Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How large in unscaled Azeroth?

I know there is no actual way to figure this out, but it's something that has been bugging me and I was hoping someone would be able to make some educated guess.

One NPC in Jade Forest says it's a couple days walk to Kun-Lai Summit so that shows Pandaria is not too big.

i think pandaria should be roughly about the same size as puertorico. seems about right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pandaria is supposed to be an island in lore. Northrend is a continent. If pandaria was to scale with azeroth it would be the size of echo isles or maybe slightly bigger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering it's day/night for both Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor at the same time, Azeroth must be fairly large and we've only ever seen half of it.

While the calculations involved were made long before there were any expansions, someone did once calculate how big Azeroth would be if scaled properly rather than being compressed for gameplay convenience.

I forget the exact numbers they finally reached, but I do recall one example they gave - if put at proper 1:1 scale, traveling from Mor'shan Ramparts, down the full length of The Barrens, to The Great Lift, if done on foot without mounts, would take a full week, from Sunday morning to the following Saturday evening.

That's far from the largest videogame geography, however - the largest non-sandbox game world currently belongs to Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall, which clocks in at 487,000 square kilometers, or roughly twice the size of Great Britain. The largest game world of all is that of Minecraft, which, theoretically, can expand to roughly eight times the size of the entire planet Earth.
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 2013-01-05 at 04:45 AM.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    While the calculations involved were made long before there were any expansions, someone did once calculate how big Azeroth would be if scaled properly rather than being compressed for gameplay convenience.

I forget the exact numbers they finally reached, but I do recall one example they gave - if put at proper 1:1 scale, traveling from Mor'shan Ramparts, down the full length of The Barrens, to The Great Lift, if done on foot without mounts, would take a full week, from Sunday morning to the following Saturday evening.

That's far from the largest videogame geography, however - the largest non-sandbox game world currently belongs to Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall, which clocks in at 487,000 square kilometers, or roughly twice the size of Great Britain. The largest game world of all is that of Minecraft, which, theoretically, can expand to roughly eight times the size of the entire planet Earth.
    i wouls like to see that minecraft map . . . would probably take up a fair chunk of hdd space

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, so Azeroth is quite large.

well keep in mind it takes almost a full day of travel to get to Orgrimmar from Razor hill, so assume it pretty damn large. Like Stormwind city lore wise, has a couple tens of thousands of citizens (way more than the city could hold in-game) so ya :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Rinoa; 2013-01-05 at 04:55 AM.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
    Someone calculated it and it's actually smaller than the Death Star in Star Wars.
    Maybe the game world, but I doubt the lore world is that small.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaveros View Post
    Maybe the game world, but I doubt the lore world is that small.
    Yes, this'd be the game world. The lore world is a great deal larger.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also brings up another question; how large is unscaled Outland?

Also brings up another question; how large is unscaled Outland?
    Well the areas that are semi connected would be smaller than Northrend. I'm sure there are other land mass left of Draenor.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Pandaria is supposed to be an island in lore. Northrend is a continent. If pandaria was to scale with azeroth it would be the size of echo isles or maybe slightly bigger.
    You'd have to scale up the echo islands. I'd say it's about the size of two Kezans.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Considering it's day/night for both Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor at the same time, Azeroth must be fairly large and we've only ever seen half of it.
    thats just laziness on the developers time; technically its whatever your realm time is, wherever you are in Azeroth. 9 AM in Eastern Kingdoms, say it's 9 AM in Kalimdor when you "arrive". They could put proper cycles in but I think they think it'd cause confusion. Also faction bias as everything would be on Orgrimmar Mean Time <.<

In-game scale is very different from lore scale.

Here's Tobold's estimate of in-game scale based on how fast our heroes run:
    http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2007/01/...s-azeroth.html
    See the comments for many methods to calculate the world size and movement speeds.

Here's another calculation that derives more measurements from movement speed:
    http://www.spaaace.com/cope/?p=111

The two main contents of Azeroth end up being about 40-80 square miles in-game. Since this doesn't really match up with lore, you would have to match in-game scale to lore references to extrapolate the actual world size.

Ingame doesn't match up at all to lore numbers. The two Alliance landing spots in Northrend are mentioned ingame to be about 800 miles apart, while when measured, the distance isn't even 40 miles.

On the other hand, that also makes it rather obvious why it was scaled down. Imagine if all travel took 20 times as long.
    Last edited by huth; 2013-01-05 at 06:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that we've only seen half of Azeroth, apparently the other half is either unexplored or too dangerous to venture to.

Incoming Titanic Island or landscape/continent full of Titan crap.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I know there is no actual way to figure this out, but it's something that has been bugging me and I was hoping someone would be able to make some educated guess.

One NPC in Jade Forest says it's a couple days walk to Kun-Lai Summit so that shows Pandaria is not too big.
    It takes - if I remember right - a day or two to go from Capital City (IE the Undercity) to where Dalaran once was... So it's pretty big.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Gameplay mechanic. I wouldn't think much about it.