Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Super-noobish questions about TOR/Cartel Market purchases from new player

Hi, well, I'm new here and to MMOs in general, never played one before. Started playing TOR few weeks ago (F2P), got my character to lvl 25 and I'm starting to get a clearer view what restrictions irritate me the most. So I want to buy some stuff to unlock things I want and get Preferred Status Player, but I wanted to ask some question before I make any purchase. Tried to research all of it on the net, but it's really hard and confusing getting very specific answers (especially about F2P).

Question #1: I wanna buy 1050 Cartel Coins pack and get Crew Skill unlock and Sith Species unlock for that. If I understand this correctly, this should give me 1 Crew Skills slot + another 1 from gaining Preferred Status Player right? So 3 in total? This would apply to my entire account?

As for Sith unlock, would it be available for my entire account right away or do I need to do anything else? (like gather million credits to buy unlock in Legacy which would make my purchase pointless since PSPs have 350k credit cap)

Question #2: To get HK-51 I need Authorization to Section X right? (either bought on Cartel market or GTN where it's like 700k last I checked so F2P/PSP players won't get it anyway) Absolutely no way of getting HK-51 for free right?

Question #3: Anyway to change Legacy name?

Question #4: I'm not even exactly sure what the Operations are but do F2P/PSP players have access to them at all?

Hope this thread ain't breaking any rules

Quote Originally Posted by Harrus View Post
    Hi, well, I'm new here and to MMOs in general, never played one before. Started playing TOR few weeks ago (F2P), got my character to lvl 25 and I'm starting to get a clearer view what restrictions irritate me the most. So I want to buy some stuff to unlock things I want and get Preferred Status Player, but I wanted to ask some question before I make any purchase. Tried to research all of it on the net, but it's really hard and confusing getting very specific answers (especially about F2P).

Question #1: I wanna buy 1050 Cartel Coins pack and get Crew Skill unlock and Sith Species unlock for that. If I calculate this right, this should give me 1 Crew Skills slot + another 1 from gaining Preferred Status Player right? So 3 in total? This would apply to my entire account?

As for Sith unlock, would it be available for my entire account right away or do I need to do anything else? (like gather million credits to buy unlock in Legacy which would make my purchase pointless since PSPs have 350k credit cap)

Question #2: To get HK-51 I need Authorization to Section X right? (either bought on Cartel market or GTN where it's like 700k last I checked so F2P/PSP players won't get it anyway) Absolutely no way of getting HK-51 for free right?

Question #3: Anyway to change Legacy name?

Question #4: I'm not even exactly sure what the Operations are but do F2P/PSP players have access to them at all?

Hope this thread ain't breaking any rules
    1: Yes, if it's an account wide crew skill slot unlock. Otherwise it's just one character.
    2: Yes. Keep checking the GTN. I got mine for 280k credits. So you can get hk-51 for free.
    3: Isn't there a thing you can buy off the CM to do that? If not, no.
    4: You have to buy weekly passes either off the CM or GTN for operations.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    1: Yes, if it's an account wide crew skill slot unlock. Otherwise it's just one character.
    2: Yes. Keep checking the GTN. I got mine for 280k credits. So you can get hk-51 for free.
    3: Isn't there a thing you can buy off the CM to do that? If not, no.
    4: You have to buy weekly passes either off the CM or GTN for operations.
    Thx for quick answer hk!
    1. I see, don't remember whether crew skill was account or character specific. Not sure if it was mentioned at all. What about the Sith Species though? There was only 1 unlock available for sure, will it be unlocked for all my characters (all 2 lol) or do I need to gather million credits to unlock him in my second character lol?
    2. Ohh really? :O Then I guess I will keep checking GTN over and over again ;D
    3. Nope, no unlock like that on CM
    4. Hmm I see, well, I'm weeks/months from getting to the point I will have to worry about Operations anyway lol. Will consider whether to get a pass, sub for some time or neither

1. I think if you get the sith species unlock that's all you need to make sith.

Deleted
    Are there any lines relevant to the Sith race when playing, say, as a Jedi? I did hear one line when playing my Zabrak Trooper how he's an alien, I was wondering if anyone in the game's world "notices" if there's a red-skinned Sith pureblood Jedi running around? ;P

Are there any lines relevant to the Sith race when playing, say, as a Jedi? I did hear one line when playing my Zabrak Trooper how he's an alien, I was wondering if anyone in the game's world "notices" if there's a red-skinned Sith pureblood Jedi running around? ;P
    I am almost positive that there isn't.

There is usually either a human response or alien response.
    for example, only as human can you sleep with watcher 3.

Deleted
    I am almost positive that there isn't.
    Meeh Oh well, they still look super cool I just want a character like that ;P

for example, only as human can you sleep with watcher 3.
    With who?

Meeh Oh well, they still look super cool I just want a character like that ;P

With who?
    Don't worry about it. Agent stuff.

Secret agent stuff.
    /sunglasses

Deleted
    Don't worry about it. Agent stuff.

Secret agent stuff.
    /sunglasses
    Ohh :P Well, my Agent's gonna be gay anyway (like all my other characters ) so unless Bioware implemented some muscular Mandalorian to love him when I wasn't looking none of them will get any action whatsoever

Ohh :P Well, my Agent's gonna be gay anyway (like all my other characters ) so unless Bioware implemented some muscular Mandalorian to love him when I wasn't looking none of them will get any action whatsoever
    This probably isn't the thread for it but...

Do you feel a little offended that straight characters can get married (sometimes twice, yay polygamy?) whereas makeb SGR are going to be hook ups? I feel like they are saying "Okay. Yes, gay people exist. But they can't get married"

Deleted
    This probably isn't the thread for it but...

Do you feel a little offended that straight characters can get married (sometimes twice, yay polygamy?) whereas makeb SGR are going to be hook ups? I feel like they are saying "Okay. Yes, gay people exist. But they can't get married"
    "and can't have meaningful relationships either, hook-ups only". Way to play into stereytypes Bioware lol. I'm more like intellectually offended about the lame excuses. "We were busy working on TWENTY or so opposite-gender companion romances and countless opposite-gender one night stands, sorry, there was no time for same-gender stuff". Give me a break. They should just admit they never cared for/planned it to begin with until people pointed it out in their face. This has nothing to do with resources but how were they distributed.

At this point I don't delude myself or even think they should add 20 same-gander companion romances and a hook up on every planet or modify existing romances, completely unrealistic (even from technical point of view) and there are way more important issues in the game. But 2 new companions HK-51-style (available for all classes) with full gay romance substory is what should be done IMO. Give us some gay Mandalorian and lesbian Bounty Hunter and call it a day. Anyone could use these new companions, just like HK-51, and the gay romance would be just a bonus of their overall development. One night stands don't cut it.

But anyway, back to HK-51. Did that Access X unlock you got for 280k was for the entire account or one character?
    Last edited by mmocafc5faf701; 2013-01-05 at 12:49 PM.

But anyway, back to HK-51. Did that Access X unlock you got for 280k was for the entire account or one character?
    account wide.

But for the love of god dont get account wide unlocks right now. They randomly disappear.

Harrus, I strongly suggest you to subscribe for a month instead of buying those unlocks.

1 month sub will give you:
    preferred status
    12 character slots (you need to create them before your sub ends. they will be reduced to 6 character slots at the future)
    You can create sith raced sith classes when you are subbed and can use them later no need to buy unlocks.
    You can buy unlocks with credits. The best ones for the money are low level inventory and storage bay unlocks.
    You will have access to section x as long as you are subbed you can get your hk for free.

Deleted
    account wide.

But for the love of god dont get account wide unlocks right now. They randomly disappear.
    What do you mean they disappear? Is there some bug there? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Odegon View Post
    12 character slots (you need to create them before your sub ends. they will be reduced to 6 character slots at the future)
    What I don't create extra characters? I will have limit of 2 when the sub ends? Or 6?

Also, a well, suuuuuper-noob question. How does a sub work lol? Is it January 1st - February 1st, or 30 days when I actually log in, so I could technically log in once every 5 weeks and my 30 days of subscriptions would end sometime in 2014? xD

What do you mean they disappear? Is there some bug there? :/

What I don't create extra characters? I will have limit of 2 when the sub ends? Or 6?

Also, a well, suuuuuper-noob question. How does a sub work lol? Is it January 1st - February 1st, or 30 days when I actually log in, so I could technically log in once every 5 weeks and my 30 days of subscriptions would end sometime in 2014? xD
    The account wide unlocks bought off the GTN are bugged and don't work as listed. Account wide hide helm, artifact license, display title, inventory modules and cargo bay unlocks don't grant the extra benefits they're supposed to on all your characters. I'd steer clear of them until BW/EA gets them sorted.

The sub runs 30 straight calendar days from when you start paying. It's not going by how much time you spend in game or frequency of log ins etc. When you end a sub you drop back down to preferred. And you're supposed to have playable 6 character slots as preferred whenever BW/EA decides to patch this privilege into the game. New preferred players don't have all 6 right now whereas former subs still have access to 12 until BW/EA patches things.

re: your operations comment earlier. If you're going to run raids, you're going to have to pick up the artifact authorization license as well so you can equip epic gear. And it's a pricey purchase. =/ If you find that you want to participate in end game content, I think you're better off subbing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    The account wide unlocks bought off the GTN are bugged and don't work as listed. Account wide hide helm, artifact license, display title, inventory modules and cargo bay unlocks don't grant the extra benefits they're supposed to on all your characters. I'd steer clear of them until BW/EA gets them sorted.

The sub runs 30 straight calendar days from when you start paying. It's not going by how much time you spend in game or frequency of log ins etc. When you end a sub you drop back down to preferred. And you're supposed to have playable 6 character slots as preferred whenever BW/EA decides to patch this privilege into the game. New preferred players don't have all 6 right now whereas former subs still have access to 12 until BW/EA patches things.

re: your operations comment earlier. If you're going to run raids, you're going to have to pick up the artifact authorization license as well so you can equip epic gear. And it's a pricey purchase. =/ If you find that you want to participate in end game content, I think you're better off subbing.
    Thank you for detailed answers!

Yeah, when I reach my character to lvl 50 (and second one maybe too) then I will probably sub, especially since I've discovered that subbing is VERY cheap in Poland. Polish EA actually did the smart thing and priced subs appropriately to local wages/income, not a direct $15 translation. So I'm gonna sub at least for a month but not now yet, I'm still leveling up and probably wouldn't even hit lvl 50 before my sub would run out and I would be locked out of Operations/raids again.

For now I got some Cartel coins - additional crew skill slot and my Sith species and I'm happy Prefered status unlocked me additional quickbars and lessened some other stupid restrictions so I think I'm good till lvl 50. Maybe I will buy myself headslot unlock on GTN, though I've been saving up for Access X after hk-51 said he got his for just 160k or something eek So I keep checking GTN looking for cheap Access X to pop up xD

Also, I'm VERY surprised by GTN overall. Like I said, I never played an MMO before so I thought people never really use these in-game trade networks but not only I use it all the time to sell stuff but I also checked stuff to buy and there's just so much and so much cheaper in many cases than at the standard vendors. I love it <3 Just bought myself new pants ;D
    Last edited by mmocafc5faf701; 2013-01-09 at 03:43 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also, I'm VERY surprised by GTN overall. Like I said, I never played an MMO before so I thought people never really use these in-game trade networks but not only I use it all the time to sell stuff but I also checked stuff to buy and there's just so much and so much cheaper in many cases than at the standard vendors. I love it <3 Just bought myself new pants ;D
    I'll be honest, if this is your first MMO you are probably going to love it. I wouldn't be able to complain about things so much if I hadn't played every MMO under the sun before this one.

If you enjoy this game, keep your head down, stay away from scary threads on here, and just keep playing what you have fun doing. If you ever get bored, by all means check out other games...but I would stick with the really great experience that this one provides for people new to the genre.

I am envious of your excitement...I want it back!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I'll be honest, if this is your first MMO you are probably going to love it. I wouldn't be able to complain about things so much if I hadn't played every MMO under the sun before this one.

If you enjoy this game, keep your head down, stay away from scary threads on here, and just keep playing what you have fun doing. If you ever get bored, by all means check out other games...but I would stick with the really great experience that this one provides for people new to the genre.

I am envious of your excitement...I want it back!
    Doubt I will try other MMOs, one is time-consuming enough and I'm allergic to fantasy setting But we'll see. ATM I'm having fun here

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Harrus, glad to see you are enjoying the game! As others have mentioned, if you like to raid/do flashpoints/warzones or anything in this game that requires grouping with people than a sub may be your best option. In a nutshell the entire game opens up with very little restrictions. As an incentive you will be able to level your characters much faster due to rested experience boosts and such.

Just to give an example; a co-worker of mine if currently FTP and leveling a sith warrior. Even though he has completed pretty much every quest on the planet Voss he was still only level 45 when he went to one of the final planets in his story line (Corellia) and most of the quests on that planet are level 47+. As a result he is getting pummeled pretty good questing there. While he has no interest in raiding or doing flashpoints he said that he LOVES the space missions but due to the FTP restrictions he can only do a limited number of them a week and hence he is a bit behind the 8 ball leveling wise. Now I would never recommend to my co-worker to sub because most of the games he plays are solo based and do not require grouping up and he has said he has no interest in flashpoints or raiding in any way. YOU on the other hand would benefit tremendously even by subbing for one month or more.

Also, in game I have noticed that more people are reaching out for help and getting positive answers from the community instead of just being trolled. One person on the swtor fourms had been unable to play for the last 3-6 months: until one of my guildies helped him out (shameless guild plug....http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=582763).

Keep asking questions, and welcome to swtor!
    Last edited by Slugfest; 2013-01-09 at 05:00 PM.
    MLP Friendship Is Magic - Republic - The Harbinger
    The Madhi Legacy
    Slugfest - 55 Watchman Sentinel | Slugtrooper - 55 Gunnery Commando | Slugconsular - 55 Seer Consular | Slackfest - 55 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Slugagent - 55 Marksmanship Sniper | Slugwarrior- 55 Annihilation Marauder | Slughunter- 55 Arsenal Mercenary | Slugsorcerer- 55 Lightning Sorcerer

Deleted
    I definitely enjoyed doing FPs, Heroics and WBs in my short period of playing the game so yeah, I can imagine operations are definitely for me. Kinda not interested in PVP at all lol. Do I lose/miss out on anything by not getting into PVP well, at all lol? I just kinda wanna quest, group, craft, sell, get rich and look hot

And since everyone's so nice, can I have a request? Could someone who subs make a thread on official forums asking for Legacy Name Change unlock in CM or option or something? I realllllly wanna change it and yes, I'm willing to pay $$$, take my money EA