Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Koraak View Post
    As awesome as he is, the FCC would never let an unedited Day[9] cast go live unless it was after 11pm.
    yes, but when he is casting a SC game he is much more professional then his own internet show.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Do TV executives have a blind-eye towards gaming because of it's "childish" or "immature" stigma?
    I think you're the first person in a long while to accuse TV executives of holding back a program because it is immature.
    They will put out anything that will give them money.

edit: They will put out anything that they think will give them money. Maybe this is an untapped market, go for it man - promote it, and you could be the next Ryan Seacrest.
    Last edited by someotherguy; 2013-01-04 at 09:51 PM.

I grew up with video games, and watching someone else play a game is the most boring thing in the world. Why would you want to WATCH someone play a game instead of PLAYING it yourself?.....

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    I grew up with video games, and watching someone else play a game is the most boring thing in the world. Why would you want to WATCH someone play a game instead of PLAYING it yourself?.....
    why would you want to watch somebodoy play foot ball or basketball instead of playing it yourself?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Why do people watch sports? Same thing different game.

beat me to it gamdwelf

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 04:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    I think you're the first person in a long while to accuse TV executives of holding back a program because it is immature.
    They will put out anything that will give them money.
    Let's all remember that "Here comes Honey Booboo" is an actual show. I don't think they are worried about content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    The other issue is professionalism. Golf and tennis players must conduct themselves in a certain manner (save McEnroe type antics) which gives the sport a good image. The last League of Legends event I watched on stream, Dyrus (top laner for TSM) was holding a fucking pink pillow and throwing shit into the crowd. Until Esports demands that "professional" sort of aura from EVERYONE involved, it will never make it to TV.
    That is (mostly) not true for Starcraft 2 though. It's considered bad manner if you dont type "gg" (or equivalent) before you forfeit in a game. Also, last year there was a huge uproar when a player threw a tournament game that was meaningless for both players (it was for who would place last and second-to-last in their group)

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're striving to improve your play, you watch (and play with) people that are better than yourself.

I have a lot of golfer buddies...they say they've learned quite a bit just by watching PGA events on TV. The same goes for a lot of the Esport-type games. Strategies, decision-making...basically all facets of the game can be studied and then applied to your own gaming experience. Not only that, but for a lot of us, its wildly entertaining to watch THE BEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD play the game that you yourself enjoy.

Let's assume you play WoW...but do not watch high end PvP streams/videos or Top 20 World videos. You're probably a typical casual / baddie that has no desire to improve your play. You find it fun to be mediocre. That's fine, but I think most gamers want to get better. A good way to do that is to study the best of the best.

I read poker books and watch poker on TV. Has it improved my own play? Absolutely.

Geez, sounds a lot like any other sport.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-01-04 at 09:54 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would a network pay for licensing, merchandising and advertising for something that the vast majority of an audience has natively always gotten for free?

Thats why.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

For games like WoW watching reactions could help you be better. But for tf2 I know all it takes is practice lining up your aim and reaction time from practice practice practice. Not really a game I get better at by watching pros play.

Because you'd be watching Pros. Think about it, if I grew up all the time playing basketball, of course I would rather play then watch some random highschool game. But the NBA playoffs, I'd sure as shit rather watch that then play.

You also pick up new moves, new strategies, new things to try. Just like watching basketball, or football, watching how a running back jukes, or a quarterback sells a fake pass. I could improve playing my League champ, or my CoD sniper. It has the same appeal and likeness to real sport-watching. To me, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    why would you want to watch somebodoy play foot ball or basketball instead of playing it yourself?
    I am not fond of balls flying at me, or a bunch of men knocking me down on my ass.
    Watching football is much more fun than having a head concussion from playing football.

I am also unable to dunk a basketball.

Watching other people perform amazing feats is interesting. Watching other people bang on keyboard keys is not interesting (to me) - even though they have a much better reaction time than I do, it's just nothing compared to a 300 lbs guy flying at a 250 lbs guy who's running at him head on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Why would a network pay for licensing, merchandising and advertising for something that the vast majority of an audience has natively always gotten for free?

Thats why.
    Pretty much this. So long as online streaming of events continue...it probably won't make it to TV.

Like I said, if someone came in and bought out the rights...stopped the streaming, and got it on a network...then it might work. That's an awfully big cliff to jump off, though.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    http://www.giga.de/tv/

German tv station dedicated to gaming and simillar stuff. Used to watch it pretty regulary,they used to stream high-end raiding in TBC. Tho idk what going on with them recently.But we won't see any gaming on TV soo because people still think it's for little children and nerds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysthalica View Post
    Starcraft 2 from Dreamhack has gotten some coverage on SVT, the Swedish national television that is non-profit and funded by the state.
    Best country ever hands down.

There was actually a video gaming channel (not G4) on Dish Network for a while that showed all kinds of tv shows just involving video games: Starcraft/Warcraft tournaments, Battlefield 2142 matches, gameplay videos, gameplay hints and cheats, sometimes full cinematics from video games, previews, reviews, etc.

Then one day... poof, not there. I forgot what the name was.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Take Call of Duty for example. I personally don't play it, but I'm aware of it's popularity. It seems that having tournament / clan vs clan kind of gameplay would garner a lot more revenue then say, golf or tennis.

Or what about League of Legends, the most popular game in the world (I think over 65 million unique accounts)? Do TV executives have a blind-eye towards gaming because of it's "childish" or "immature" stigma? Considering the amount of people in the world who enjoy video games, I feel like it's a missed opportunity from a business stand-point.

I don't have much (if any) sources to back up most of my claims, and most of this is also my opinionated observations.
    Well, 1st point is, OP is completely misguided on the whole golf and tennis thing. Those sports generate huge revenues in their sports and have extremely loyal fanbases worldwide.

In terms of gaming on TV, I guess there is no way to really know at this point since, at least in the US, it hasn't really be tried. Starcraft has a huge following in Korea and has their leagues on their cable networks. Could it work in the US? No way to really know until it's actually tried. I think there could definitely be a market for it on something like g4tv. But again, we'll never know until it's given a good shot to succeed.

They used to put Madden on espn, was actually pretty good show with the right production.

Good video game shows are about personalities, not the actually game.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Personally I think Call of Duty would make an awful tv show.

For one thing videos games aren't as fun to watch. Plus there is an imbalance in some games. For Soccer as an example, both teams have the same amount of players and the same court, everything is fair. With wow all the talk would be over which class is OP, much like pvp is now. For Call of Duty people would be saying its who can point and click each other the fastest.
    Technically who can point and click each other fastest is an equatable thing to one sports team having just a better player, that's not a problem...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Simple, majority of people who play or watch games at competitive levels have internet connections, they're more likely to be at their computer/console and willing to spend money for instant, ad free streaming.

Also, by watching it via the internet and directly paying the people who are hosting it, you're supporting the gaming community instead of tv networks pockets.

Deleted
    because not enough people are interested in it,TV networks aim for highest possible audience.