Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    As a new warlock, and new caster, having played melee/tank since TBC I'd like to thank you all for the tips, and I'd welcome and further tips, but I ask you to remember that I have not been a warlock very long, I dinged 90 on the 17th of December, having played only 5 days to get there. So my knowledge of warlock is improving daily and I'm definitely prone to making mistakes.

I'm changing my gemming this weekend towards mastery, as my gear is now at the level where mastery is better, Askmrrobot's hit focused weights were the fault of my reforges, which are being changed - I now have the haste requirement mentioned by dropping me hit to 11.5%, which will drop again on sunday if that trinket mentioned above doesn't drop.

So far, I'd say I've geared quickly but the loot dropping for me isn't always the best, Weapon and trinket drops primarily are never dropping the ones I need for affliction, and if they do, someone else wins them. I understand that my rep is lower than it should be as I've not been able to do 25 dailies every day due to work + christmas/new year (which I was ill over) although, even if it was higher I doubt I'd have the valor points to make use of it.

I'd rather not spec to destro, I enjoy affliction and I just need time, comparing me to an experiences warlock in what ever gear isn't technically fair. I'd also like tips on addons and interface, my interface is a mess currently and I can never find the addons that work well for me, but with some of the suggestions here, I'm getting closer to a comfortable setup.

I'm not making excuses for my DPS, and blaming it on gear, I know I'm making mistakes mainly due to me not finding any useful guides that actually describe what's going on rather than do this do that, not one guide mentioned what to use to refresh dots, how to refresh dots with procs, (not that I get many procs with just tailoring cloak enchant) or how to correctly manage Haunt, I felt like the guides available expected you to have played warlock previously and know somewhat what you are doing.

So thank you for the tips, It'll take some practice to get used to the addons and perfecting the rotation or when to refresh dots or when to use haunt, and all the other tips as I said, I'm very new to casters/warlocks and this is all new to me.

Question though: Is it beneficial to take MF and SB:CoS/CoS Elegon during the orb phase of that encounter on 10 man, or is that only for 25? I've only read of that recently, beforehand I didn't know how to maximize affliction DPS on that encounter so I was switching to Destro to one shot orbs with chaos bolt, or take them down faster with single target.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LordGithany View Post
    Question though: Is it beneficial to take MF and SB:CoS/CoS Elegon during the orb phase of that encounter on 10 man, or is that only for 25? I've only read of that recently, beforehand I didn't know how to maximize affliction DPS on that encounter so I was switching to Destro to one shot orbs with chaos bolt, or take them down faster with single target.
    It is provided you can get someone to cover your orb, we recently started on Heroic Elegon, then 1 shot him on Wednesday.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...259&target=267

I'm by no means suggesting my performance was fantastic, but I was doing a metric crapton of damage to the sparks compared to the rest of the raid - we had our blood dk tank dpsing "my" spark, sometimes I'd need to dps it a tiny bit on the 5th wave, on the kill it was just a fel flame iirc, but you may need to SB:SS it (though we bloodlusted on the second spark phases add wave, on that it wasn't an issue and I just SOC spammed).

If you ever need to really dps an orb as afflicton, don't be afraid to SS your dots off Elegon (which should not be allowed to drop off), onto the spark. It's also possible to SS the dots back off the spark just as it dies, though it requires good timing if you don't have a "helper", if one of your tanks is helping you out then it's obviously pretty easy to take them off at about 5% and let the tank finish the spark.

As for dot applications - with as few procs as you have, you can probably be getting away with not managing them much, your major one will be Dark Intent, make sure you use that before you place your initial dots (cast haunt on the pull, use DI then SB:SS - it should hit at about the same time as haunt due to travel time).

Haunt should be cast when your dots have procs active (get affdots addon to track that), when you have no procs active on your dots then just MG and refresh dots, don't waste haunts with lower power dots unless you're at about 3 shards, since you don't want to be capping on them.
    Last edited by mmoc1571eb5575; 2013-01-04 at 08:27 PM.

Deleted
    Addons

In terms of UI I highly advise ElvUI. Some people bash it for being too commercial, but it gives me everything I need, and looks slick too. Plus installation/customization is a breeze.

Why? Well it centers your action bars neatly, and moves your unit frames for player and target just above, side by side, so already it reduces the need to watch all corners of your screen simultaneously. Furthermore, all your buffs such as trinkets etc are tracked and timed above the player frame, and all debuffs are tracked above the target frame. This allows you to easily see how long each dot has left on its duration, and also alerts you to potential windows of when it is best to refresh your dots or cast a haunt e.g. an intellect trinket just procced as did your enchant.

Along with this I advise a cast bar addon and I recommend Quartz. Not only does it show what you are casting, but it also displays a red area for when latency allows you to start queuing your next cast. Even better is that it segments the cast bar to show when channeled spells tick, which is essential for affliction due to our use of Malefic Grasp and Drain Soul. Knowing when these spells tick allows you to interrupt the casts safely without wasting too much dps, which is huge.

I'm sure you're also using DBM or BigWigs which are generally considered essential, but I also find 'GTFO' to be a simple way of always making sure I'm not standing in fire, but again this is just personal preference. I hope I'm making sense here as I'm just typing as things come to my head.

Questions

In terms of your question about when to refresh, Nagassh has summed it up pretty well. But I think he meant Dark Soul and not Dark Intent

As he said, until you get lots of stuff proccing you just need to make sure you're refreshing under 50% of the original duration of the dot. You should also pop trinkets/darksoul before you SB:SS onto the boss for your opener, and make sure to chug a potion of the jade serpent and lead with a haunt 2 seconds before combat starts so you can use another one later in the fight (I usually save it to line up with Dark Soul once the boss is in execute range).

For elegon I too specced destro for our first kill. You can (and I do) do the SB:SoC/SoC trick if you want to before applying UA/Agony to your own shard, but like Nagassh said, you may need to ask the tank to assist you until you're comfortable on your own.

Hope that helps, it's a bit of an erratic reply, but feel free to nitpick and ask more questions as you need. I feel like you may not have watched Evrelia's guide which is in his sticky. If you have, I would also recommend actually visiting his channel and checking out his videos there. The "how to open as affliction" may prove particularly useful to you if you are struggling on your opener.

Finally, make sure you are using the Doomguard in every fight. I personally like to pop him at the start to really kickstart my dps, as this is the window when all buffs line up which the Doomie scales dynamically with, but he also does more damage below 20%, so its personal preference again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd also like tips on addons and interface, my interface is a mess currently and I can never find the addons that work well for me, but with some of the suggestions here, I'm getting closer to a comfortable setup.
    I think Nagassh answered a lot of your questions well, but on the addons subject I highly recommend Tell Me When. Tell Me When lets you drag a bar around that you can customize to track basically anything you want. Tell Me When can track buffs, debuffs, spell cooldowns, item cooldowns and your own set of priorities. Very handy. I have it track Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction and Haunt on the current target. I also have it track any trinket procs, so I can keep tabs on when it's worth refreshing my dots with superwoman versions.

Once I get off of work (2 hrs to go, then freedom for the weekend!!!!) I'll show you my own UI. Your UI is absolutely, 100% personal preference but my setup has large icons for spells I use in my rotation and important cooldowns (DS:M, engy gloves, pot, etc) and I put tellmewhen nearby so the most important things are all bundled together for easy viewing.

I guess my best advice is to play around until you have a setup you like. Try to keep your UI as clean as possible, and not too constrictive of your view. You can have all the fancy stuff in the world but if it distracts you from fire then it does you no good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh
    Haunt should be cast when your dots have procs active (get affdots addon to track that), when you have no procs active on your dots then just MG and refresh dots, don't waste haunts with lower power dots unless you're at about 3 shards, since you don't want to be capping on them.
    Another reason to track trinket procs. There's also a really nifty addon that lets you track the current power of your dots: AffDots (http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots).
    Edit: Nagassh already mentioned affdots, but I guess I'll leave my suggestion there to stress it. /heh
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2013-01-04 at 09:04 PM. Reason: ^_^

Deleted
    Most important addons for me: ForteXorcist, Power Auras(some prefer weak auras, but they almost do the same), Quartz, Cooldowns, Bartender, Tidy Plates (especially good for multidotting)

Power Auras might take some time to get into, but you can find a tutorial on YT or just ask in tradechat for help. the addon can basically do everything you want. track all kinds of buffs/debuffs on you, your mates and/or the boss. The best use I get out of it is to show trinket proccs, DS, Potion etc. I try to change the least possible, so I think you can see the effects of every addon very well. Here a screenshot.

http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3...bso74k_jpg.htm

Hi Githany,

There are some pretty knowledgeable warlocks in this thread, and their advice is solid. I know it may be confusing to maneouvre this jungle of information, and if you feel you need further help, you can check out a thread I've made on the official EU forums (provided you're european, don't know about that) - and add my battletag, and I'll help you with turning their good advices into solid play.

The thread.

Deleted
    I just now managed to pull 90k DPS on amber-shaper in LFR, dispite i made a few fuck ups on rotation and timing, I'd say this thread is helping a lot.

Deleted
    Completely missed the question about addons.

Need to know + Affdots.

Had to clip that out of an old screenshot, my affdots is a bit out of place, but that's my means of tracking dot duration and potency. It sits off to the side and can be seen without staring at it and having it in the middle of my screen, all colour coded and I've used it long enough that I notice the colour / size changes without really paying it much attention.

Other than that Drain Souler is pretty useful, it can be configured to give audio queues on drain soul and / or MG ticks (though I'm not sure MG tick beeps are everyones cup of tea). It's useful to avoid clipping ticks of DS in the execute phase, since if you recast a dot right before a DS tick you'll have wasted every second between then and the last tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post
    Firstly - Relic of Yu'lon has already been mentioned, which fully upgraded is BiS until you can clear Sha of Fear on heroic, and I believe the Darkmoon Faire is right around the corner so now is the time to get it.
    Are you sure its better than normal essence of terror?

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post
    Also - Flashfrozen Resin Globule is a fantastic trinket which drops from the first boss in Siege of Niuzao Temple. It provides passive hit, and has a large on-use intellect buff which is great for setting up opening dps. It does not show up in the dungeon journal when filtered for warlocks so s/he probably wasn't aware it existed, I didn't know about it until a couple of weeks after entering MSV!

Ideally she wants to pick up both the trinkets I mentioned, as the Quilen Statuette is pretty bad, and the proc on Vision of the Predator is pretty worthless to an affliction lock too.

Flashfreeze is amazing, I'd still keep it in my bags just for an on-use trinket. For instance, before they patched it, it would have been your go-to trinket for Amber-Shaper zerg method.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Are you sure its better than normal essence of terror?
    Assuming Essence of Terror procs soonish after it comes off cooldown, it isn't. But essence of terror can easily take 20 seconds before proccing.. In which case Yulon is better.

Why are you putting someone at 470 ilvl in your heroic group and expecting decent results. His gear, and his questionable dot management are hurting him. I am a bit surprised that he doesn't have relic yet for being in a heroic group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's my UI if anyone is interested in how different UIs can be:

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6121/lockuis.jpg

Some may call it messy or confusing, I call it perfect.

@Githany: Grats on the dps increase! Don't worry about what people may have said earlier in. I doubt anyone just jumps into a spec and perfects it. Takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Here's my UI if anyone is interested in how different UIs can be:

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6121/lockuis.jpg

Some may call it messy or confusing, I call it perfect.

@Githany: Grats on the dps increase! Don't worry about what people may have said earlier in. I doubt anyone just jumps into a spec and perfects it. Takes time.
    I like your UI. It's simple, and to the point. Though, the "messiness" imo comes from the cluttering of hotkeys. I'm sure you know them all by muscle memory by now, so why not fade them away by 75%? I tried doing that, and my god it really cleaned up the UI!

Deleted
    http://www.methodwow.com/board/showt...-Warlock-Guide

This is probably the most detailed guide ive found and would probably benefit a new warlock alot.

I'm not making excuses for my DPS, and blaming it on gear, I know I'm making mistakes mainly due to me not finding any useful guides that actually describe what's going on rather than do this do that, not one guide mentioned what to use to refresh dots, how to refresh dots with procs, (not that I get many procs with just tailoring cloak enchant) or how to correctly manage Haunt, I felt like the guides available expected you to have played warlock previously and know somewhat what you are doing.
    Obviously if you're new to the class you'll have to pick-up some experience, which doesn't come instantly. As for not being able to find guides, I honestly think you've not been searching hard enough. But let me link you

It is a pretty detailed video with explanation how to play affliction, which talents to take, how to gear, etc. It also has pointers for addons and everything. All in all, pretty complete.

I hope you'll improve and if you're putting in the effort I've no doubt you will!

I didn't take time to look at this in-depth, and also, I played warlock heroic progression last xp so my knowledge might be out of date, but these are the things I have noticed.

1) His DOT uptime is about 8-10% less than top warlocks in world of logs, so I suggest him getting a good UI addon for that. I prefer button timers, as it shows exactly which DOT isn't on.
    2) The amount of he casts Soul Burn significantly less than top warlocks (about 80% less). As someone stated above, that affects damage.
    3) His spike at the start isn't very good. I suggest that he tracks his procs with Tellmewhen, so he knows when to pop Doomguard (when all procs and cd's are up), that is, if Doomguard is still affected by players stats.

Thats just my 50 cent. I am not up to date on warlocks, but those were big things back in Cata.

Deleted
    I posted a rather longer post before but it got swallowed for mod approval so not sure if you missed it.

If you're struggling with your ui (you said it was a mess) and have no clue about addons and such, I REALLY recommend using Elvui, as its self installation pretty much sets you up ready to go, and includes a dot timer and buff timer. Literally everything you need is there.

Once comfortable, you can then add in stuff like weakauras to track the internal cooldowns of your trinkets to really step up your game, but I think the basics are what need to be covered for now, and not overwhelm you with 5 different addons all at once!

Deleted
    Today I hit lucky and got Light of the Cosmos in LFR (Elegon trinket) and Flashfrozen resin Globule.
    I have serpents deck ready to hand in tomorrow for the other trinket, so the question being, which trinket of the above should I use with it?
    Flashfrozen and macro the trinket in with SB:SS so when ever its up the dots are buffed or..
    Cosmos for more int procs, it seems to proc a lot, definitely more than tailoring cloak enchant at least.
    I'm sure I'll also keep the flashfrozen to one side also just in case

Since this trinket gives enough haste to keep the recommended haste cap, I'm guessing It's now safe to reforge some haste to hit on mastery/haste items, until I'm comfortable enough with the mechanics to play with some miss chance.
    Last edited by mmoca85961fc6e; 2013-01-05 at 03:29 PM.

Today I hit lucky and got Light of the Cosmos in LFR (Elegon trinket) and Flashfrozen resin Globule.
    I have serpents deck ready to hand in tomorrow for the other trinket, so the question being, which trinket of the above should I use with it?
    Flashfrozen and macro the trinket in with SB:SS so when ever its up the dots are buffed or..
    Cosmos for more int procs, it seems to proc a lot, definitely more than tailoring cloak enchant at least.
    I'm sure I'll also keep the flashfrozen to one side also just in case

Since this trinket gives enough haste to keep the recommended haste cap, I'm guessing It's now safe to reforge some haste to hit on mastery/haste items, until I'm comfortable enough with the mechanics to play with some miss chance.
    LoTC + Relic i'd say would be your best combo

And get the addon reforgelite
    Last edited by actiwe; 2013-01-05 at 03:54 PM.

I'm saying gear as well.