Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    It's also noteworthy that the best deterrents for intruders are not guns, but dogs, lights, alarm systems, darkened/shuttered windows, and the like... guns are only to protect you from those that are not deterred by other defenses. If you have an alarm system go off, or you can hear things like a window or door breaking open from your room, you're going to have plenty of time to open your safe and respond. Robbers and such do not teleport into your toom.
    This is true. I actually feel safer that my dogs are in bed with us at night 'cause I know they'll alert me to things long before I'd actually wake up to that stuff. They're excellent guard dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    There was a recent article about a man shooting someone who had broken into his home, was naked, and strangling the home owner's dog. Perhaps he could have called the police and waited for them to arrive. Perhaps he could have scared the intruder off. Or perhaps they were drugged out of their mind and would have attacked him and eaten his face off.

I dunno that it's easy to dismiss and say there's no such thing as a need for a gun for self defense. I don't own one myself. Then again, I've also spent the night in a lesser reputable apt complex with the door unlocked multiple times and left my house unlocked overnight by accident a few times with no ill result. I live life on the edge. Rawr.

Alternative to a safe that I saw suggested and was amused by:

Keep your gun on the nightstand, disassembled and be capable of assembling and having ready to fire, in the dark, in under 8 seconds.
    killing an intruder can be done easily without a gun.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Burglars better fear you and your frosted flakes.
    Damn right they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Just where do you live that you have to steal frosted flakes?
    I don't steal them, I just like midnight snacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    There was a recent article about a man shooting someone who had broken into his home, was naked, and strangling the home owner's dog. Perhaps he could have called the police and waited for them to arrive. Perhaps he could have scared the intruder off. Or perhaps they were drugged out of their mind and would have attacked him and eaten his face off while out of their mind on something.

I dunno that it's easy to dismiss and say there's no such thing as a need for a gun for self defense. I don't own one myself. Then again, I've also spent the night in a lesser reputable apt complex with the door unlocked multiple times and left my house unlocked overnight by accident a few times with no ill result. I live life on the edge. Rawr.

Alternative to a safe that I saw suggested and was amused by:

Keep your gun on the nightstand, disassembled and be capable of assembling and having ready to fire, in the dark, in under 8 seconds.
    There was also a recent article about a man in Sacramento who shot 4 people, two of whom died, on New Years Eve because crazy.

See Dar this is just going to become another gun control thread...I didn't even need to say anything.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have several safes, for various reasons... the one that takes the longest for me to open takes all of 8 seconds to retrieve and open. That time frame is very unlikely to be a factor between life or death.

It's also noteworthy that the best deterrents for intruders are not guns, but dogs, lights, alarm systems, darkened/shuttered windows, and the like... guns are only to protect you from those that are not deterred by other defenses. If you have an alarm system go off, or you can hear things like a window or door breaking open from your room, you're going to have plenty of time to open your safe and respond. Robbers and such do not teleport into your toom.
    The last guy who tried to rob me was a mage. Your argument is invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Guns very rarely comes to play when people are getting robbed. Simply people don't expect visitors and don't have the time to react. Having a gun in the house doesn't make any difference 99 % of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Takes me 10 seconds from my bed to having a loaded weapon out of my gunsafe. The only people I fear are the fucking SAS.
    Takes me about 1 second to pull my gun off the nightstand and be ready to play, then again I have no kids, have (and arm) my security system and have 2 (albeit small and yipee) dogs. I have no problem leaving my guns out, loaded and ready. I keep one next to the front door, one in the office and one besides my bed all loaded at all times.

All that being said I live in the south (USA) in a very gun happy, redneck neighborhood, crime doesn't happen here for the simple fact that anyone with common sense knows all the houses in my neighborhood have weapons in them.

it wasn't me I swear!
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemahn View Post
    I don't steal them, I just like midnight snacks!
    The true midnight snacker is capable of making mac n cheese from scratch, cleaning up the cooking equipment, and returning to his room without alerting a soul.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Takes me about 1 second to pull my gun off the nightstand and be ready to play, then again I have no kids, have (and arm) my security system and have 2 (albeit small and yipee) dogs. I have no problem leaving my guns out, loaded and ready. I keep one next to the front door, one in the office and one besides my bed all loaded at all times.
    If you can't afford a safe, you can't afford a gun. Period.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The true midnight snacker is capable of making mac n cheese from scratch, cleaning up the cooking equipment, and returning to his room without alerting a soul.
    My Da's a very light sleeper. He'd smell it and wake up. Best I can do is pasta and fresh Parmesan so it melts on the pasta.

This makes me think you live in fear of violence 24x7.

On a side note: What happens if someone breaks in and finds your gun by the door?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zuluslayer View Post
    Guns very rarely comes to play when people are getting robbed. Simply people don't expect visitors and don't have the time to react. Having a gun in the house doesn't make any difference 99 % of the time.
    facts to back those claims up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemahn View Post
    My Da's a very light sleeper. He'd smell it and wake up. Best I can do is pasta and fresh Parmesan so it melts on the pasta.
    You must hone your skills, grasshopper.

Quote Originally Posted by WarFalcon1 View Post

On a side note: What happens if someone breaks in and finds your gun the the door?
    alarm will go off and the robber gets a free gun.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's what happens when you give your room's teleport information to anyone with breasts and a pulse!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarFalcon1 View Post

On a side note: What happens if someone breaks in and finds your gun the the door?
    I don't live in fear that's the point, if they broke in they'd have a deafening alarm going off, two dogs barking and the cops called because of the alarm system. I guess the same thing that would happen as if they broke in and stole your watch, they'd take it and you'd get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    While I agree with the premise of the argument of being responsible, I would like to ask a simple question with regard to this statement:

Whats the point in having a gun for self defense if you have to open a safe to access it when the burglar is already in your house? Those precious moments / minutes it would take you to open your safe (quietly so the intruder doesn't hear you opening it) could mean the difference between life and death.

Just some food for thought.
    As soon as your kid finds the gun in the hiding spot you think they cannot get to it and shoots themselves or a friend then post about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's what happens when you give your room's teleport information to anyone with breasts and a pulse!
    < Is gay. Your argument is invalid part deux.

You must hone your skills, grasshopper.
    Yes, sensei.

I don't live in fear that's the point, if they broke in they'd have a deafening alarm going off, two dogs barking and the cops called because of the alarm system. I guess the same thing that would happen as if they broke in and stole your watch, they'd take it and you'd get another one.
    Except my watch can't assist in mass murders.