

Hey guys I have a super splendid awesometastic idea!!

Lets gather up a bunch of cars and burn them, how many people die a year because of drunk drivers/accidents?!!!11
    Lets gather up alcohol and burn it while we're on the topic of drunk drivers.
    Might as well throw in cigarettes too, lets burn those too. How many people die a year from smoking?
    But wait there's more, why don't we burn down swimming pools and beachfronts, how many people die a year from drowning??!?!11

NAHHHHHHH lets burn video games broskis, you know, those terrible terrible things that "cause" less deaths a year then people tripping or falling down stairs????!!!!!?!!?!?

Let's burn walking.

Let's..

im done.

I'm ashamed to be a part of the human race.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiouslol View Post
    Hey guys I have a super splendid awesometastic idea!!

Lets gather up a bunch of cars and burn them, how many people die a year because of drunk drivers/accidents?!!!11
    Lets gather up alcohol and burn it while we're on the topic of drunk drivers.
    Might as well throw in cigarettes too, lets burn those too. How many people die a year from smoking?
    But wait there's more, why don't we burn down swimming pools and beachfronts, how many people die a year from drowning??!?!11

NAHHHHHHH lets burn video games broskis, you know, those terrible terrible things that "cause" less deaths a year then people tripping or falling down stairs????!!!!!?!!?!?

Let's burn walking.

Let's..

im done.

I'm ashamed to be a part of the human race.
    Don't worry. You don't stray too far away from the phase where you refuse to believe that you take part of the human race itself. It feels refreshing.