Page 31 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Wow don't know how I missed this thread. Feel free to chop my intro paragraph out and continue using the rest of the write-up, or portions of it as you see fit.

Happens more than you think That's why we put together the Directory and trimmed the stickies down just just a few.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Updated the OP.
    Wait...why are you putting a 'first impressions' from someone who has admittedly very limited experience with the game and has made zero previous contributions to the thread as an update to the OP? That makes zero sense.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-12-27 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Wait...why are you putting a 'first impressions' from someone who has admittedly very limited experience with the game and has made zero previous contributions to the thread as an update to the OP? That makes zero sense.
    For the record I kind of agree with this. My post was more along the lines of 'As an MMO player, what do I need to know about firefall in order to decide whether or not I want to play it'. The original info in the thread was closer to a direct explanation of the game. Unfortunately, it was a bit sterile and had a lot of content that was essentially pulled from the firefall website, meaning that it wasn't necessarily relatable to the actual gameplay experience. Also, with the amount that the game can and has changed, having a more recent viewpoint is useful.

I'm not a fan of these "megathread"s at all, nobody wants to read through all the pages and the OPs often get out of date, but if that's the way it has to be, maybe my info can be put under the original OP with something like "here's dennisdkramer's view of the game as of 27/12/2012".. or something like that I don't know.

I tried to go beyond how the game is and give a sense of how it feels; hopefully that perspective is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    And I thought that someone with limited experience would be perfect for "first impressions" of a game, which are meant to be based on how the game is presented to and experienced by someone who is new to it.

It makes lots of sense, as long as the context is clear.

There is room for both those and more detailed reviews since they both bring something useful.
    The problem is those reading do not always understand the difference.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    And I thought that someone with limited experience would be perfect for "first impressions" of a game, which are meant to be based on how the game is presented to and experienced by someone who is new to it.

It makes lots of sense, as long as the context is clear.

There is room for both those and more detailed reviews since they both bring something useful.
    The problem is those reading do not always understand the difference.
    The first impressions isn't a problem. People post first impressions of a game in the threads of this subforum all the time. The problem is that a first impressions was used as an update to the OP when none of the information provided was actually any kind of update and the mod did nothing more than a copy/paste job over what was already there. Hell, I'd have less of a problem if the other OP was removed instead of just being smothered on top of it.

Deleted
    I played this game for a while now and I must say it feels like a fresh breath of air from all the fantasy mmos out there. Right now im still having fun but im fearing this game will burn me out after a while just like battlefield 3 did (this game is closer to bf3 than any mmo I can think of at this point).

The lack of explanation about upgrading battleframes is kinda dissapointing, I started by upgrading one branch all the way up then found out that wasnt enough so I upgraded another branch but apparently doing the top and buttom branch doesnt work so now I also upgraded the middle branch. Basically I should have been 2-3 upgrades into the tier 2 battleframe but because of the lack of explanation im still in tier 1 (just need the battleframe itself now). I really hope this is something they will explain better later on as I can see many new players quitting the game if they end up wasting hours of gameplay because it isnt explained well enough.

As for raids or rather instanced raids, I really hope they dont do them. However it would be nice with super hard world encounters like a super incursion or super tornado. Preferably something that requires atleast a balanced group of 10 players, engineers take out small spawns with their turrets, assault, medic and dreadnaugth take out the medium to large spawns and recon take out the super big ones. Obviously the medics would also be ressing and healing people and dreadnaughts trying to take aggro for "tanking".

Current incursions and tornadoes are cool and super fun but I have 2 manned an incursion as recon + medic and 3 manned a tornado and theres nothing MMO about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    havnt played it since an update made the games exe file constantly appear unsafe to my firewall programs so i uninstalled it just incase

seems to happen alot with games in closed beta and even tho raiderz is out it still gives me warnings about it and just decided to be all picky about it

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    As for raids or rather instanced raids, I really hope they dont do them. However it would be nice with super hard world encounters like a super incursion or super tornado. Preferably something that requires atleast a balanced group of 10 players, engineers take out small spawns with their turrets, assault, medic and dreadnaugth take out the medium to large spawns and recon take out the super big ones. Obviously the medics would also be ressing and healing people and dreadnaughts trying to take aggro for "tanking".

Current incursions and tornadoes are cool and super fun but I have 2 manned an incursion as recon + medic and 3 manned a tornado and theres nothing MMO about that.
    I really hope that they DO. Having difficult content for people to progress through is an important aspect of "endgame", which is an important aspect of MMO play - especially for PvE focused players.

I would LOVE if there were massive open world encounters (and i really hope they have them) but I don't think that that is enough to qualify as an endgame. It is very difficult for developers to design content that A) requires a certain number of people and B) scales up in difficulty if you have more than that number - without instancing the content to only allow entry to a certain amount of players. It is so hard, in fact, that its functionally impossible to develop for.

The GOOD news is that firefall is built on an impeccable foundation to cater to everyone. Since drops are in the form of minerals of varying rarities, but those minerals can be refined into the better ones, nobody is forced to raid. Instanced raid content can exist to test people's skill and give PvE "raiders" their much-needed sense of accomplishment, and it can drop extremely good minerals - but those minerals will be obtainable through a bit more time (and hopefully some similarly skill-based content) to anyone who doesn't want to raid. Theoretically, high-ranked pvp will award similar materials to top-tier pve.

Additionally, this core 'loot' concept allows for some interesting solo possibilities. It would be possible to implement a system, for example, whereby if someone happened to solo an entire chosen incursion (I personally think they should be too difficult to solo, but currently its possible) they receive extremely good rewards for their clear demonstration of skill.

I have a lot of ideas, Red5, if you're listening. For example, have raids drop materials for repulsor amplifiers, or possibly materials to make new amplifiers, so that those people can take their pve accomplishments and bring them to the rest of the playerbase as part of the story as well as events that everyone can participate in. It wasn't just the event at the gates of AQ that made it amazing, it was the server-wide struggle to get there, and the ultimate pride of being the first.. or even part of the team that made it happen. If anyon and their mother can do events like that anytime, they're meaningless. If the best of the best have to bring it about, they're priceless.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 05:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    havnt played it since an update made the games exe file constantly appear unsafe to my firewall programs so i uninstalled it just incase

seems to happen alot with games in closed beta and even tho raiderz is out it still gives me warnings about it and just decided to be all picky about it
    Legitimate files appear unsafe to firewall programes all the time. Frankly, you're being extremely paranoid, like "I heard a noise upstairs so there must be a ghost" paranoid.
    Last edited by dennisdkramer; 2013-01-01 at 02:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    Legitimate files appear unsafe to firewall programes all the time. Frankly, you're being extremely paranoid, like "I heard a noise upstairs so there must be a ghost" paranoid.
    Close, but not 100% accurate, it is not a legitimate file thing, but a change to an exe thing. Anytime you have a exe that is permitted access through the firewall, and it changes, you must give it permission again, incase the exe file was changed without your knowledge. Achaman is correct, iit does happen to a lot of games in closed beta, since the exe file changes regularly, but it also happens to WoW after every patch.

The important thing to be aware of, is if you are prompted to allow access to the firewall again, but there was no recent patch.

Deleted
    does somebody maybe have a beta-key for this game to spare??
    because im really interested in it and desparate to play it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Check your Inbox Syom

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    When I first saw this game, it wasn't even in beta and was to be released before Christmas of 2011. How is it still in beta?! :S
    Its going to do a vindictus and roll slowly into a live over the course of a year

edit: its totally playable right now. Its actually quite good.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-01-05 at 04:06 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    I still have 3 invites to spare btw if any1 wants, i'll be leaving for work shortly and ill be back later tonight and will send them on a first come first serve basis .

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Ahhh, makes sense I guess.

I actually played the beta when it first started. I liked what little I played. I may even have some beta keys somewhere tbh :S I'll share them if I find them!
    Well, come back and check it out about every month. (they do updates p frequently.)
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I'll take an invite if anyone's got an extra. I played one beta weekend a few weeks ago and can't wait to get back in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markov41 View Post
    I'll take an invite if anyone's got an extra. I played one beta weekend a few weeks ago and can't wait to get back in.
    Check your inbox mate.

Also for reference i believe the place to redeem the keys is http://beta.firefallthegame.com/ , you'll likely have to create a account first.

Edit: I'm out of keys now, if i get more , i'll be sure to give them here.
    Last edited by Razael; 2013-01-05 at 11:46 PM.

i played it for a few hous and it looks fun. however, it seems that people will be burned out on it very very quickly. you have about 6? things to do: tornado, thumping, big drop ship, little drop ship, defenc tower, capture tower, push blue plasma away, kill bounty, get back thumper. however, all play exactly the same:kill many many waves of enemies. i hope they patch in new exciting content. pvp seems fun but its annoying to have this grinding again. also balance seem kinds broken (assault wtf. they completely miss me and still hit me for 1/4 of my max hp.)

Here is a beta key for anyone interested.

ZQO75-5U1TY-ICBDA-D2LSX

I've got a few more but I am only going to post them one at a time.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 02:05 PM ----------

Another invite, previous one has been used.

5DUDD-KMKLP-A2GH6-JFYHA

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 05:38 PM ----------

Another invite, since the previous was used.

NX24H-LL1GG-08AQV-LTHB5

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DOnvito293 View Post
    i played it for a few hous and it looks fun. however, it seems that people will be burned out on it very very quickly. you have about 6? things to do: tornado, thumping, big drop ship, little drop ship, defenc tower, capture tower, push blue plasma away, kill bounty, get back thumper. however, all play exactly the same:kill many many waves of enemies. i hope they patch in new exciting content. pvp seems fun but its annoying to have this grinding again. also balance seem kinds broken (assault wtf. they completely miss me and still hit me for 1/4 of my max hp.)
    they're (obviously) developing the game whilst they're running the closed "beta" ... i'm not a fan of this either, i'd rather have a more or less complete game with a beta is solely for finding bugs/glitches/etc., at the moment the content (or the lack of it) is rather disappointing.
    But they're adding content continuously after all...

ah ...
    got two spare keys :

7J3LT-A84M8-4RDF9-PGHRX

GDYIP-O17TR-3SETM-K9E0T