Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roblina View Post
    There's threads around the internet stating they're not compatable, and I can't get them to work, so I'll be chasing up a refund in the morning. Steam are way too full of themselves.
    Really? What part of

Requires the base gameRIFT on Steam in order to play.
    Is so hard to understand? I didn't want to sound mean, but to say they are full of themselves by selling products on their platform (you know, the only thing they do already) is ridiculous.

Well I just wanted to make it clear that it does not work, as the posts above contradict each other and it would be a shame for many other people to do the same. And yes, sorry I am pee'd off that what I consider a shop is not giving access to a code to add to your Trion account, to let you play as normal. I am not the only one to be surprised by it.

"RIFT on Steam" -You know there is an option to add non-Steam purchased games to your account right, so it's not as black and white as you make out.
    Robtrina of Sylvanas.
    Robwong of Sylvanas.
    Roblína of Sylvanas.

Well I just wanted to make it clear that it does not work, as the posts above contradict each other and it would be a shame for many other people to do the same. And yes, sorry I am pee'd off that what I consider a shop is not giving access to a code to add to your Trion account, to let you play as normal. I am not the only one to be surprised by it.

"RIFT on Steam" -You know there is an option to add non-Steam purchased games to your account right, so it's not as black and white as you make out.
    I guess the nice thing is that the RIFT / Storm Legion combo is only 6 bucks more than the expansion, and still cheaper than getting the expansion from Trion (30 bucks as opposed to 40).

10+ Year Old Account
    Any user competent enough to add a game launcher on steam should know that doesn't mean the game is 'on steam'. Additionally, it has a link that takes you to the purchase page.... It's a lot more clear than people want to make it out to be. If people are surprised by not being able to 'get a code' from steam to play a game off Steam, you must be completely unfamiliar with the platform and products they sell.

This isn't a gaming website. It's not a retail outlet. This is a DRM Platform. It's not even a license to have unlimited use of whatever you pay for. They can take away the 'service' at any time. I'm not going to insult people for not knowing. You aren't stupid, just uninformed. I do however draw the line at trying to vilify a company that is almost completely transparent in regards to what we're talking about.

It's akin to suing McDonalds for burning yourself on their hot coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It's akin to suing McDonalds for burning yourself on their hot coffee.
    Somebody did that, and won.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yes, that is why I referenced it. I expressed my disdain of the situation then gave an equally disgusting senario brought about by ignorance.

Woah a bit over the top, you think? I haven't used Steam for years, so no I did not know they force people to play through their own software and would refuse to give out a cd key for normal use. Even a moderator here assumed it would work like that. I am not some idiot suing over a hot coffee incident, get over yourself.
    Robtrina of Sylvanas.
    Robwong of Sylvanas.
    Roblína of Sylvanas.

For anyone wondering if you can buy storm legion through steam if you haven't bought the original rift trough steam: You can.

I have just purchased storm legion from steam. When you then go to your game library, you'll see rift sitting there uninstalled. When you then press the install button you download a 40MB file after which you are able to press play. When you press play, a window will pop up giving you your key and starting the launcher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Woah a bit over the top, you think? I haven't used Steam for years, so no I did not know they force people to play through their own software and would refuse to give out a cd key for normal use. Even a moderator here assumed it would work like that. I am not some idiot suing over a hot coffee incident, get over yourself.
    You are getting incredibly offended because you don't read things. I can't help that you don't read. I'm not insulting you for your lack of knowledge, but I'm saying you have no right to vilify a company for your lack of knowledge. I think you are the one who is being over the top.

For your reference:
    http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

Now I'm done clogging up a thread for someone who wants to be overly dramatic. If you don't have the original Rift purchased through Steam, do not buy the expansion pack on Steam. Buy it through a gaming distribution website and not an actual game client/service provider.

If you have accidentally purchased the expansion from Steam, but you don't have the original game on steam, please contact Steam with questions and/or refunds. Their customer service is normally pretty good about those things. If by some odd chance there is a way Steam makes it work for someone in this unique situation, please let us know so that we can communicate that in the future.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aphyrios View Post
    For anyone wondering if you can buy storm legion through steam if you haven't bought the original rift trough steam: You can.

I have just purchased storm legion from steam. When you then go to your game library, you'll see rift sitting there uninstalled. When you then press the install button you download a 40MB file after which you are able to press play. When you press play, a window will pop up giving you your key and starting the launcher.
    Pretty sure you bought this:The RIFT: Storm Legion Bundle includes BOTH RIFT and RIFT: Storm Legion.

Deleted
    This is all very confusing so I would just like to clarify, if possible - If I were to buy the Rift Storm Legion Infinity Edition (which includes RIFT, RIFT: Storm Legion and the collector's items), this would allow me to apply the Storm Legion expansion to my already existing account and then play through Steam? Or would I have to make a new account seeing as how it includes a copy of vanilla RIFT as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LoloPinky View Post
    This is all very confusing so I would just like to clarify, if possible - If I were to buy the Rift Storm Legion Infinity Edition (which includes RIFT, RIFT: Storm Legion and the collector's items), this would allow me to apply the Storm Legion expansion to my already existing account and then play through Steam? Or would I have to make a new account seeing as how it includes a copy of vanilla RIFT as well?
    You can tie it to your original account, but it takes some doing because of an error that hasn't been corrected by Steam. I'll give you the link as soon as I find it. I'm not sure if this means anyone can do this...I'm confused as well.

Here you go: link
    here's where people on the Steam boards are talking about it: link

If someone can determine that this means you don't have to have the original game on Steam to add it to your account, please let us know.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-01-03 at 04:35 PM.

You can tie it to your original account, but it takes some doing because of an error that hasn't been corrected by Steam. I'll give you the link as soon as I find it. I'm not sure if this means anyone can do this...I'm confused as well.

Here you go: link
    here's where people on the Steam boards are talking about it: link

If someone can determine that this means you don't have to have the original game on Steam to add it to your account, please let us know.
    I'm guessing if you can see the CD-Key somewhere in Steam, you can apply it. The trick is to getting to see your Storm Legion information itself since, from what I remember, DLC through Steam doesn't show as a separate instance. Example: I have Civ 5 + Gods and Kings, but it doesn't show Gods and Kings anywhere but under the main Civ 5 entry as DLC. I'm not sure if you just buy Storm Legion if it will show Rift in the entry anywhere. I guess we'll have to see if anyone's willing to spend the 24 bucks to try it out :P

I found a place called GameTap that has Storm Legion for $19.97 but I have never heard of them so I'm not sure whether or not to bite on it. Have you guys heard anything about this company? Apparently I can't post a link, but if you go to gametap-shop.com, it is listed there on the front page.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiqd View Post
    I'm guessing if you can see the CD-Key somewhere in Steam, you can apply it. The trick is to getting to see your Storm Legion information itself since, from what I remember, DLC through Steam doesn't show as a separate instance. Example: I have Civ 5 + Gods and Kings, but it doesn't show Gods and Kings anywhere but under the main Civ 5 entry as DLC. I'm not sure if you just buy Storm Legion if it will show Rift in the entry anywhere. I guess we'll have to see if anyone's willing to spend the 24 bucks to try it out :P
    Yeah, it's difficult since neither company has really commented on this issue...which is odd. The support post from Trion doesn't make it clear whether this lets you simply apply the code to your account and not use it on Steam. All I can do is post Steam's normal procedures, which don't let you do that.

Normally if you buy it on steam, you are going to have to use it on steam...regardless of whether you also have to use a secondary service like GFWL or if it is offline.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 04:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by atrihx View Post
    I found a place called GameTap that has Storm Legion for $19.97 but I have never heard of them so I'm not sure whether or not to bite on it. Have you guys heard anything about this company? Apparently I can't post a link, but if you go to gametap-shop.com, it is listed there on the front page.
    considering that there is a different service called 'GameTap' that is not the site you linked, I would avoid it. I am definitely not going to that link. A quick google of the gametap-shop does not yield good results.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad I was going to wait for Saturday before buying the expansion on Steam, but now I know that I shouldn't. Ty for all the replies!
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

[/COLOR]
    Pretty sure you bought this:The RIFT: Storm Legion Bundle includes BOTH RIFT and RIFT: Storm Legion.
    I bought the Infinity edition through steam

I wonder if you buy it as a gift for someone who has RIFT installed through Steam, can they just look at the code for you and give it to you? I mean, you need to input the code through Trion's website to activate it anyway, right?
    Last edited by Wiqd; 2013-01-04 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yes, that is why I referenced it. I expressed my disdain of the situation then gave an equally disgusting senario brought about by ignorance.
    The only ignorance shown here is of those people who think the lawsuit was frivolous.

MickeyD's was sued because their coffee was not just hot, it was scalding hot - way outside of acceptable limits. They served the coffee ~40% hotter than other coffee places, and did so without any evaluation whatsoever on the safety hazards of doing so. In fact, the coffee temperature was high enough to instantly vaporize skin on contact, giving the woman third degree burns almost immediately (further compounded by the fact that she was wearing pants that absorbed and held water close to her skin).

This wasn't their first case either - there were hundreds of complaints about coffee temperature and they did nothing about it. AND the woman was very nice about it - she only wanted 20k from them to pay for skin surgery on her vag to remove the burns. McDonalds decided to play tough and strongarm her, and they got fucked for it. Deservedly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    The only ignorance shown here is of those people who think the lawsuit was frivolous.
    You assume we're talking about the one case that won and not the thousand others that have been rejected for stupidity and frivolity over the years. I could link the Wikipedia or Google search, but I'm sure you've looked at it. I don't really disagree that particular event was valid, but even the jury didn't find the company fully at fault and the judge reduced compensation by a metric eff ton.

In any event, not going to keep derailing the thread like this since we still don't have a valid answer to the questions about Steam.

You assume we're talking about the one case that won and not the thousand others that have been rejected for stupidity and frivolity over the years. I could link the Wikipedia or Google search, but I'm sure you've looked at it. I don't really disagree that particular event was valid, but even the jury didn't find the company fully at fault and the judge reduced compensation by a metric eff ton.

In any event, not going to keep derailing the thread like this since we still don't have a valid answer to the questions about Steam.
    What I suggested works. You can gift SL to someone who has RIFT through Steam, have them give you the key and you can activate it via Trion's website I know the sale is almost done, but there you go.