Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

BLizzard disabling ilvl upgrades in 5.2 - What GC really ment to say ?

Players have been doing the math on the ilvl system over the past few days and most come to the conclution that it will simply not work as catch up mechanic. BLizzard will have to overtune most of the 5.2 content to give the few ppl that have best gear + most possible ilvl upgrades some challenge. That means that content is even further away from most normal players and Blizzard needs to nerf content more than ever to allow those to take part later on.

I was reading topic from CG where he said that BLizzard might disable ilvl upgrade system in 5.2. Most of the players probably think that means they will just not allow players to upgrade their gear. But I think he was actually saying that Blizzard is thinking of totally removing the ilvl upgrade bonus from all gear. Pretty much a rollback and ppl will loose all their upgrades they used with their Valor points. Sounds crazy ? Yes... but still very possible.

So basicly - when 5.2 hits it might mean that every item will be rolled back to orginal ilvl without the ilvl upgrade. That is actually the ONLY way that BLizzard can lower the gap between the best geared vs the normal playerbase and keep the raid content balanced for both groups.

Either way. Ilvl upgrade system is probably the worst idea BLizzard has ever put into WOW. Its pretty much like every new system or changed system that came in with MOP. It was an idea that wasn't really thought through and will eventually lead to more issues than what it was ment to solve.
    Last edited by Duster505; 2013-01-04 at 01:48 PM.

Deleted
    Or maybe they just make the normal mode bosses easy enough.

Deleted
    if they do that, i want my valor back.

Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    if they do that, i want my valor back.
    Thats exactly why I want to point this out now cause the backlash might be huge if they are foced into doing this to balance the content. But looking at it from a ilvl perspective they will have to overtune the content so much or add so huge ilvl inflation to the new gear that it becomes even worse than ever before.

But like I said - just another bad system that they didn't really think through.

Deleted
    Change your title. It's not 'what GC really meant', but what YOU THINK he really meant. Worlds of difference.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    Players have been doing the math on the ilvl system over the past few days and most come to the conclution that it will simply not work as catch up mechanic.

Stopped right there. As this is not meant as a catch up mechanic. Nor will it have any effect on tuning. It is just another way to progress your gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was up to me, I'd just limit the system to weapons, shields and offhands only.
    Maybe include rings and necks with that. Trinkets and capes, perhaps. These aren't as quickly replaced.

But all armor? You replace that relativly quick-like, and even if you don't, it's not as tangible as, say, ugrading a trinket's proc's numbers.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Stopped right there. As this is not meant as a catch up mechanic. Nor will it have any effect on tuning. It is just another way to progress your gear.
    No - Blizzard has already stated this system is intented to prevent them having to nerf the content by 30% like they have in the last 2 expansion to guaranty normal progression.

I don't think its a matter of not being thought through properly, there are some things that you can't determine the end result without putting it into effect. On paper upgrading gear with valor looks great but in practice it might be a whole other deal.

Personally I liked that I could upgrade a 476 BOA staff with my mage alts valor and then send it as a 484 to my main warlock because I have been hitting Terrace LFR since it opened and even though there are 3 bosses that drop 484+ sha weapons and I have used coins on each one of them every week I have yet to get one and I need that level of purple to stay competetive in DPS.

It worked as a stop gap savior from the RNG but I wouldnt use it on anything but the best BIS items I could get my hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    Change your title. It's not 'what GC really meant', but what YOU THINK he really meant. Worlds of difference.
    Its still the only viable explenation on what "disabling" ilvl upgrades really means.

10+ Year Old Account
    No - Blizzard has already stated this system is intented to prevent them having to nerf the content by 30% like they have in the last 2 expansion to guaranty normal progression.
    Wrong... it's meant as a VP dump for the raiders who have nothing to spend their points on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    Heroics are heroics for a reason.. if you cant do heroics, you cant raid.. its the proper path...
    ...Blizzard has gone the mile and added LFR for those people, but nerfing normal and hc modes is just plain stupid. The Burning Legion didn't get pushed back by lining up a thousand arcane mages spamming AB. It took work work work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    If it was up to me, I'd just limit the system to weapons, shields and offhands only.
    Maybe include rings and necks with that. Trinkets and capes, perhaps. These aren't as quickly replaced.

But all armor? You replace that relativly quick-like, and even if you don't, it's not as tangible as, say, ugrading a trinket's proc's numbers.
    Yes - I think there should be limit of 2 maybe 3 items that can be upgraded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right. this is not a next patch catch up mechanic. It will have no effect on the tuning of the next tier.

Catch up mechanics are for when the next tier comes out people don't have to raid the previous to.... catch up.

So where exactly is this topic where he mentions that they might remove ilvl upgrades? cause that seems pretty ridiculous

It seems to me the problem is players in heroic gear using the ilvl upgrade system rather than those doing normals or LFR using the ilvl upgrade system. Just remove the upgrade off the Heroic gear or dont allow Heroic gear to be upgraded more than once. Then when a new tier comes out heroic geared raids will blow through normals as usual and still have normal progression speed through heroics.

And those that upgraded their normal gear will have a bit easier progression through normals of the next tier but not as faceroll as those with heroic gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    Wrong... it's meant as a VP dump for the raiders who have nothing to spend their points on.
    Its not a dump if BLizzard is forced to tune the next tier of raids extra 8 ilvls for those 0.01% of the playerbase that wants challenge. And those 0.01% have the best gear cause they are now just farming Valor for upgrades on heroic gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    I have to agree with Lios please change your title as it is misleading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not a dump if BLizzard is forced to tune the next tier of raids extra 8 ilvls for those 0.01% of the playerbase that wants challenge. And those 0.01% have the best gear cause they are now just farming Valor for upgrades on heroic gear.
    They are not tuning the next tier based on ilvl upgrades. They have even said so themselves.

Do the balance the next normal tier around the heroic from last tier? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    It seems to me the problem is players in heroic gear using the ilvl upgrade system rather than those doing normals or LFR using the ilvl upgrade system. Just remove the upgrade off the Heroic gear or dont allow Heroic gear to be upgraded more than once. Then when a new tier comes out heroic geared raids will blow through normals as usual and still have normal progression speed through heroics.

And those that upgraded their normal gear will have a bit easier progression through normals of the next tier but not as faceroll as those with heroic gear.
    Ye - I think they might have to be forced to remove the ilvl upgrade system from heroic gear.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    They are not tuning the next tier based on ilvl upgrades. They have even said so themselves.
    Yes - because they are thinking of disabling the system.

I do not normally log in to reply to comments, but when I do it is because someone is blasting what they want to see and not what is actually going on.

First- It is to prevent content from being nerfed. Not so people can catch up. Gear naturally makes pass raids easier and that is what their idea was about. If you have the ILVL to do the next tiers LFR then you are more than capable of doing the normal modes. If that gear doesn't suffice to dropping a boss, then blizzard ALSO said that it could just be the skill lvl of your GROUP. Gear can't fix everything.

Second- Ilvl upgrades does not matter for normal modes. It is for HEROIC modes and for people to progress through there without taking the actual difficulty of boss fights down so players can still enjoy a decent challenge with a MINOR ilvl increase. Normal modes can be cleared with LFR loot, and heroic blues.

I really don't gear where you got 'catch up' with raid nerfs. Nerfing content was intended so everyone can experience the end.... LFR loot helps most Normal mode guilds do just that. Where as most heroic modes need that little ilvl buff to help. And the actual hardcore player base do not want to see the content nerfed directly, but buffing the players slightly is actually more thought out than pass expansions where they just blanket nerf the content and take away the special snowflake feeling.