Deleted

Questions after initial impressions

Ok, so I'm sure these have been asked before, but after playing the game to level 10 so far I've got some questions:

* Did this game feel anything like Warhammer Online to anyone else in terms of feel/questing?
    * Did the slight lack of polish put you off at all initially? - example, the Gem store menu system looks like it was done in an hour and approved by a child.
    * Why can't you view other players profiles to see what gear they have? - I don't want to have to link everything in chat.
    * Why are the 'Vista' type mini quests heavily mentioned (arguable) and clearly shown on the map only to offer dreadful XP.
    * Does the game continue to feel a bit simple in terms of what abilities are available at later levels? - example, I'm playing a Thief using a Pistol/Dagger - I'm using two buttons, if things are slightly tricky 4 buttons.
    * In PVP when you die after the downed status, do you need to repair?

Thanks

1) Didn't play Warhammer, but considering they tried to do the same thing with "walk along questing" or whatever, I imagine it's similar.

2) Not sure what you mean, the Gem Store's polish is pretty far down on my list of "things I care about."

3) Maybe suggest it to them? I do believe they're working on an "armory-esque" system.

4) Vista's aren't mini-quests, they're Vistas and just for world completion achievements.

5) Doesn't change much, unless you vary your weapons consistently, key is more to do with chaining abilities, keeping up boons and conditions and if in a group, playing to the group's benefit and your own with combo fields etc.

6) Death in WvW can break armor, no idea about sPvP.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarah View Post
    Ok, so I'm sure these have been asked before, but after playing the game to level 10 so far I've got some questions:

* Did this game feel anything like Warhammer Online to anyone else in terms of feel/questing?
    * Did the slight lack of polish put you off at all initially? - example, the Gem store menu system looks like it was done in an hour and approved by a child.
    * Why can't you view other players profiles to see what gear they have? - I don't want to have to link everything in chat.
    * Why are the 'Vista' type mini quests heavily mentioned (arguable) and clearly shown on the map only to offer dreadful XP.
    * Does the game continue to feel a bit simple in terms of what abilities are available at later levels? - example, I'm playing a Thief using a Pistol/Dagger - I'm using two buttons, if things are slightly tricky 4 buttons.

Thanks
    1. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the lead devs actually worked on warhammer online, so not a big surprise there.

2. The gem store is my last worry. I am confused by the lack of polish in the auction house though. You can't sort for shit and don't even have the option to preview gear.

3. I think this ties in with the auction house problem, they released before it was "ready".

4. Mini quests? They are just simple walk up and click on it and get a few xp. Wasn't this something they added just months before the game released?

5. Yes, the abilities stay like that the whole game. It feels like you just wait on cds as every other class. Thief actually has the best game play in terms of abilities imo.

6. I don't think so. I couldn't get into the conquest over and over and over, so didn't play too many matches months ago.

I haven't played that, so I can't say anything, but I've heard a few people talking about it.
    Not really. If you gave more examples maybe. They had their share of problems with the Trading Post, but I think it's mostly gone, I've spent quite a bit with Gems so far and I have never even had a problem.
    This is intentional. You can't see what people have, and you shouldn't have to do so. But if you really want to know, you can link on chat. I think that's awesome since the game doesn't go the "Recount" way. Everyone does what thinks is best, contributing the way they feel like it, without having to worry of people whispering "Hey, you are doing it wrong".
    You don't have to do them, I love them and do it every time. But it does count towards map completion, which I think it's needed for achievement, titles and the legendary weapon.
    This game is different, its an fast paced action combat game. While your "1" will be "main use" the rest are situational skills, best used in the right moments. Giving the feeling of a duel, dodging and using the right skills at the right time is the key. It won't progress much larger than that. As a thief you will have 5 skills from the first weapon set (pistol/dagger it seems), then the 5 skills for the second weapon set (let's just say shortbow here) the heal, 3 utilities and 1 elite. Besides that only the steal mechanic.

So, the thing is to match the weapons sets, traits, sigils, runes, heal, utility and elite the best way it suits your style of game. Aoe, single, support, or a mix of those.

Thanks
    sPvP everything (gear, respec, sigil, runes) will be free to mix and match. Try it out on the server browser and if you like it go to tournaments for a more serious play. There is no repair even if you die.

On WvW tho if you die, you will need to repair.

Thief will continue being mostly about spamming auto-attack + one damage skill. It's one of the simplest classes, though, and the gameplay hardly changes at later levels. There are classes with more complicated keypress sequences but fighting one mob at a time will be extremely simple with all classes.

I've found thief leveling a lot of fun by pulling as many mobs at a time as I can and trying to survive it by smart use of blinds and dodges (the only thing that really changes a lot in thief gameplay with higher traits) or using the shortbow. But yes, the damage "rotation" will be incredibly simple and more or less the same at level 80.

1. Not really. Hearts are only alike to PQs in that they are static. WAR had traditional questing.

GW2 has hearts, personal story and DEs. Hearts are not even the primary leveling device. DEs are main thrust of the game w/ PS as incremental, linear quests.

2. Somewhat. Though I wouldn't say it put me off. I am familiar with the last 4 games Arena.net created. The company has never been keen on creating super duper secondary systems.

I was surprised that GW2 is regressive in many facets from the first 4 Guild Wars games. Guild Wars 2 is extremely clumsy compared to the more robust and better designed MMOs on the market currently.

3. Gear inspection has no relevance in a game which is neither stat driven or competitive outside of PVP. In PVP it would be cheating.

4. They are not quests. Just fun stuff.

5. What you do at level 1 is what you do at level 80. Guild Wars until recently does not have bimodal gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    3. Gear inspection has no relevance in a game which is neither stat driven or competitive outside of PVP. In PVP it would be cheating.
    It's even more important when gear is mostly looks. I see a cool looking set, I want to know what it is. Sure, sometimes you can ask people, but whispering random people in Lion's Arch is unlikely to insipire a lot of replies when it means they'd have to link all their stuff to you.

Not to mention I want to have an answer when people ask what I'm wearing and I can't really be bothered linking everything every time someone asks.

Thanks
    1. I played Warhamer at launch, but it used a traditional quest system along with public quests. The difference is events aren't always running and don't have the long phases. I feel a sense of urgency with these...I have to get over there or it might not be back up for awhile. It is a bit different with tagging mobs giving full xp to people too...you like seeing other players instead of dreading it.

2. I really wish I could mail things to my alt rather than using a shared bank system, but overall, I haven't found this to be a huge problem. At first I didn't know there was a deposit all collectibles button. Perhaps, I am a bit of a noob, but I find myself star struck seeing a game with really modern graphics.

3. I really haven't cared what other people are wearing. Back, when I played EQ1, I was one of the first necromancers on my server to get the epic quest weapon. (It looked like a duck stick.) But anyway, whenever a person would come up and quack at me, I was delighted to talk to them about it and everything in great detail. I don't think it is a bad thing for people in an mmo to be required to talk to each other. If you can't be bothered to do that, then you don't care about a look enough. I know for WoW, there's tons of transmog sites...probably wouldn't be hard to find whatever for GW as well.

4. I am only level 17, but I've been slowly moving through each zone completing everything that is offered. I really haven't been watching my xp bar as much as I have been cruising with the storyline and checking out the zones. So I really can't answer this question.

5. I actually have felt a bit overwhelmed. I came in thinking 10 buttons...I have a billion totems in WoW, this will be easy. Instead, I've learned I have 2 sets of 5 with weapon swapping, and then 5 more after that and then there's traits which seem really confusing compared to talents even. On my elementalist it is even worse though! Then I have 25 different buttons, and most pretty fast. I think at level 5, it is 15 for the elements I've unlocked and 2 others. I really haven't tried a rogue or anything, but with my two casters, I've been pretty busy trying to keep everything straight with different weapons and offhands...and let's not even talk about going underwater. I am still trying to get a grip on my warrior can use a rifle and do decent damage. I haven't tried a rogue yet, lack of character slots is making me choose what characters I want to try the most.

6. I really haven't pvped since I am only 17 on my highest character.

1) Never played Warhammer Online.

2) Still haven't used the gem store for anything else but a bank expansion, no opinion on it's level of polish.

3) I have no idea. I'm surprised it isn't possible (I barely ever put any focus on what other people have).

4) They're just tiny puzzles for giggles and achis, not quests.

5) My thief is only lvl20ish, but at that point in the game I usually end up dead if I just spam a couple of buttons (could be just me being bad). I reckon most MMO's don't give you a whole lot of abilities by level 10 - once you open up weapon swaps and more skill slots it should get more complex, though I don't think you'll ever get a traditional rotation. My elementalist main has to go through considerable micro management of different spells in different schools to be as effective as possible, and sometimes to just survive.

6) Don't know.

Deleted

Its different questing but has a nice flow like it had in WAR for me

uhm. the trading post would need some more love (searching for armor types!) but the Gem Store looks perfectly fine to me

because you dont need to see other players profiles

just dont watch on your XP bar. Play the game, have fun while doing fun things. i love the vistas and jumping puzzles and never cared about the XP or loot in the chests

i must say it really depends on the gear and in what kind of place you are. having lvl 50 gear while beeing lvl 60 in a lvl 60-62 region can hurt you badly. but my thief is still lvl 3, doing WvW with his Shortbow :3

WvW yes, sPvP no
    *waves & runs away*
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-04 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woebegone View Post
    5) My thief is only lvl20ish, but at that point in the game I usually end up dead if I just spam a couple of buttons (could be just me being bad).
    Have you upgraded your gear? Gear is everything in this game while leveling. At level 80 you can mostly ignore the defense stat on gear but while leveling you become super squishy fast if you outlevel your gear.

On my thief, I've been buying the Strong set of green gear (the one from drops with the runes built-in, not the crafted gear that's a ton more expensive), it's so cheap that I get most of my money back vendoring it once I upgrade again. That's not available for every level but you don't need a new set every level anyway.

I reckon most MMO's don't give you a whole lot of abilities by level 10 - once you open up weapon swaps and more skill slots it should get more complex,
    You have everything you'll ever need as a leveling Thief at level 10 (weapon swaps are unlocked, too, traits are the only big thing left). I use sword/pistol or pistol/pistol depending on mood (with shortbow on swap for aoe and kiting if I want to try to solo a champion or something). Take Signet of Malice.

Now, almost everything will just die to spamming button 3 on them (lots of damage + good healing in one button). If you meet a tricky veteran or a large group in a tight space that would kill you faster than you can kill them with button 3 spam, you instead start spamming button 5 (the aoe blind) at them while just autoattacking. Pretty much every tough non-champion mob that's not blind immune just dies to button 5 blind spam + autoattack with no danger whatsoever to the thief.

It gets even better once you get traits that give you better initiative income.

My elementalist main has to go through considerable micro management of different spells in different schools to be as effective as possible, and sometimes to just survive.
    And it's still nowhere near as good at killing leveling stuff as a thief using 1 button + autoattack. Just use button 3 for killing speed, button 5 for mobs that actually hit hard, and never waste initiative on any other buttons.

Not really... then again I played War a good while back and not for a very long.

Yeah it isn't great... but meh, there are many, much larger fish to fry. Which means this is likely to be addressed first.

One of many common MMORPG features that did not make it into release. Covered up by an excuse that (like many other things) the game should be more casual and you shouldn't be judged/embarassed by gear, or go down that lovely gearscore path. Okay on second thought I'm glad this isn't in.

Vistas were added after the beta weekends started, and were just an additional way to show off the lovely scenery in many areas of the game. You shouldn't be looking at them as a miniquest. Several highlight harder jumping puzzles as well. Just enjoy the cinematic the first time, then skip and take your 2% towards map completion on your alts!

Honestly I don't find it simple at all. The combat for all classes is less about a rotation and more about using your abilities effectively. That said, having played most of the classes to 80 the Thief is very unique in this regard due to the initiative mechanic. Try another class if you find it simple and you'll see the difference. Otherwise mix up your weapons/utilities/traits and you'll see how much your playstyle changes. You don't need 30 abilities available if you only really use 4 of them anyway (or you can just play an elementalist trollololol!).

In structured PvP (sPvP/tPvP) no. In WvW you will take armor damage normally, unless you die from falling damage (exact same as PvE). Structured PvP you use a completely separate set of gear anyway, while in PvE and WvW you use the same set.

Quote Originally Posted by Woebegone View Post
    My thief is only lvl20ish, but at that point in the game I usually end up dead if I just spam a couple of buttons (could be just me being bad). I reckon most MMO's don't give you a whole lot of abilities by level 10 - once you open up weapon swaps and more skill slots it should get more complex, though I don't think you'll ever get a traditional rotation. My elementalist main has to go through considerable micro management of different spells in different schools to be as effective as possible, and sometimes to just survive.
    What I've noticed is several professions have random leveling periods where they are absolutely miserable, somewhere between level 1 and 30. You'll hit like a wet noodle, and get downed after being flicked in the arm. Elementalist was particularly terrible in this regard, an absolute garbage profession until I could pump 10+ trait points into toughness or vitality trees. I had the same issue with my thief around level 20. They just don't scale well, and you don't have the utilities or traits to make up for the shortfall. I've heard it happens with Warriors too but I didn't seem to notice...
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-01-04 at 04:47 PM.

Deleted
    I'll see how it goes from 10-20 I guess.

I'll see how it goes from 10-20 I guess.
    Heh I forgot you were only level 10 midway through my response. Once you throw weapon switching in and start building traits/utilities it will get much more interesting. Regardless, combat will always be a bit more simplistic and definitely more situational for a Thief than it is for other professions due to initiative.

Thief was my 5th profession to 80 and TBH is now one of my favorites. Oh and that's after absolutely despising them when I first tried them out during a BWE.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-01-04 at 04:53 PM.

Thief is a pretty simple class, skills wise. But it's one that has everything to do with movement. If you don't move, you are the squishiest class in the game. If you want to play something with more skills at your disposal, try the elementalist (it has become my favorite class due to all of the attunement switching).