Killer Joe: 4/10. This movie had a lot of potential, and is only saved by surprisingly good acting from McConaughey and Gershon. There's an interesting twist in the plot along the way, but otherwise this movie is just a mess.

Moonrise Kingdom: 8/10. Amazing and well crafted. See it.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Knight Rises- 8/10
    8mm (with Nick Cage) 7/10

Deleted
    Yea this is just for me only so take it with a grain of salt, but the moment he spoke I cracked up laughing
    Tbh I laughed in the beginning too, but it kinda grew on me. I was worried he would heve the typical retard big guy voice, this voice (while funny if you suddenly hear it) made him way more then that.

From Paris With Love 9/10!

Dredd... and I'd probably give it a 7 I guess.

Deleted
    Cloud Atlas 9/10

This is one of the most interesting movies I have seen recently really. Fabulous acting. Hell I even liked Hugh Grant, which I absolutely hate in every single way possible. It really is something else, and it's extremely well done for what it's supposed to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    Smith can be serious. I thought he did an excellent job as a serious character in "The Pursuit of Happiness". I just don't think the roll really fit him that well. He is also a bit old to be playing a character who is in his early 20's.

This was the first performance Smith did that showed he definitely has talent for serious rolls. This was back when he was doing Fresh Prince and he ad libed the entire scene apparently. In the episode Will's father who was absent his entire childhood unexpectedly shows up saying he wants to go on a trip with Will. Will is very excited and everything seems to be going okay until you find out the dad just came to try to mooch some money off of Will's uncle and is now skipping town and not taking will on the trip.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 05:15 PM ----------

I think it was ridiculous because Avatar was arguably the most memorable movie of the year. It had some decent competition, but somehow the one who won was fucking Hurt Locker. Seriously. That movie was not only a box office bomb, it was touted as an accurate portrayal of the war in Iraq while pretty much every veteran who saw it said it was horribly inaccurate, it didn't have any truly memorable preformances, and in 10 years, while people will still remember avatar, no one will remember it.
    The other contenders for best picture that year:
    The Blind Side
    District 9
    An Education
    Inglorious Basterds
    Precious
    A serious Man
    Up
    Up in the air

Literally all of those movies were better than the Hurt Locker. I think one of the reasons it won was because the director is James Camerons ex wife and they wanted to create some stupid artificial rivalry for the tabloids so more hype would get built up.

I haven't been so ticked off about a best picture decision since they gave Best Picture to fucking Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan.
    I thought The Hurt Locker was a masterful film, superb on both the technical side and the acting side. It is a true masterpiece, and actually holds a 97% positive rating on rotten tomatoes (not going to use RT as a bold argument, it’s just for informational purpose). It was far more impressive filmmaking than Avatar (bear in mind that I loved Avatar as well, gave both movies 4/4 ratings). But oh well, there does not exist a single movie not hated by someone. So I can’t blame you for not liking it as much as I did.

Deleted
    Tbh Avatar was a technical achievement with the whole 3D thing. It looked good indeed. Story wise? Pocahontas in the future using a disabled guy as main character. Oscar material. Overhyped cliché. I hated it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Avatar deserving an Oscar for best picture? It would have been an intellectual crime if it had won, considering that the story was severly lacking in substance with its very simplistic plot of good vs. evil with an environmental message done by pretty much every film ever done about the subject.

The only reason it can be passable as a decent movie is because of the production value that was done by very competent people who knew how to sell this old story concept. The technical aspects of the movie are undeniably impressive, but I do not consider the visuals to ooze creativity or them to be anything that surpass other movies inside or even outside its genre.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-01-04 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Avatar deserving an Oscar for best picture? It would have been an intellectual crime if it had won, considering that the story was severly lacking in substance with its very simplistic plot of good vs. evil with an environmental message done by pretty much every film ever done about the subject.

The only reason it can be passable as a decent movie is because of the production value that was done by very competent people who knew how to sell this old story concept. The technical aspects of the movie are undeniably impressive, but I do not consider the visuals to ooze creativity or be anything that surpass other movies inside and or even outside its genre.
    I'd agree with this, except I believe the movie is entertaining enough with its story (and it has enough original ideas in it, despite it being a very familiar plot line), it just isn't the masterpiece it is sometimes thought to be because of the great immersive effects.

I'll admit I loved the movie when it was in theaters, but once I actually watched it at my own home on Blu-Ray it was a lot harder to sit through and I had no desire to ever really want to watch it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    I'd agree with this, except I believe the movie is entertaining enough with its story (and it has enough original ideas in it, despite it being a very familiar plot line), it just isn't the masterpiece it is sometimes thought to be because of the great immersive effects.

I'll admit I loved the movie when it was in theaters, but once I actually watched it at my own home on Blu-Ray it was a lot harder to sit through and I had no desire to ever really want to watch it again.
    Well, I do not find the movie to be terrible (it's simply not something that would catch my interest, which it did not do). I did watch it on TV a bit when it was on the other day, but I zapped after a while since I got a bit tired of the visuals, which I do find to be bland most of the time (some of the stuff when the characters were at the ground with a lot of varying colours catched my interest, though). Being an artist, gamer, movie watcher, as well as a reader, I have seen a good chunk of fantasy and science fiction to determine my personal tastes to them, and the movie sadly did not deliver for me. The environmental design looked weird with some questionable things like anti-gravitational mountains as well as other fantasy shaped objects (the mix of science fiction and fantasy did not work as well here as I have seen other movies have).

The most original thing I found about the character and creature designs was the hair sex for the Na'vi (should be considered the most impractical reproduction system, ever). Just the thought of all the possibilities regarding this idea makes me giggle inside. So many jokes... XD

One thing I can say about the plot that I did enjoy was the parts regarding the function of the avatars themselves and the technical aspects that made it possible for the humans to live on the planet (not being able to breathe the air on another planet, while not original, did help provide some decent suspense when it came into play). I would not have minded the movie too much if it did not recycle so much of the formula while at the same time creating issues with the plot because of said formula. Not to mention that I disliked similar movies like Pocahontas because of the plot, so it was doomed for me at the very start.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-01-04 at 11:45 PM.

Well, I do not find the movie to be terrible (it's simply not something that would catch my interest, which it did not do). I did watch it on TV a bit when it was on the other day, but I zapped after a while since I got a bit tired of the visuals, which I do find to be bland most of the time (some of the stuff when the characters were at the ground with a lot of varying colours catched my interest, though). Being an artist, gamer, movie watcher, as well as a reader, I have see a good chunk of fantasy and science fiction to determine my personal tastes to them, and the movie sadly did not deliver for me. The environmental design looked weird with some questionable things like anti-gravitational mountains as well as other fantasy shaped objects (the mix of science fiction and fantasy did not work as well here as I have seen other movies have).

The most original thing I found about the character and creature designs was the hair sex for the Na'vi (should be considered the most impractical reproduction system, ever). Just the thought of all the possibilities regarding this idea makes me giggle inside. So many jokes... XD

One thing I can say about the plot that I did enjoy was the parts regarding the function of the avatars themselves and the technical aspects that made it possible for the humans to live on the planet (not being able to breathe the air on another planet, while not original, did help provide some decent suspense when it came into play). I would not have minded the movie too much if it did not recycle so much of the formula while at the same time creating issues with the plot because of said formula. Not to mention that I disliked similar movies like Pocahontas because of the plot, so it was doomed for me at the very start.
    Yeah, if you saw it on TV for the first time then it likely doesn't seem as good as it was in the theaters with the great 3D effects. The visuals were fantastic, but it was the main thing going for the movie, if the TV was the first time I had seen it I probably would have passed it for decent but not great too.

Because I saw it in the theaters first I pass it for good, and fantastic cinematography (for how it was meant to be seen, in a large theater with 3D) but merely decent in all other aspects (which decent is mediocre for James Cameron)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Yeah, if you saw it on TV for the first time then it likely doesn't seem as good as it was in the theaters with the great 3D effects. The visuals were fantastic, but it was the main thing going for the movie, if the TV was the first time I had seen it I probably would have passed it for decent but not great too.

Because I saw it in the theaters first I pass it for good, and fantastic cinematography (for how it was meant to be seen, in a large theater with 3D) but merely decent in all other aspects (which decent is mediocre for James Cameron)
    I heard that it looked spectacular in 3D, but I have never been a fan of 3D (gimmick, in my opinion). Still, I would have probably enjoyed it more at the cinema. A short coming of the film, since movies I enjoy watching should be enjoyable in their own right, without the need of a movie ticket (although I do think big screens with all its perks do improve the experience for most movies).
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-01-04 at 11:41 PM.

I heard that it looked spectacular in 3D, but I have never been a fan of 3D (gimmick, in my opinion). Still, I would have probably enjoyed it more at the cinema. A short coming of the film, since movies I enjoy watching should be enjoyable in their own right, without the need of a movie ticket (although I do think big screens with all its perks do improve the experience for most movies).
    Well most movies use sub par 3D techniques, foremost is port 2D to 3D. Where is Avatar was filmed in 3D, using special cameras that Cameron developed especially for Avatar.

Some movies are better on the big screen and thats why we love them. I remember watching Alien on the big screen and thinking, it dosnt do it justice on dvd.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

I like Avatar, but what I like even more is how it has re-introduced Sci-Fi to the big screen. As far as I'm concerned, Avatar turned Sci-Fi from "that stuff that nerds do" to "Holy fucking space-balls, Batman! This shit rocks!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

10+ Year Old Account
    The Hobbit. Call me a communist but i never saw a Lord of the Rings movie before this one. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10!
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Pitch Perfect
    I heard from so many different people and some of my friends that saw it that this was a hilarious movie, so when I found this on TV I was expecting a funny play off of Glee with some good musical numbers. Now first off this is way better (in that better musical numbers, and much funnier with less idiotic love triangle drama) than anything Glee has done since season 1, however that doesn't say much.

It was enjoyable to watch with a good amount of funny moments, but it had its fair share of drowsy typical blotches that you would expect out of most rom-com type movies. Also, although I enjoyed my time, I really didn't feel like I would have missed out on anything if I never saw this movie at all, there is nothing truly memorable about this movie, except for one thing, and that's Fat Amy. Fat Amy was kind of what bumped this movie from getting a score I would give to a forgettable mediocre movie to a score to what I would give to a movie that is a good time and worth watching if you have the spare time. Nearly all of the funny moments came from her, and she was one of the more original characters of the cast.

The musical numbers were also pretty nice, yes some of them sounded a little bit unbelievable to be hearing from that set of characters, yet it wasn't nearly as unbelievable as the cast of 30 year olds playing proffessional perfect pitch 15 year olds you would see in the show it is parodying (Glee). None of them were really memorable however, meaning if somebody told me to pick a song from it that stands out I would probably shrug and have no idea because none of the numbers were.

Overall, I am trying to be nice on this movie because I have just seen and re-watched many of my favorite movies of 2012 so it's obvious this wouldn't live up to them, and I found I actually did enjoy it quite a bit, but not enough to where I would recommend it for anything other than renting it for a cheap date night movie or watching it on TV when you are bored and need something to do. Yet since I did enjoy the movie to an extent I will give it a, 6.3/10

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched Zero Dark Thirty, 9.5/10. Spectacular movie, didn't glorify the whole 'Merica we killed Osama angle. Really enjoyed it and I'm loving the influx of releases of dvd screeners for award season ect.

Watched Premium Rush last night, Usually a huge fan of Joshua Levitt Gordon, but that movies was the biggest piece of hipster crap I have ever seen. Seriously a 1/10, I'm not even sure how i finished it.

I should have known what i was getting into when they started talking about "fixies".

The only reason it can be passable as a decent movie is because of the production value that was done by very competent people who knew how to sell this old story concept. The technical aspects of the movie are undeniably impressive, but I do not consider the visuals to ooze creativity or them to be anything that surpass other movies inside or even outside its genre.
    Avatar always reminded me of Nagrand and Zangarmarsh. It is striking how similar Outlands is to scenes in the film; it is also interesting that the film's concept art was developed between 2005 and 2007, while BC was launched Jan 2007. Not to mention the similarities between the Na'vi and Draenei...I'd imagine that the film was influenced at least somewhat by the expansion's art design, although there is no real way to prove that.