Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It's just a confirmation bias.

You only notice streaks of good RNG when they occur which causes you to believe there's some hidden mechanic that causes that streak to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    EDIT: Also, if you flip a coin ten times, you have the same chance to see HHHHHHHHHH as you do HTHTHTHTHT
    This definitely is not true.

You have an equal chance to get heads or tails on each flip, but the likelihood of flipping the exact thing 10 times in a row is *very* small.

People love finding patterns where there are none. Obsess about it enough, and you're insane. Extrapolating causality from a sample size of two isn't logical or mathematically sound.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post

You have an equal chance to get heads or tails on each flip, but the likelihood of flipping the exact thing 10 times in a row is *very* small.
    Someone should have read the chapter on combinatorics after they finished probability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post

Yes... and so is the chance of flipping HTHTHTHTHT
    The chances of flipping HTHTHTHTHT and HHHHHHHHHH are both an identical value of *very* small
    They're also identical to the chances of flipping HHHHHTTTTT and HHHTTTHHTT

To whomever finds the "secret button," let's go to Vegas and we'll find the "secret button" they use on the slot machines there.

Also, is there a secret button on women as well? ::dodges tomatoes::

It seems obvious that there is a secret button.

I don't know... but i have a lot of friends farming Glaives or Thunderfury without luck, but last week\timer 3 of them got glaives and i got a binding... Christmas 'bonus' on drop chances?

Why would Blizz purposefully add something exploitable?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Blizz has a lucky button...the gold charms for loot. People bitched that they're hard to get as a casual. People bitched that they're hard to get as a badcore. People bitched that they only ever give gold. People bitched that they don't give you PVP gear (even if they do on Sha).

I cannot fathom the amount of bitching you'd get from a 'luck button'.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Actually, this has been discussed with my friends many times.

Basically for many years and because the internet was and is really slow to evolve here in Greece, net cafes were and still are a very serious trend here which means i have seen lots and lots of different people play every game that i might have played, you can understand in 8 years of WoW how many different people i have seen (Different net cafes also, not only one since then).

Ever since 2005 when WoW launched we have noticed this exact pattern:

The least active those that quit and restart all the time, pretty much get everything rare or that fits their character fastest than anyone.

Sure, the first time its luck....the second time..the 10th its simply not luck, the game simply rewards some people better than others.

It simply does not seem as RNG every single time some random casual that hasnt touched the game for a year, decides to re-sub, runs 5 dungeons, gets 100% of the loot he needs in the first run of every boss + a rare mount out of nowhere, that someone more active has been farming for the last year.

My opinion at least..It happens way too often to be a "coincidence", over the last few years, the least active players in this net cafes that i randomly hang out, would get the rarest mount/items before anyone else, while the no-life run the instance whenever possible would never get it.

I know of better ways for items.

I've been farming so many mounts over the years... And I don't have 1. Not 1 single mount that I've been farming. And I do everything that I can everyday/week.

People say RNG is RNG, but the fact that I have yet to see any mount drop of any sort just flusters me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurushockin View Post
    I've been farming so many mounts over the years... And I don't have 1. Not 1 single mount that I've been farming. And I do everything that I can everyday/week.

People say RNG is RNG, but the fact that I have yet to see any mount drop of any sort just flusters me.
    Unlucky's not the same as impossible.
    It'd be more unlikely that there were no people that didn't get what they wanted.
    I understand that it is frustrating... but it is definitely still RNG. It is just hard for people to wrap their heads around random numbers so they make up stupid excuses and look for patterns that do not exist.

No, there's no "luck button". But when there's 10 million players, some of them are going to get lucky more often than others. Just like how most people never win the lottery but a few do. If you were to design a bell-curve of people's loot winnings, the vast majority would reflect expected results, and there'd be a few out-liers of both extremely lucky and extremely unlucky people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always thought this. My experience was after when I was hacked and after I got my items back/finished with talking to the GM, within the hour I recieved the White Hawkstrider and the Sea turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Spirit View Post
    If you read my post you'll see I said it was just coincidence! The question was placed to the forum on their thoughts!

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 11:27 PM ----------

The blue drake drops in 10 man malygos! No need to run lfd oculus!
    10,270 wowhead hits say you are wrong... never dropped in 10 man malygos

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    10,270 wowhead hits say you are wrong... never dropped in 10 man malygos
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=43953/re...nts:id=1514525
    http://i.imgur.com/pv3gW.jpg
    :?

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Actually, this has been discussed with my friends many times.

Basically for many years and because the internet was and is really slow to evolve here in Greece, net cafes were and still are a very serious trend here which means i have seen lots and lots of different people play every game that i might have played, you can understand in 8 years of WoW how many different people i have seen (Different net cafes also, not only one since then).

Ever since 2005 when WoW launched we have noticed this exact pattern:

The least active those that quit and restart all the time, pretty much get everything rare or that fits their character fastest than anyone.

Sure, the first time its luck....the second time..the 10th its simply not luck, the game simply rewards some people better than others.

It simply does not seem as RNG every single time some random casual that hasnt touched the game for a year, decides to re-sub, runs 5 dungeons, gets 100% of the loot he needs in the first run of every boss + a rare mount out of nowhere, that someone more active has been farming for the last year.

My opinion at least..It happens way too often to be a "coincidence", over the last few years, the least active players in this net cafes that i randomly hang out, would get the rarest mount/items before anyone else, while the no-life run the instance whenever possible would never get it.
    You are correct. 50% of the people will always be rewarded more than the other 50% of the people. That is exactly how RNG works.

I am not going to do the math, but if 10 million people have killed 200 raid bosses.. there is a really really high chance that many of those 10 million people have never seen a drop. There is also probably a few people who have had every single raid boss kill drop loot for them.

There will ALWAYS be a bunch of people who are extremely lucky, and a bunch of people who are extremely unlucky. However, if an extremely lucky person and an extremely unlucky person do a raid together, kill a boss.. both of those people have the exact same chance of receiving loot.. If you flip a fair coin 9 times and it comes up heads each time.. the tenth flip is STILL 50-50.

yea good loot always seems to come in pairs

I think it happens more right before your sub runs out or when your on a resub/trial